TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:13 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2490 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1102 103 104 105 106125 Next

Which team do you think will have the upper hand with the new regs?
Poll ended at Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:52 pm
Mercedes 26%  26%  [ 11 ]
Red Bull 17%  17%  [ 7 ]
Ferrari 19%  19%  [ 8 ]
McLaren 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Alpine 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Alpha Tauri 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Aston Martin 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Williams 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Alfa Romeo 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Haas 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Total votes: 42
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:28 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Well teams are now considered franchises, and the reason we don"t have a new team is to increase the value of the current franchises' should they be sold, so the Americanisation has already happened.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:58 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
next step will be salary caps for the drivers and that might drive away the biggest names in the sport

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:34 pm 
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.

EAS wrote:
Philthy82 wrote:
Vassago wrote:

That won't pass the scrutiny. Too much money involved for manufacturers to be caught out by some gimmick points system like that.

I'd put money on it happening sooner than 2026. They've already attempted to increase the unpredictability of races and reduce the performance gap with a number of changes (car regs, sprint races, budget cap) with limited success as far as the actual racing product goes. They'll very quickly lose patience with the lack of storylines this racing is producing, and introduce something to try and stop anyone running away with the championship going forwards. Could be success ballast, could be reverse grid races, could be the return of the double points finale. But I don't see Liberty tolerating another 7 years of one team dominating, even if it's not Merc.

You might say the teams won't tolerate it and threaten to leave like they have in the past, but I don't think the teams have quite as much power as they used to considering F1's current target audience and how the sport is marketed. And I don't think Liberty gives much of a shit what the teams want if they think the audience is losing interest and they're losing money.

Being an american company, surely Liberty will have the american leagues as a benchmark. At the NFL, it took nearly 20 years for the Patriots to win 6 Super Bowls and this is called a dysnasty. A team with such numebrs at F1 probably would be the second best team at such a span.

But the teams are too dumb to work together and they'd rather have a row of titles bigger than Mercedes' one even at the expense of the sport rather than working together to have a less predictable competition to make the sport more attractive.

Sometimes I wish Libery could just kick all the team owners from the sport and bring some american businessmen to replace the current teams with generic replicas of the them.

Well, the new regs were supposed to even the playing field and allthough Mercedes has regressed, Ferrari fumbled the season away anyway. And the midfield looks more or less the same with maybe McLaren not making the expected step up and one of their drivers looking washed up. The more things change, the more they stay the same. Haas looks their best in the first two months and then tails off when the development race heats up mid-season. We've all seen this movie before several times. Williams has made some gains and isn't as much off the pace as they used to but that's not what moves the needle for Liberty either. So those small changes are largely ignored.

NASCAR is different, teams are basically clients, the generation of cars lasts for 5-6 years and the bodywork changes are otherwise minimal. Other than this two year stretch when Gibbs & SHR won like 80% of the races it's still a wide open competition. Forget the super speedways coin toss, more drivers can win anywhere than it used to happen. Right now the most accomplished driver who hasn't won a Cup race yet is probably Ty Dillon? Even Chris Buescher won a non-rain shortended race. That kind of spread of winners is impossible to happen in F1 no matter what the points system will be.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:17 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
next step will be salary caps for the drivers and that might drive away the biggest names in the sport

That will never, ever happen. If it does that will be day 1 of the breakaway series.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:34 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LucasWheldon wrote:

Where would they go? What series could offer them a similar salary?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:48 am 

micha wrote:
LucasWheldon wrote:

Have you heard of the LIV Series in golf? PGA Tour also had the monopoly until they didn't.

Oil money can easily be spend on disgruntled F1 drivers. The only thing that prevents the sheiks from investing into some filthy rich super team for Le Mans or whatever is the fact they are seemingly more focused on sports like football or athletics that give them better global marketing exposure.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:25 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

micha wrote:
or maybe they should panic less.

or maybe we should panic less :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:10 am 

Vassago wrote:
micha wrote:
LucasWheldon wrote:

Have you heard of the LIV Series in golf? PGA Tour also had the monopoly until they didn't.

Oil money can easily be spend on disgruntled F1 drivers. The only thing that prevents the sheiks from investing into some filthy rich super team for Le Mans or whatever is the fact they are seemingly more focused on sports like football or athletics that give them better global marketing exposure.

#bringbackA1GP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:49 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Vassago wrote:
micha wrote:
LucasWheldon wrote:

Football is much easier to get success in. Simply buying a few good players will, in most cases, bring success. In racing you can spent millions and bring in the talent and still fail. Toyota being a prime example.

And if they really wanted to invest in racing they'll buy F1.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:43 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I've seen rumours today (not totally made-up, maybe) that Red Bull and Aston Martin have exceeded the cost cap this year. Red Bull may have also done so last year, which could be grounds for a slap on the wrist.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:46 am 

This quote is interesting:
Quote:
Further comments by Fabrega: "Rumors that some teams would not have respected the budget limit for the 2021 season. The spending limit is very difficult to control, but knowing it 9 months after the end of the season makes it difficult to apply and sanction. And in 2022, it looks like it will be more of the same"

Kinda undermines the process if it's difficult to police or sanction in the first place. Could be some spicy few weeks ahead of us.

Also quite the coincidence that some teams have begun basically F1 for the gentleman programs of late such as the RB17 which use F1 componentry.

Last edited by Ospif1 on Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:49 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My understanding was that it was about last year. Also read that its by calculations by Ferrari and Mercedes......

I honestly expect this to become a pot and kettle situation.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:52 am 

micha wrote:
My understanding was that it was about last year. Also read that its by calculations by Ferrari and Mercedes......

I honestly expect this to become a pot and kettle situation.

Was inevitable that at some stage there would be a saga revolving about the budget cap. It's difficult to police and F1 teams by nature are going to find ways to bend the rules whenever they think of a possible way of doing so. Whether it's an empty accusation we will find out but I'll be surprised if every team is completely clean.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:55 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

It was always going to turn into a battle of creative accounting. I'm not sure how you can fully police it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:00 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Schumifan wrote:
It was always going to turn into a battle of creative accounting. I'm not sure how you can fully police it.

I've seen an interview with Wolff a few months ago where he said something along the lines of "if you don't put it on the car at any point, it doesn't count towards the budget". So you could create multiple front wing designs for millions but only the one actually being used counts.

It's gonna be a shitshow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:07 pm 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Schumifan wrote:

have these guys do the books

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:20 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

A non-issue. Take out the damage caused by Pirelli and Mercedes and the spending was under the cap.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:23 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Horner now claiming they where under budget.

Would be hilarious if Mercedes is in fact the one marginally over and Aston Martin majorly overspending.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:31 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

micha wrote:

Would be hilarious if Mercedes is in fact the one marginally over and Aston Martin majorly overspending.

He did pretty much telegraph this earlier in the season though, when he was saying nobody would get to the end of the season without exceeding the cap.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:33 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

gkmotorsport wrote:
micha wrote:

He did pretty much telegraph this earlier in the season though, when he was saying nobody would get to the end of the season without exceeding the cap.

The news is about 2021. 2022 has an adjusted cap due to the big inflation this year. That was what Horner was referring to earlier this year

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2490 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1102 103 104 105 106125 Next