TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:02 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 378 posts ]  Go to page Previous 115 16 17 18 19
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:38 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Only the top 3 finished on the lead lap, when was the last time it was that low?

EDIT: To answer my own question, last year's Spanish GP

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:44 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

gkmotorsport wrote:
Also, I noticed Mick is wearing Michael's first helmet design again - is this permanent now?

I think he was mentioned he wanted to keep it until the end of the season.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:06 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Deserved fair and square by Verstappen, leading a tricky fight alone against 1.5 Mercedes drivers.

But man was this race frustrating. Kept promessing a close battle (on track or in pits) that didn't quite happen fully.

It's also a disgrace how far the rest of the field is. Practice and Q1 almost made it seem like they were all close, but then reality came barging in.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:20 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ferrari on Friday made us think they could be contenders just to get lapped on Sunday. And still it was a good race for them as McLaren had a bad weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:36 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Coldtyre wrote:
Deserved fair and square by Verstappen, leading a tricky fight alone against 1.5 Mercedes drivers.

But man was this race frustrating. Kept promessing a close battle (on track or in pits) that didn't quite happen fully.

It's also a disgrace how far the rest of the field is. Practice and Q1 almost made it seem like they were all close, but then reality came barging in.

you could see from turn 3 onwards on the first lap how the field got spreaded (despite Giovinazzi bunching the others around him), the only time you saw challenges was lapping slower cars and tire difference

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:29 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Gaara wrote:
Mick pitted

Watching back the onboards on F1TV, looks like Mazepin decided he wanted to send Mick in for an early pitstop at the end of Lap 1. :slaphead: A late dangerous swerve, nearly sent Mick head-on into the pitwall had there been contact. Not sure how he suffered front wing damage though, didn't look like there was any actual contact but maybe the slightest of taps with Mazepin's right rear.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:41 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I noticed that happening live. Wonder how Mick reacted on the radio this time (the one in Baku was probably worse).

Did anyone else notice a moment where Lewis was lapping an Alfa, and the Alfa looked as if it turned right across him? They cut to a replay just as it was happening and we never saw what happened. Maybe the angle made it look closer than it was.

I thought it was a decent race in the end. Overtaking was too difficult between evenly matched cars, but there was some good action back in the pack and a close battle for the lead, even if strategy was the only way it would be decided. Having a track with grass and gravel means that there's always a chance of a small mistake that can change things. It's also just a great track to watch cars attack.

Only other criticism was some of the directing today. It looked like there was some close battling with Sainz/Alonso/Perez/Ocon/Norris, but we didn't see a lot of it and almost all of the overtakes were missed live. I still haven't seen how Alonso passed Sainz.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:56 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Karan wrote:
Gaara wrote:
Mick pitted

Watching back the onboards on F1TV, looks like Mazepin decided he wanted to send Mick in for an early pitstop at the end of Lap 1. :slaphead: A late dangerous swerve, nearly sent Mick head-on into the pitwall had there been contact. Not sure how he suffered front wing damage though, didn't look like there was any actual contact but maybe the slightest of taps with Mazepin's right rear.

Mick hit the bollard at the pit entry when he forced to go there by that russian bloke.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:36 pm 
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.

Mazepin's father bankrolls the team so even Schumacher's name is meaningless here. Always follow the money. I suppose Mazepin Jr feels comfortable in F1 by this stage he can show his teammate who controls the team.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:38 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

A bad race

Without Perez that would've been 0/10, he was one of few drivers to give us something worth watching today

And no-one is talking about Alonso passing 2 cars in turn 3 on lap 1 which was pretty damn coo, as well as him and Perez taking positions on the final lap
(Why did sainz drop like 5 seconds a lap on the last few laps, has that been discovered?)

Anyway, not a great race yet I still enjoyed it, just watching these cars through banked corners was pretty cool
Give us a few years of processions and I'm sure the novelty will wear off, but for now it was fun to watch such boredom.

Also Vettel lol, maybe Stroll Snr was right to offer his seat to Alonso lol

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:15 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Who cares.

Max won. That's all that matters.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:57 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I actually really enjoyed that race

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:06 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I felt like that was a decent late 90s or early 00s race - not much really happened on the track but there was a reasonable amount of strategy suspense and question marks about reliability.

Yes kids, this passed for an ok race during the era that people inexplicably cite as the best...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:08 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Echti wrote:
Karan wrote:
Gaara wrote:
Mick pitted

Mick hit the bollard at the pit entry when he forced to go there by that russian bloke.

This was bullshit, tbh, and so was the 'nobody is to blame' response from Steiner. I hope Mick has a strong head on his shoulders because this sort of acceptance of Mazespin's behaviour will ruin him otherwise.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:09 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:36 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

gkmotorsport wrote:
I felt like that was a decent late 90s or early 00s race - not much really happened on the track but there was a reasonable amount of strategy suspense and question marks about reliability.

Yes kids, this passed for an ok race during the era that people inexplicably cite as the best...

This. I felt really old school to me. Back in the day there wasn't always direct action on the track but at any moment a car failure or mistake could spell disaster for any driver.

It felt like all drivers had to be 100% concentrated for 72 laps with no room to relax. At those modern tracks, if you go too wide, there is still plenty of room to correct. Here there was no room. And when Schumacher kicked some gravel onto the track, it meant that others suddenly had to deal with that as well.

It was a different kind of excitement. Not the type where you see a ton of passes but the type where you expect something unexpected to happen.

Regarding Haas and their drivers. I wonder if this will have effect on the market. Officially Schumacher is expected to stay but if I where Ferrari I'd be looking into putting him in at Alfa for next season. If Mazepin Sr. strengthens his grip on Haas they'll destroy Mick. If Ferrari really believes in him besides a marketing tool because of his name, I'd get him out of there. Or find ways to get rid of Mazepin.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:14 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ocon didn't drive a good race, but kudos to him for being one of the rare drivers to attempt the "BMX track" move of diving down the inside at turn 3 banking (on Alonso). I will politely dismiss Vettel's failed attempt.

Even in Formula 3, only one managed to pull it off clean, box his opponent on the outside and pass (one of the Alpine drivers, maybe Caio Collet). His teammate Martins crashed into the side of David Schumacher, and most others just didn't get ahead enough.

Last edited by Coldtyre on Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:45 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

The race wasn't bad, but not great either. I think it has shown it is possible to overtake into Tarzan, but also the odd move into Hugenholtz or even T12 is possible under the right conditions. Following seemed to be a big issue though, the field scattered so quickly after the Scheivlak/Masters section. This combined with fuel/tires saving didn't help the on track action for sure. Let's hope it's better with the new cars next year, and if not it's still really easily to make a mistake and get the safety car out, there were so many lucky drivers on lap 1 yesterday. I'm kind of glad nothing bad happened this year, means there won't be huge track changes for next year. Let's see what next year brings!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 378 posts ]  Go to page Previous 115 16 17 18 19