TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:47 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 332 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 517 Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:46 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
nah, I'm just fed up of paying a premium to see Mercedes winning every weekend

good racing comes naturally

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:27 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

codename_47 wrote:
LucasWheldon wrote:
I'd take 10 boring races in a row this season if all of them are won by a car that isn't a Mercedes

This is what's wrong with F1 fandom

You get years like last years (one of the craziest seasons I've ever witnessed even if there wasn't a championship fight) or 2011/2013 (until the summer break, anyway) being called dull and years like 2006/7/8 being called exciting simply because there is a title fight or not regardless of the quality of the individual races.

I guess people are too invested in team/driver loyalty, or more likely around here, team/driver hatred than they are wanting to see close, exciting racing.

It's the entertainment level of each individual race that matters, the title race can go get screwed as far as I'm concerned.
If you're lucky enough to have an exciting race won by a driver or team you like, well that's the icing on the cake for me, but it's not the basis of the entire cake at all.

Championship battle<Individual race excitment

Why sweep all F1 fans under the same brush just because they don't share the same appetite as you?

While it's perfectly okay to focus only on the quality of races over the outcome of the championship as in your case, some fans are just more vested in who ends up on top and crave unpredictability and diversity in winners, rather than it being just a foregone conclusion that a Mercedes driver is going to win.

Every fan investing their time is entitled to their own flavor and for some it just gets old after a while having the same combination of teams represented on the podium, irrespective of what happens down the field.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:41 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Karan wrote:
codename_47 wrote:

Why sweep all F1 fans under the same brush just because they don't share the same appetite as you?

Because he's right. All F1 fans are terrible - including you, me, and him :innocent:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:26 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

gkmotorsport wrote:
Karan wrote:
codename_47 wrote:

Because he's right. All F1 fans are terrible - including you, me, and him :innocent:

F1 was at its best in 1950, it's all been downhill since then.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:39 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
I'd take 10 boring races in a row this season if all of them are won by a car that isn't a Mercedes

If it's 10 wins for Red Bull, then potato potato for me. If you say 7 different teams, then I'd love the inherent unpredictability that comes with it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:48 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

And to all people that think they would be happy with a streak of 10 boring non-Mercedes wins, I doubt it. Seriously.

You all complain about way less than that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:51 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Don't worry. Hamilton will bounce back and we will have a title decider in MUTHAFUKIN ABU DHABI

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:33 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Coldtyre wrote:
He slipped into a rare anonymity ever since he left RedBull.

I'm not arguing his performance right now isn't anywhere near expectations, but this whole topic really shows how short people's memories are in F1. The same people who last year were saying he's in the best form of his career are now completely striking Renault from their memory and conveniently connecting his current performance to the decision 3 years ago now to leave Red Bull. None of these teams are the same as they were 3 years ago. And if Dan does manage to get it together (or Mclaren bring in changes that make the car more flexible) and starts stringing together consecutive good performances, the same people will once again forget what they're saying now and move onto pronouncing the death of someone else's career. See also: Vettel 2020 vs now, Perez first half 2020 vs second half 2020, Gasly 2019 vs now, and half a dozen other examples I could cite. F1 is littered with stories of once-competitive drivers killing their careers by changing teams and underperforming, but it's also got plenty of examples where things click after a lot of teething problems, but the armchair career-cancellers are never held to account when that happens.

Yes I'm talking about it partly as a Dan fan, but it was just as annoying in previous years with the above drivers. People can't seem to handle any narrative more complex than "that driver's amazing, future champ" or "that driver sucks, career over" based on pace over one season with one car. I expect most people here have been around long enough to understand F1 results are 90% car, 10% driver, and the gray area in between is how the car suits the driver. Yes if your teammate is blowing you away then the pressure is on you to find what's missing, but according to this forum and F1 fandom in general Vettel, Perez and Gasly were lost causes and should have been out of the sport years ago.

LucasWheldon wrote:

Another sterling example of the goldfish-size memory we have in F1. As sick as we've all gotten of Lewis winning every race, having them all won by Max will be interesting for maybe half a season, and then just as depressing as the last 7 years.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:36 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Too long, didn´t read. I just notice that Dan is Australian and you are Australian and will do everything to defend him and other Australian drivers (how´s Miller? Still MotoGP champion material?), just like codename47 does with Hamilton, NVirkkula does with Finnish drivers, micha does with Verstappen.

It won´t hurt you to occasionally take off the blinders. When your driver sucks, he sucks. Admit it from time to time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:11 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Omega wrote:
Too long, didn´t read. I just notice that Dan is Australian and you are Australian and will do everything to defend him and other Australian drivers (how´s Miller? Still MotoGP champion material?), just like codename47 does with Hamilton, NVirkkula does with Finnish drivers, micha does with Verstappen.

It won´t hurt you to occasionally take off the blinders. When your driver sucks, he sucks. Admit it from time to time.

