TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:43 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 13 Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:21 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

James B wrote:
Karan wrote:
It's too bad Norris couldn't pull out the win today, but it looks like his rash immaturity has cost him a 2nd win this season...

After clearly overestimating worsening conditions in Spa costing himself a likely pole (and thus the automatic win on Sunday) and then today ignoring the team's advice even though they had a far better picture of the conditions.

How is it his fault? The team didn't tell him the rain was going to get heavier. They were too busy track-watching and not looking at the radar. Lando can only make the decision based on the information available to him - at the rate of rain when Lewis came in, it seemed manageable, and there was still a fair chance of a safety car

Then why did the other car pit at the correct time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:36 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

webbsy wrote:
James B wrote:
Karan wrote:
It's too bad Norris couldn't pull out the win today, but it looks like his rash immaturity has cost him a 2nd win this season...

After clearly overestimating worsening conditions in Spa costing himself a likely pole (and thus the automatic win on Sunday) and then today ignoring the team's advice even though they had a far better picture of the conditions.

How is it his fault? The team didn't tell him the rain was going to get heavier. They were too busy track-watching and not looking at the radar. Lando can only make the decision based on the information available to him - at the rate of rain when Lewis came in, it seemed manageable, and there was still a fair chance of a safety car

Then why did the other car pit at the correct time.

Yep, it's still ultimately the driver's choice whether to ask the team for advice based on what they can see and combine it with what the driver's experiencing. Dan did exactly this and said it was a no-brainer to come in.

Having said that I fully accept that when you're leading with 4 laps to go a lot more emotion comes into your decision making, but that's something I think you get better control of as you get more experience.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:02 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Enjoyable race, just gutted for the result at the end

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:13 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Oh yeah I mean no disrespect to Lando. He felt that he could have done a Brad Binder in Moto GP and stayed out on slicks. The temptation was there to go for it, and I guess we saw why Merc are as good a team as they are. They listen to the drivers when they get over ridden at times but over ride them when they absolutely feel the time calls for it.

They don't always get it right, but they get it right more often than not.

Golden opportunity wasted by McLaren but maybe getting back up to the top might sharpen those killer instincts as a team.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:22 am 

Chris A wrote:
I’m so tired of Hamilton’s luck, lol.

In fact, mathematics points out that the lucky one was Max. Mathematics neither lies nor has an opinion. But Hamilton is usually lucky, all champions are.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:05 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I just want to say that I for one am sick of hearing all this stuff about Hamilton's luck. Here is the thing. He puts himself into positions where he is able to capitalize on others misfortune. To say it is luck is to undermine him as a driver.

Yes, I personally think he is a twat. But Lucky? Hell no. Look at his team mate. Bottas is a good solid driver, but never gets himself into positions to capitalize. Hamilton does. Over an entire career.

I get it. People don't want to see him win everything again. But he deserves it. Appreciate it while he lasts.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:11 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

What luck, McLaren stuffed up by thinking they could last 3 laps on a wet track

If anything he was unlucky because he went from gaining 12 pts to only gaining 8

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:30 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ricciardo radio @ 4:03. Norris @6:24

The difference between driver experience and clear communication between mechanic.

It is also really interesting to hear the interaction between all the drivers and mechanics. I have to say, Ricciardo and his mechanic have the clearest communication and information from the lot.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:47 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

It's so much easier for Ricciardo to make that call though, he had so much less to lose. Norris was understandably worried that if he pitted and Lewis stayed out, and the rain stayed the same (which the team told him it would), he wouldn't make up the time on the inters and he's just thrown away a win. He was stuck between a rock and a hard place.

It's more relevant to compare Norris's and Hamilton's radio - the big difference is Mercedes telling Hamilton that the rain's going to get worse.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:15 am 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

Schumifan wrote:
It's so much easier for Ricciardo to make that call though, he had so much less to lose. Norris was understandably worried that if he pitted and Lewis stayed out, and the rain stayed the same (which the team told him it would), he wouldn't make up the time on the inters and he's just thrown away a win. He was stuck between a rock and a hard place.

It's more relevant to compare Norris's and Hamilton's radio - the big difference is Mercedes telling Hamilton that the rain's going to get worse.

Yeah exactly. Lewis admitted afterwards he wanted to stay out. For all his 281 races of experience, he definitely would have made the same call as Lando with the same information

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:08 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Chandhok has a pretty good observation here and I stand corrected on my previous post putting the responsibility on Norris ignoring the team, when in fact McLaren had ample data in hand (the same as Mercedes) to tell him (not ask) to simply box for inters the lap before.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:05 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
webbsy wrote:
I just want to say that I for one am sick of hearing all this stuff about Hamilton's luck. Here is the thing. He puts himself into positions where he is able to capitalize on others misfortune. To say it is luck is to undermine him as a driver.

Yes, I personally think he is a twat. But Lucky? Hell no. Look at his team mate. Bottas is a good solid driver, but never gets himself into positions to capitalize. Hamilton does. Over an entire career.

I get it. People don't want to see him win everything again. But he deserves it. Appreciate it while he lasts.

a little bit of what other drivers that got loads of victories did back in the day. Steward, Lauda and Prost took most of their victories waiting cars up front have issues while managing well their equipment

meanwhile showmen like Peterson and Villeneuve drove their asses off no matter the condition

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:18 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Just saw the start from Fernando Alonso. He went off the track with all the intention of the world! How cheeky!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:35 pm 
2010 TBK-F1 prediction King
2010 TBK-F1 prediction King

This race was the opposite of Hungary & Italy. A good race with a not particularly interesting result. I would have enjoyed it a lot more if I hadn't been around a load of inconsiderate twats at Silverstone.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:24 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

EAS wrote:
Just saw the start from Fernando Alonso. He went off the track with all the intention of the world! How cheeky!

Yeah during the pre-race show they showed him testing that out on his reconnaissance lap, the wily old fox.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:32 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

webbsy wrote:
Ricciardo radio @ 4:03. Norris @6:24

The difference between driver experience and clear communication between mechanic.

It is also really interesting to hear the interaction between all the drivers and mechanics. I have to say, Ricciardo and his mechanic have the clearest communication and information from the lot.

Mazepin's wasn't bad at all either.

Alonso's and Stroll's were pretty bad though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:13 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Schumifan wrote:

Absolutely this. When in second place with a comfortable gap to 3rd, you have the better hand. If you're first, you just cannot pit, because if the guy goes opposite and stays ahead (or hell, a safety car or red flag comes in), you would feel a whole lot dumber. The worst place to be when rain starts, is leading the race.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:17 am 

Hamilton would not have risked it if he was in front because of the championship. There was a 40 second gap behind. Pitting would have only lost one spot.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:07 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
that's why Senna used to wave his arm at every corner when rain started, desperately wanting the red flag

back in the day was nice, since the red at the end meant the end. Today they hold up until the very last possible moment to end

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:02 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I wasn't sure, but the FULL RADIO video on F1's YouTube channel confirms it: Hamilton didn't pit as soon as he was given the first order. He stayed one more lap, and was still second-guessing his engineer while pulling out in the pit entry, but the team stood their ground. It wasn't a one-chance deal

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 13 Next