TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:59 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 493 posts ]  Go to page Previous 121 22 23 24 25 Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:49 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
if I was from the team I would pick some of that fuel, drop into the stewards table and light it up and say a big fuck you

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:37 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor

That was hilarious

The goat is smelling that 8th title. Fastest car, PU advantage over Max.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:42 pm 

Karan wrote:
Schumifan wrote:
This is brilliant stuff from Alonso

Very few drivers can effectively go toe-to-toe with Hamilton, but if anyone can do it of course it had to be a 40 year old Alonso on 20+ laps older tires. From a fan perspective, that was some of the most enthralling action we've had all season.

This.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:23 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
well is much easier to be banned driving a fake Lotus than a Mercedes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:37 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Those fuel rules have been around forever and each team knows them. Yes it sucks for Seb but those rules are in place for a reason.

Everyone forgetting what Ferrari did in 2019 by mixing more oil giving them a richer fuel mixture? That is what this rule is there to detect (though was a pretty big fail on the FIA to initially pick it up)

So yes it is shitty, but has been enforced before, and will be enforced again in the future.

But the biggest face palm by the stewards is just the 5 place drops for Bottas and Stroll. They were clearly worthy of 10 place drops. It wasn't even like there was contact in a disputed corner.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Grosjean was on a final warning though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:45 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Jesus Christ, some of you can only see the race through so many layers of hatred it's blinding you when we get a fantastic, Hungary 2006/Canada 2011 style batshit one.
It's becoming as Toxic as the booing after the race from the crowd and seemingly driving away the few rational posters left here.
Hatred blinding people to seeing stupid racing accidents as deliberate takedowns and genuine tired/fatigue conditions in the post race ceremonies as faking it for attention is pitiful. As in they should actually be pitied because they cannot see how much their hatred is hurting their enjoyment of the sport.
Ask yourself this question: are you enjoying it any more? Or just tuning in out of habit and you have a low key addiction to being pissed off every weekend?
(The whole "I am so pessimistic I expect any good thing happening to immediately end ie a driver I hate is definitely going to gain places by other drivers taking each other out because that's obv the worst thing possible to happen so WILL DEFINITELY HAPPEN" comments are almost as bad as the hate. So based and boring, can we quit this please?)

That was brilliant to watch, so many twists and turns, we should be fanboys celebrating a great race full of action and a surprise winner

Not everything was perfect, I too would like to have seen some actual wet running (even though with the start crash it seems Lewis would've lapped the field by about lap 5 with the start he got and the rest of the top 5 being removed from his mirrors) but I doubt it would've given us much better a race.

On the C4 broadcast they said mercedes couldn't pit because, as the first pitter, by the time they got in the box the entire field would be coming by when they wanted to exit the box and they'd be pretty much screwed either way. Taking the start was their only hope that they would get away cleanly and everyone else would fall over each other chasing them down
Didn't happen, but George went up to 2nd at that point mainly because of the benefit of the final pit berth so it was always going to be a bad time for Merc

Obviously the Alonso/Lewis battle will be talked about for a long time and rightly so, it'll probably be one of the highlights of the season tbh
LOADS for the "Racing Etiquette: Corner Exit thread to digest (or not, because it's all fair game when it happens TO Lewis ;) ) but I didn't have a problem with it.
Except the part running up to turn 4 where Fernando came right over on lewis alongside him and caused contact between them, that was a bit over the line. Almost certainly a genuine accident (see, it's much more likely something is just a mistake than a deliberate move ;) ) but just a bit too much hardness there
Also, by Bullshit Spa 08 rules, Max was off track in T2 around the outside of Mick and then overtook him at the next corner T3 kink before the straight. That was worth a 10 second Penalty in 2008, nothing today,... :whistling:

Lewis' move around the outside of T4 on Tsonda isn't being talked about enough tbh. That was a brilliant pass, no DRS and kept it between the white lines, which is hard to do

The DSQ seems fairly black and white, you either have enough fuel in or you don't.
Maldanado got a race win because that very thing happened to Lewis after Qualifying. It happens
Can't help thinking if literally anyone else was in that Aston, they would've brought home the win, but we know how reserved Seb is racing people. Oh well, maybe he'll do something wholesome after the race again and people will continue fawning over him *shrug*

Watching them on C4 however delayed is certainly an improvement over Sky's OTT tabloid bullshit.
And you didn't even have Martin Brundle today? yeeesh.
TBF we didn't have David Coulthard on C4 either but Billy Monger and our new favourite sprinter Allan McNish made for a great team with the C4 commentator.

