TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 11:39 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2490 posts ]  Go to page Previous 195 96 97 98 99125 Next

Which team do you think will have the upper hand with the new regs?
Poll ended at Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:52 pm
Mercedes 26%  26%  [ 11 ]
Red Bull 17%  17%  [ 7 ]
Ferrari 19%  19%  [ 8 ]
McLaren 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Alpine 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Alpha Tauri 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Aston Martin 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Williams 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Alfa Romeo 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Haas 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Total votes: 42
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:04 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

VirtuaIceMan wrote:
Slightly F1 related (Ralph Firman involved in bringing back Van Diemen name), but imagine a formula car and a sports car had a baby... yuck!

https://www.motorsport.com/openwheel/ne ... /10365496/

@Ugly/Bizarre racing cars thread :o

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:20 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sergio wrote:
Jeeez hahahah they need to extend this theme at the of the season. So they can add Zandvoort blunder and what more is to come :D

Autosport has uploaded the best timeline story so far about the Piastri saga.
Alpine realy tried to slander Piastri's name with that loyalty b@ll.

Zak Brown knew Riciardo was already done, so that tweet of Riciardo staying with mclaren in 2023 was just against all odds but good for negotiating to buy the contract off.
Webber apollogised to Riciardo the way things went but i think he shouldnt have to.
He got at least a bag full of money and his name/image than going completely Damon Hill 1999.

This muppet Peter Windsor is STILL blaming Piastri for his lack of loyalty. @4:20. But then again he lost his credibility after lying through his teeth about the whole USA F1 thing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:12 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Anyone embedded deep enough in F1 knows that Peter Windsor's opinion isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:41 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Red Bull Porsche deal seems officially off the table.
Guess Honda will come back with them then. Wonder who gets Porsche now. Williams?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:23 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Honda would be stupid not to jump at this opportunity

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:23 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Wasn't Williams one of the early targets?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:31 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Maybe they'll have to make their own team :whistling:

Surely Domenicali must be ok with a brand with such history joining the sport that he'd wave his ludicrous "20 cars only" rule :?

Twitter:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:35 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
Maybe they'll have to make their own team :whistling:

Surely Domenicali must be ok with a brand with such history joining the sport that he'd wave his ludicrous "20 cars only" rule :?

If Porsche goes the own team route and gets allowed in in a heartbeat shit might actually hit the fan. Andretti surely will start a big fuss about that in court. :whistling:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:46 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Porsche is also about to be sold by VAG so maybe they can put a condition linking Zuffenhausen to a F1 program

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:43 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

so I keep seeing the stuff with the super licenses & Herta; and I'm a bit confused + generally curious here but also noticing something just seems off

does anyone actually know which points standings the FIA + the media is basing on for this ranking regarding Herta?

does it include all tracks / full championship (goes against their own rulebook by counting oval races & ungraded road circuits - FIA appendix L; page 61) or just solely the FIA graded tracks (as per the rulebook)

and another wrinkle: does that include future races (or) exclude past results from tracks/layouts that have lost their FIA graded license (or let them expire) in the period?

It seems like the media is basing it off of full series points; which does lower Herta's ranking a bit compared to if it was all road courses (as most of Herta's bad finishes has been ovals over the years)

however; seems like there's a couple road courses with no ranking as well - most notably the layout that both IndyCar & NASCAR use at Indianapolis (the Grade 1 rank was on the 4.192km layout, which had the 3rd sector dozed in 2008 for the motorcycle layout modifications; the G1 rank expired on May 10, before the 2 IndyCar road course races this season at said venue).

here's the full list of North American circuits & their FIA license status:
Spoiler:
without a current FIA license as of last month:
from super license scoring series in past years - based from the current FIA circuit ranking doc (dated August 15th)
- Belle Isle (expired between May & August; track not being used after this year so makes sense)
- Charlotte | ROVAL
- CoTA (expired on March 31 according to Wiki; will need to be renewed for USGP)
- Daytona | road
- Indianapolis | Road (old Grade 1 expired on May 10, 2022; doesn't appear to ever include the newer IndyCar/NASCAR layout)
- Lime Rock (expired on April 2, 2022 according to Wiki)
- Sebring (expired on August 31, 2021; held WEC since but still missing from doc; temp license?)
- Toronto (expired on July 12, 2020 according to Wiki)
- Trois-Riveries (expired on August 20, 2020 according to Wiki)
- VIR (expired on April 3, 2022 according to Wiki)
- Watkins Glen | boot
- Watkins Glen | short

full list of FIA licensed tracks in North America (as of August 15):
- Barber (grade 2)
- Brainerd [grade 3]
- Homestead | infield [grade 3]
- Laguna Seca (grade 2)
- Long Beach (grade 2)
- Mexico City (grade 1)
- Mexico City | Formula E (grade 3E)
- Miami (grade 1)
- Mid-Ohio (grade 2)
- Montreal (grade 1)
- Mosport (grade 2)
- Nashville Streets (grade 2)
- New Jersey [grade 3]
- NYC | Formula E (grade 3E)
- NOLA (grade 2)
- NOLA | esses (grade 2)
- Portland (grade 2)
- Puebla [grade 3]
- Puebla | Formula E (grade 3E)
- Road America (grade 2)
- Road Atlanta (grade 2)
- Sonoma (grade 2); layout length is 3.685km - which isn't even a layout here (full & modified IndyCar/WTCC is longer; NASCAR is shorter)
- St. Petersburg (grade 2)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:13 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Herta's points are as follows;