Happy to, and I have multiple times in the past. I'm also not too proud to admit who I support is occasionally biased by my nationality, as are you, as is anyone here who's not in complete denial. But I can back up my arguments with facts that have nothing to do with nationality, and if you could be bothered reading before unloading your smug you'd see that I have above. If you can't comprehend beyond a low-key racist assumption between a person's nationality and their subject, you must be loads of fun at parties.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:37 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

@
Philthy82
I think you misread my post, and misquoting it to the last sentence doesn't help. It's not about performance, it's about his optimism, his attack, his throwing the car from side to side to dummy people in the braking zone - whether that's for 5th or 12th or 17th.

I've only seen "the" Dan once these past years. It's when he got a 5s penalty at Sochi turn 1 because of Ocon being an idiot, radioed "no worries, I'll make up for it", and delivered. It's all probably related to confidence in the car, but it's just like the Ricciardo that everyone liked (don't play him as a victim and pretend he wasn't a fan-favorite) isn't in the field anymore, independently from where the qualy/race pace puts him.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:53 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

The Ricciardo issue is that he always flatters to deceive as the weekend progresses. Runs a hot lap on soft tyres in practice and appears to be on the pace for top 5, then mid pack in qual. The McLaren isn't exactly a dud either, it has a Mercedes engine and is their best car since 2012.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:11 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Philthy82 wrote:
LucasWheldon wrote:

Another sterling example of the goldfish-size memory we have in F1. As sick as we've all gotten of Lewis winning every race, having them all won by Max will be interesting for maybe half a season, and then just as depressing as the last 7 years.

I'd also take 10 straight wins from Danny, he used to pull a good show driving for Red Bull

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
gkmotorsport wrote:
Karan wrote:

How to make it obvious you didn't follow GP racing in 1948... :slaphead:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:59 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

gkmotorsport wrote:
codename_47 wrote:
gkmotorsport wrote:

How to make it obvious you didn't follow GP racing in 1948... :slaphead:

Sorry M8, not into Dick or Seaman

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:52 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

To be fair, this is the first time I can remember Ricciardo being beaten by a team mate, and he has had some very good ones. That suggests that he is struggling with the McLaren, or Norris is becoming a top driver. Probably a bit of both.

Hopefully he will be on the pace soon. You don't become a poor driver overnight. Perez has also taken a while to get up to speed in the Red Bull (looked good in Baku and France). Sainz has impressed by being straight on the pace for Ferrari.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:17 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

No driver made through the race on two softest compounds last weekend which would mean medium-hard tactic this weekend.

Q2 might be similar to Paul Ricard where no one bothered to run softs apart from Russell.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:52 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Coldtyre wrote:
@Philthy82 I think you misread my post, and misquoting it to the last sentence doesn't help. It's not about performance, it's about his optimism, his attack, his throwing the car from side to side to dummy people in the braking zone - whether that's for 5th or 12th or 17th.

I've only seen "the" Dan once these past years. It's when he got a 5s penalty at Sochi turn 1 because of Ocon being an idiot, radioed "no worries, I'll make up for it", and delivered. It's all probably related to confidence in the car, but it's just like the Ricciardo that everyone liked (don't play him as a victim and pretend he wasn't a fan-favorite) isn't in the field anymore, independently from where the qualy/race pace puts him.

No intention of selectively quoting you, apologies for that. But I don't understand the distinction between optimism/attack/flair and the general discussion around performance. If you're struggling to get the most out of the car, that probably means you're not going to have any flamboyance in how you drive it, unless you consider crashing a lot a form of flamboyance.

It seems like a lot of Ric's reputation for being exciting to watch came from the "last of the late brakers" tag he earned at Red Bull, and none of the cars he's driven since have had the sort of braking performance to exhibit that. I don't think that's a loss of mojo so much as the differences between different cars, and if things come good for Dan he still may never be as exciting to watch as during the RB years. I can't think of anyone at the moment that looks particularly strong under brakes, which is a bit of a shame. Maybe reliance on DRS and some of the brake cooling regs of the past few years have played a part, hopefully it makes a bit of a comeback with next year's cars.

Anywho, this article makes the point I was trying to make in my original post a lot more clearly: https://the-race.com/formula-1/what-ric ... -his-race/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:59 am 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Omega wrote:

Hey, I do occasionally admit when Bottas sucks. And I was never a big fan of Kovalainen either. Just don't expect me to make a habit out of this. ;)

Blinders are my thing, tho.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:43 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I think acting like Ricciardo is suddenly a bad driver is a bit simplistic, but I think his time at Renault has surely made him lose his edge. You can deny it all you want, when you get a check and a commitment like Daniel got from Renault, the edge can dull, and the lack of results from his stint there might have played with his confidence. It's clear with how quickly things turned there that he was promised a lot, and believed a lot, and now he's in a precarious situation where he's chasing a competitive team in his early 30's and that's what makes his situation much more different to Gasly or Perez. Perez had the trust of that team, he knew it in and out and to be honest they grew with him. Even still it took an 11th hour deal to keep him from exiting F1. Gasly is much younger and hungrier and could be afforded that demotion, as really he was brought up too quickly. But also he's got the fight in him that young Daniel had, but I'm not at all sure that current Daniel has.

I don't understand why it's ridiculous to bring up the question of if Daniel can get his form back. It's a fair question to ask of him. It's not an easy task and Vettel is the perfect example of that.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 332 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 517 Next