TL;DR, great race. Not sure if it can even be counted as a wet race as we only got about 4 corners of wet running
But even Rain being near a race track makes the spirit of the racing as if it was deluging.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:26 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Scotty wrote:
codename_47 wrote:
Jesus Christ, some of you can only see the race through so many layers of hatred it's blinding you

Could have just left that monologue there

That's it, I'm closing the forum.......

.......for an hour

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:40 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Chris A wrote:
No doubt the accident benefited Mercedes and Hamilton significantly, but you're irredeemably cynical if you think Bottas did that on purpose.

Was anyone here really suggesting this race or last race's incidents were intentional? Intentional contact and conspiracies to distrupt races ala Singapore '08 are pretty much a once-a decade thing now. It's possible to not be a tinfoil hat club member but still be annoyed that Merc is profiting from this. Accidents obviously aren't intentional by definition, but their likelihood is reduced by exercising caution, and penalties are there to encourage caution. Once again the penalty applied is absolutely pissweak and will not result in any of the parties involved doing anything differently if the same scenario repeated. If you're not going to make a penalty meaningful, better to just not apply penalties and keep the stewards out of it entirely.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:42 am 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

micha wrote:
LucasWheldon wrote:
so give the driver a damn fine, just like they do in Nascar

Well you know how it goes. Run into someone get 10-20s penalty. Not have enough fuel DQF. I mean how dare they to not have at least 1 liter left at the end

This.

It's like all the circumstances and rule interpretention benefits only one special driver.

And for you who say fuel rule is black and white or simple, it actually is not.

This rule is from the refueling era and one litre limit was randomly picked as nice even value to secured multiple test samples that FIA could store and transfer around the world as evidence of cheating if detected from the initial sample.

Cars are no longer refueled during the race, so they could measure fuel before the race, oil too, to make cheating more difficult and running out of fuel less cruel punishment. Especially because FIA collects the fuel from the tank alone, there's more in the fuel line which team could help to milk out but FIA sticks with the DQ that's due highly unusual circumstances. Engine manufacturer obviously doesn't have any interest to help customer team in this one.

They could test that 0,3 litres in Hungary and see there's nothing wrong with the fuel, instead they go with technicality. Rather harsh punishment when PU needs to be saved through out the season, which wasn't the case when fuel measuring rules were set. You remove points from midfield customer team who rarely score to benefit one selected manufacturer.

Ferrari fuel line and flow trick in 2019 has nothing to do with this, neither the way teams mixed oil to fuel to get extra grunt.

Also, same people who defend Fuel measuring rules now, were the same people who wanted to DQ Nico Rosberg and Williams in Brazilian GP 2007 for having too cold fuel. And guess who would have won the title had Rosberg been disqualified? :whistling:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:09 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Oh no! Anyway,

I'm glad Vettel hadn't managed to get past Ocon in the race. What a shitty situation it would've been for both, Vettel to lose a hard fought win, and Ocon to get his first victory with no proper podium.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:34 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:
Ocon's name has barely been mentioned around here, feel like he deserves more credit for his performance.

French drivers seem to win these crazy races lately.

we barely got to see him on sunday. The director was too focused on Hamilton and his march up the field and then his battle with Alonso.

And now you mentioned this I honestly am wondering if his performance was really that good or that he simply was lucky he was in the right place at the right time.
The people you'd expect to fight for a win if Hamilton and Verstappen are out of the picture where already out (Bottas, Perez, LeClerc, Norris)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:27 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

micha wrote:
Scotty wrote:
Ocon's name has barely been mentioned around here, feel like he deserves more credit for his performance.

we barely got to see him on sunday. The director was too focused on Hamilton and his march up the field and then his battle with Alonso.