2018: 0 points (2nd in Indy Lights) - this season would be worth 12 but the field was too small to give out SL points.
2019: 4 points (7th in Indycar)
2020: 20 points (3rd in Indycar)
2021: 8 points (5th in Indycar)

He has 32, and will stay at 32 for next year because he won't improve on the 7th from 2019, but will still keep the 4 points from that year because of the bat flu rule (best 3 from past 4 seasons).

Anyway, it's largely irrelevant as it is now being reported that the FIA have refused to bump his points up, so Gasly will stay put and Doohan is likely to get Alpine's call.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:21 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

then Colton proceeds to win Indy 500 next year and make the FIA look like the bunch of fools they are

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:22 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

irrelevant? yes - no doubt. I don't expect Herta to ever get a F1 shot, nor will Sargeant even if he wins the damn F2 championship

but still doesn't answer my question - are those points based on every race (i.e. ovals, unlicensed venues) or just the FIA licensed venues?

if it's the former - then FIA is going against their own rules

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:37 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I think the line in the rulebook means that only the road courses have to be FIA-compliant for the whole championship to be worth points.

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:26 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

if IMSA and WEC can work together for the future of motorsport it's at least possible for F1 and IndyCar to work something out for the future. it would be in both of their interests to do so.

realistically, what would IndyCar need to do to legitimize their sport as a viable source for open-wheel talent in the eyes of F1? i can understand upgrading some of the tracks and bringing back COTA, but skill levels and competitiveness are already better than F2 - “Thank you. The average level of competition, races almost twice as long, no tire saving so full attack whole time, physically draining, much more variety of tracks so adaptability is key. F2 has its own quirks which are hard to master, but Indy takes the cake.” - Callum Ilott, F2 runner-up and IndyCar driver.

seems like the biggest hurdle for them to work together is F1 egos

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:25 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Callum Illot's statement is a load of horse shit when you consider Indycar races are way more about saving Fuel than they are racing full throttle, probably more than any other series in the world

Their red tyres go off pretty fast too so they are looking after them, it's just they're saving fuel so much that becomes their primary concern and the tyres aren't taxed as much as they would be if they were running flat out
(Or more likely, if they banned refueling then, yes, they'd be saving the tyres just as much as F1 to still run at the slowest speed possible)

As for what Indycar can do to make the FIA recognise them? Well, do the one thing Indycar will not and should not do: Admit it is just a ladder on the rung to F1 than a destination for drivers in its own right
The FIA Points system is more a business decision from the FIA point of view so they can promote their championships, keep the majority of drivers within their ladder and punish those who join rival series
It's the same way they'd add "No open wheel series of X amount of horsepower can run here if you book an F1 race at your track", eliminating Indycar and any other rival Single seater series from invading Europe and other F1 territory (clause seemingly only applies to Europe though, since COTA and Montreal have shared F1 and Indycar/CART dates)

If Roger sold Indycar to the FIA, there'd suddenly be no problem with the amount of points it generated, but it would forever be the world's number 2 Open wheel series in the FIA's eyes and everything about it would be restructured to serve F1
No thanks.

Twitter:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:29 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
If Roger sold Indycar to the FIA, there'd suddenly be no problem with the amount of points it generated, but it would forever be the world's number 2 Open wheel series in the FIA's eyes and everything about it would be restructured to serve F1
No thanks.

surely they would turn into something like F1,5 as de facto final ladder for F1 but racing only on Grade 1 tracks, dunno what would they do with the Indy 500 though, is the greatest event in the world, even greatest than F1 given the tradition and difficulty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:54 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

i don't envision penske ever selling to F1, but rodger cares enough about motorsport as a whole to work together with F1 if they were ever interested in building those bridges so-to-speak. as u.s. awareness grows for F1 i could see doors opening towards cooperation.

and with so many european formula drivers ending up in indycar any exposure to their formula series (through closer ties to indycar) is bound to boost interest in their product as a whole. this is why i think a deal with andretti still has a chance to go forward - the revenue from a deeper, more robust u.s. fanbase is bound to generate more annual revenue than the current teams would have to share by allowing andretti to join the circus. both scenarios are a bit optimistic, i admit; but we thought the same thing about CART/indy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:41 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Aston Martin signed Drugovich into its new development driver program.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:18 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

De Vries nearly got the drive permanently.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/albon ... /10368449/

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2490 posts ]  Go to page Previous 195 96 97 98 99125 Next