TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:19 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2490 posts ]  Go to page Previous 152 53 54 55 56125 Next

Which team do you think will have the upper hand with the new regs?
Poll ended at Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:52 pm
Mercedes 26%  26%  [ 11 ]
Red Bull 17%  17%  [ 7 ]
Ferrari 19%  19%  [ 8 ]
McLaren 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Alpine 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Alpha Tauri 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Aston Martin 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Williams 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Alfa Romeo 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Haas 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Total votes: 42
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 12:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

micha wrote:
peterohanrahanrahan wrote:
micha wrote:
oh yeah breakaway..... how did that work out for Indycar again?

Indycar came out of it pretty well in the end didn't it?

Indycar survived because it had the Indy 500. without it I doubt either series would have survived.

F1 doesnt really have its own Indy 500. Yes, we all have our favorite tracks but none have the same name as the Indy 500.
Hell, even Monaco isnt safe anymore.

Monaco's on borrowed time isn't it? They're not going to bend over backwards to keep it, it's just a historic parade. I don't feel that it has the same magic it used to.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 12:39 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

There is something admirable about the brass needed to ask Monaco to start paying money whilst at the same time spaffing a quarter of a billion on a piece of scrubland in the middle of a city just to host 1 race.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 1:05 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Gaara wrote:
micha wrote:

Indycar survived because it had the Indy 500. without it I doubt either series would have survived.

F1 doesnt really have its own Indy 500. Yes, we all have our favorite tracks but none have the same name as the Indy 500.

Monaco's on borrowed time isn't it? They're not going to bend over backwards to keep it, it's just a historic parade. I don't feel that it has the same magic it used to.

That's what happens when a third of your calendar consists of street circuits, compared to just 3 15 years ago. It's appeal has gotten diluted.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 4:19 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Vassago wrote:
Given how expensive F1 cars are, that breakaway series would be filled with pay drivers to say the very least.

A spec series based on an old F1 car would be barely more expensive than F2.

Vassago wrote:
Which manufacturer would even enter a Saudi-backed series?

I said the Saudi money but lets say for argument sake the money came from any old congolmerate or billionaire and disregard sports washing.

Vassago wrote:
It's one thing to push that idea in golf where selling clubs is pretty one-dimensional and doesn't affect any wider part of business, moreover supporting that Saudi league are 40+ over-the-hill players. You're basically calling for a Aurora F1 rebirth but with Saudi money? Hmm... I don't see this concept lasting more than 3-4 years at best even if it happens.

Die hard fans want F1 to go back to it's traditional roots of loud cars and simple machinery. A breakaway is the only way it's ever going to happen.

Even if it lasts 3-4 years it will at least give F1 something to think about, it's done half well.

micha wrote:
oh yeah breakaway..... how did that work out for Indycar again?

Picture this

A spec grand prix series using an early 00's F1 car with a spec V10 or V12 engine.
Fill the grid with the talent on the fringe of F1, both new and old.
Put it on race tracks with heritage not on the F1 calendar. Donington, Watkins Glen, Adelaide, Fuji, could name 50 half decent race tracks who don't have an F1 race.

Could go on for ages but 95% of TBK'ers would kill for something like that.

EDIT: I can't quote for shit
Wasn't A1GP not that far off this? Middle East backing, spec car, admittedly the circuit selection wasn't great.

Lasted a few years then the backers got fed up putting cash in and gave up. I think one of the problems is how many years of support a series would need to get to the point where it can compete with F1, you'd need very deep pockets

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 6:35 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

So the green Aston Martin might get interesting. Red Bull now claiming data was downloaded while Fallows was on Gardening leave.
Obvious a case of grain and salt etc but its not the first time Aston Martin used less than legal acquired information on their car while owned by stroll sr.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 6:48 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

trout wrote:
Omega wrote:
trout wrote:
more races could potentially lower ticket prices.

