TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:38 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 376 posts ]  Go to page Previous 115 16 17 18 19 Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:59 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Pirelli should botch their tires

I'm in a point that I'm paying to be frustraded

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:45 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I must confess, from lap 46 onwards I realized Max wasn't as close as he was supposed and I started to lightly root for Lewis because it's a privilege to see him taking wins that only he's capable of.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:12 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Vettel is done :(

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:25 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

codename_47 wrote:
Karan wrote:
In hindsight, that was bit of a poor choice by Verstappen where he let Hamilton by at the start of the back straight. If he had maybe waited until T13 and let Hamilton pass him on the inside, that would've delayed Hamilton from getting on the power allowing Verstappen to close him to him before the DRS detection point and then slingshot past him into T1.

Don't forget the FIA bullshit rule that you're not allowed to repass anyone for 2 corners after you've let them by

Whether they actually would enforce that, or it was a bullshit thing created to strip a win from Lewis and Mclaren at the height of the FIA/Mclaren fued, who knows.

I had no idea that that was even a rule. I can swear that passes have been re made before two corners later.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:36 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

gkmotorsport wrote:
So the Haas has a bit of a shit throttle response then. Maybe the Mazepin jokes were only 90% justified.

Was watching Mick's onboard on F1TV and yea really shit throttle response. Terrible understeer in medium/high speed corners and very unstable under throttle in low speed corners particularly T1/T2, so it's hard to pin all the fault on Mazepin there. I think Mick spent most of his first stint trying to dial out the understeer with his engineer trying different settings. Basically the car looks like dog shit and a real handful to drive, made worse by the fact it's 2 rookies behind the wheel.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:43 am 

webbsy wrote:
codename_47 wrote:
Karan wrote:
In hindsight, that was bit of a poor choice by Verstappen where he let Hamilton by at the start of the back straight. If he had maybe waited until T13 and let Hamilton pass him on the inside, that would've delayed Hamilton from getting on the power allowing Verstappen to close him to him before the DRS detection point and then slingshot past him into T1.

Don't forget the FIA bullshit rule that you're not allowed to repass anyone for 2 corners after you've let them by

Whether they actually would enforce that, or it was a bullshit thing created to strip a win from Lewis and Mclaren at the height of the FIA/Mclaren fued, who knows.

I had no idea that that was even a rule. I can swear that passes have been re made before two corners later.

That rule has been around since Spa 2008

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:18 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Is that a rule? Or just a vague precedent set 13 years ago that has probably been contradicted multiple times since?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:22 am 

Hard to say, need to check the sporting regs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:37 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

when it's against a mercedes with the number 44 you cannot even attempt to pass or defend your position, otherwise you'll face penalty

that's the rule

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:08 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Philthy82 wrote:
Is that a rule? Or just a vague precedent set 13 years ago that has probably been contradicted multiple times since?

This doesn't even need to be a rule in number of corners. If a driver blatantly gives way just a little, in an area where he keeps a clear advantage that lets them pass through easily, they will be logically flagged and ordered to give it back.

It's really common sense. Otherwise, I can just zoom past someone by cutting a corner before a high-speed sector (so they're in dirty air and I don't lose time), then let them through by a car length just before DRS, then pass. Then whine that I "let them through" like I deserve the position for being a sneaky bastard that bends the rules for an easy pass.

Same about the Max suggested method of driving away and gaining the time penalty. Someone does that, they will be penalized to drop back behind, not just given 5 seconds and a trophy. Otherwise why do we bother race? Make it a a time-attack race where position on track doesn't matter and where a slower driver can never finish ahead of a faster one - and that's where the best battles have happened!

I don't think this is the sort of behaviour that anybody wants to see. It's unfair, and defeats the purpose of a real battle which is managing to stay close in your weak sectors in order to give an attack in your strongest sector. What happened Sunday is exactly how it should occur (short of putting goddamn gravel traps and let nature deal with it).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:34 am 

sporting regs re track limits

Quote:
Drivers must make every reasonable effort to use the track at all times and may not leave the track without a justifiable reason.

Drivers will be judged to have left the track if no part of the car remains in contact with it and, for the avoidance of doubt, any white lines defining the track edges are considered to be part of the track but the kerbs are not.

Should a car leave the track the driver may re-join, however, this may only be done when it is safe to do so and without gaining any lasting advantage. At the absolute discretion of the Race Director a driver may be given the opportunity to give back the whole of any advantage he gained by leaving the track.