And now you mentioned this I honestly am wondering if his performance was really that good or that he simply was lucky he was in the right place at the right time.
The people you'd expect to fight for a win if Hamilton and Verstappen are out of the picture where already out (Bottas, Perez, LeClerc, Norris)

Why one or the other? It can be both.

Nobody's denying he got lucky with the crash. But once that was said and done, there were still many strong contenders that he managed to overcome by:
- Qualifying in front of Vettel,
- Qualifying in front of Sainz, by not crashing his car in Q2 like him,
- Qualifying in front of his teammate,
- Making a better strategy call than Lewis, despite being in the uncomfortable position of being the first in line to make the call once Hamilton decided to stay out.
- Keeping Vettel behind despite being slightly slower,
- Zero mistake.Not one wheel off the line, when even Vettel and Hamilton were sliding all over the place (granted, behind traffic, but still).

There is little debate that once the crash happened, with the cars still on track, this is a hard-earned, 100% deserved victory against an existing stronger competition.

But maybe his performance isn't really that good and he also got lucky with all those guys in addition to the crash

Last edited by Coldtyre on Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:28 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

codename_47 wrote:
Watching them on C4 however delayed is certainly an improvement over Sky's OTT tabloid bullshit.
And you didn't even have Martin Brundle today? yeeesh.
TBF we didn't have David Coulthard on C4 either but Billy Monger and our new favourite sprinter Allan McNish made for a great team with the C4 commentator.

Completely agree, I've been enjoying C4's coverage this season. Apart from Steve Jones who's a bit of a knob and Mark Webber's occasional over-excited jabbering and weird noises (see Baku) their line up is great. Alex Jacques has been a perfect replacement for Ben Edwards this season. It's such a shame they only get the 1 live race a year.

Tbf to Sky I actually didn't mind Nico Rosberg replacing Brundle for this race, he did a decent job. But Crofty... its got to be said - he's as bad as James Allen circa mid-late 2000s.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:38 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:

By lately, you probably mean the 28-year period since Prost's last victory. Every French victory since then has been a crazy race :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:59 am 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Coldtyre wrote:
Scotty wrote:

By lately, you probably mean the 28-year period since Prost's last victory. Every French victory since then has been a crazy race :lol:

Hmm...Let's see.

Jean Alesi at Montreal 1995 with Ferrari, check.

Oliver Panis at Monaco 1996 with Ligier, check.

Pierre Gasly at Monza 2020 with Alpha Tauri, check.

Esteban Ocon at Magyar Nagydíj 2021 with Alpine, check.

So between German Grand Prix 1993 and yesterday, all wins by French have been special occasions.

Another notifiable thing is that all maiden victories at Hungary have been quite special occasions.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:24 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

One thought I had - if you are allowed to change tyres under the red flag, why did nobody put on slicks during the red flag, and then line up on the grid and go straight into the lead? Was everybody being too conservative, or is there a rule that I'm missing?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:24 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Coldtyre wrote:
- Keeping Vettel behind despite being slightly slower,

Vettel never really seemed to be able to get close enough to properly challenge him except right after their pitstops. Unless tv failed to properly show it but I'm more inclined to blame the current aero for that.

He still did a great job bringing the car home in first but honestly I think Alonso holding up Lewis had more influence on the win than Ocon's own driving.
If Alonso rolled over, Lewis would have caught them and gotten by most likely

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:32 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Vettel was faster but got the aero push

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

De Cesaris fan wrote:
One thought I had - if you are allowed to change tyres under the red flag, why did nobody put on slicks during the red flag, and then line up on the grid and go straight into the lead? Was everybody being too conservative, or is there a rule that I'm missing?

I guess not realising how quickly it had dried during the red flag. You'd have thought someone at the back would have gambled.

Imagine a Haas 1-2 for a bit...

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 493 posts ]  Go to page Previous 121 22 23 24 25 Next