Miami proved that that statement is rubbish

hence "potentially"

having 3 events in the us creates less pressure for austin to appeal to the same customer base as miami or vegas.

it's F1 so that doesn't matter. As they add in the amusement park at CoTA; I'd bet seating will be cut further & tickets made more expensive

Montreal will still be cheaper than CoTA/Miami/Vegas for most Americans (and that's factoring in the passport fees and time spent learning a remote amount of French so your not fully lost)

LucasWheldon wrote:
I wonder if Liberty is going to americanize the series further more and start dubbing some races as the "crown jewels", giving big prize money to the winners

IMO: purses need to be raised across the board, that's been needed in many series for decades now

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 1:13 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
funny that every new track in a shoreline was created to become the "new Monaco"

Long Beach was the "Monaco of southern California"
Valencia was the "spanish Monaco"

I wonder if Liberty is going to americanize the series further more and start dubbing some races as the "crown jewels", giving big prize money to the winners. Unfortunately they'll pick the middle east races because they would provide the prizes

I think that the race in Las Vegas will become one naturally with so many landmarks, and long wide straights will probably make the racing great there. We just need a great energy from the spectators, and those will probably deliver as well.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 9:54 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

amq55 wrote:
Gaara wrote:
micha wrote:

That's what happens when a third of your calendar consists of street circuits, compared to just 3 15 years ago. It's appeal has gotten diluted.

This is a serious threat to Monaco indeed. Some suggest that perhaps the format should be changed to better stand out. A bit like how the Indy 500 has one month, bump day, 33 starters, 3-wide starts etc...

It could be a one-lap qualy which would truly enhances the precision needed here, it could be the weekend format, or the race distance, points, more entrants... Something to keep it the "crown" it once were.

Objectively speaking though, is the challenge even as hard as it used to be? Singapore is longer and more physically challenging, Saudi and Baku are more dangerous... Everything Monaco had, seems like it's being done bigger and better elsewhere. What do drivers say about the challenge compared to other tracks?

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 10:12 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
and insisting to have the race in the same day as the Indy 500 doesn't help it either

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 10:19 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Coldtyre wrote:
Objectively speaking though, is the challenge even as hard as it used to be?

Opening up St Devote, Swimming Pool and Rascasse has removed a lot of the challenge tbh.

Got to admit I'm surprised that so many people (not specifically on here, but the internet in general) are getting behind this idea that Monaco's had its day. Yeah it's most likely going to be a procession, we know that. It's still one of the most unique motor races in the world and one I look forward to every year. Ditching Monaco from the F1 calendar is almost unthinkable to me.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 10:55 pm 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Gaara wrote:
micha wrote:

Monaco will become a Formula E venue in short order

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 11:03 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

They just need to implement some Monaco-only rules.

I'd say: Extremely low downforce package.

That's it. Race saved.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 11:38 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

mclaren2008 wrote:

My breakaway series which people were poo-pooing earlier will gladly have the race.

If I get a gofundme going do we think I can get $1bn together?

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 4:36 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

mclaren2008 wrote:

My breakaway series which people were poo-pooing earlier will gladly have the race.

If I get a gofundme going do we think I can get $1bn together?

Musk is your best bet. Just give him a safe space where he can post uncensored bullcrap, and you have your billions. But be quick, he's bleeding them billions real quick at the moment.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 5:00 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Coldtyre wrote:
Musk is your best bet. Just give him a safe space where he can post uncensored bullcrap, and you have your billions. But be quick, he's bleeding them billions real quick at the moment.

Hmm don't think Mr. Electric Car will want to get behind my plans :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 5:40 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ah, somehow thought it was electric from context, which didn't feel right :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 12:08 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
so Monaco will be just another page in history like Pau, Rouen and Enna Pergusa?

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 1:22 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

They should make the race 300km´s like all the other ones. What is it now? 270? A proper endurance test. And they have to use all 3 compounds, so that you can´t do a 1 stop race.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:11 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

monaco isn't going anywhere. too many drivers live there, it has too much history, and the rich people who make the decisions like it way more than they care about how the racing product actually delivers.

the monaco race is more about everything surrounding the race than about the actual race

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 11:18 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I personally love Monaco, see the cars fly around such narrow confines... just the concept of having a race there is nuts! It's epic :flag:

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2490 posts ]  Go to page Previous 152 53 54 55 56125 Next