There is nothing specific on the 2 corner rule per se. Must be a stewards thing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:43 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

mclaren2008 wrote:
sporting regs re track limits

Quote:
Drivers must make every reasonable effort to use the track at all times and may not leave the track without a justifiable reason.

Drivers will be judged to have left the track if no part of the car remains in contact with it and, for the avoidance of doubt, any white lines defining the track edges are considered to be part of the track but the kerbs are not.

Should a car leave the track the driver may re-join, however, this may only be done when it is safe to do so and without gaining any lasting advantage. At the absolute discretion of the Race Director a driver may be given the opportunity to give back the whole of any advantage he gained by leaving the track.

There is nothing specific on the 2 corner rule per se. Must be a stewards thing.

So If I am reading that right...the FIA haven't even been applying their own rules correctly? :whistling: Because basically every car on every lap at turn 4 had 2 wheels on the curb and two off it, meaning that they didn't have any part of the car inside the white line, meaning they were exceeding track limits.

Rinse and repeat at EVERY single track.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:13 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

According to Benson's article last night on the BBC, running wide at turn 4 gains you around 0.2 seconds. If that's true, that was definitely the difference between winning and losing for Hamilton.

I'm completely baffled as to why they can't just say the white lines are the limits, end of story. What's the downside?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:50 pm 
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.

Hamilton crossed T4 line 29 times yesterday.

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... urce=share

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:03 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I guess there are two sporting regulations, one for Mercedes and another for the rest

they say they are the most competent. It might be, but their work gets much easier when they don't get punished

I'm pretty sure they'll do like the second to last corner from Shanghai, they'll simply extend the limits so they can go there will no further problems

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:27 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'm fed up with this whole "track limits" bullshit.

How hard can it be, to make the track configuration a way that it punishes a mistake or someone going off track. Gravel, a high kerb, some slippery surface, whatever. You don't need to have sensors or cameras to police this, since drivers will do it themselves, after they realize there's no way to gain time by going wide.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Grass, gravel and proper kerbs.

Or no kerbs? St Devote style barrier and runoff?

Plus side is that if you try and force the other car wide, they'll run out of space and you go over their front wheel, should stop that tactic too :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:40 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Also, those goddamn tarmac runoffs.

I was watching MotoGP last night, after many years not watching at all, and I was thinking that it doesn't matter if you're in MotoGP, Moto 2 or Moto 3, if you make a mistake or push too hard, you will end up in the ground, and most likely, you won't be able to continue. Best riders are the ones that can ride that limit and be there by the end of the race.

Formula 1 is the pinnacle of car racing, just as MotoGP is the pinnacle of bike road racing. You can't fall off a car, but if you make a mistake in F1, you spin off, stop over tarmac, antistall kicks in, so the engine remains on, and you just continue with, worst scenario, some flat spotted tyres.

Mick Schumacher should have DNF after his spin early in the race. Hamilton should've lost precious time after locking the wheel at turn 10 while defending from Verstappen.

If gravel was faded off to avoid a car going upside down, for the sake of driver safety, this is not a factor now with the Halo as extra protection. It's impossible now to have a scenario like Diniz's at Nürburgring.

BRING GRAVEL BACK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

So Alonso's race was ended by a sandwich bag...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:23 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Schumifan wrote:
I'm completely baffled as to why they can't just say the white lines are the limits, end of story. What's the downside?

To my knowledge, this is the rule on UK tracks (for British GT for example). Two wheels off the white line, maximum, regardless of the circuit's curbing. I also prefer it and find it very simple to follow for all corners (in addition to electronics enforcing, British tracks do this very well).

At some other tracks or championships, the rule can be having a wheel on the painted curb at least - this was the rule agreed upon for the Bahrain GP, the red/white curb was the limit so you could have your right-side wheel on it. I saw this in Canal+ TV coverage, which seems to contradict what some drivers told in interviews, so go figure. The whole car would be effectively off the white line in this situation, but you can still easily see if wheels are still on the curb or not and penalize on that basis.

In the end even if I prefer white line, it doesn't matter which one is chosen, as long as it's the same for everyone and enforced consistently. Both options (curb or white line) are easily explained in briefing and easily enforced, whether electronically, or physically, or by monitoring and penalizing. There should not have been any grey area during the race yesterday, it's a bit of a deficiency on part of the stewards whereas smaller championships do it very well.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 376 posts ]  Go to page Previous 115 16 17 18 19 Next