TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:56 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2015 posts ]  Go to page Previous 197 98 99 100 101 Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:19 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Interesting article: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/reve ... s/6960259/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:25 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Quote:
I'm not sure if it's just the working staff who think that 23 races is too much: I sense even the fans think that a run of triple-headers is not great. It feels like the sport is being cheapened in a way, where each race is no longer as valuable and important because there are now so many.

nailed it

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:05 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Interesting indeed. Many would dream to be part of the team and follow them all around the world, but it´s bloody hard work.

What would their wages be?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:14 pm 

The best onboard of the year for me

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:27 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Omega wrote:
Interesting indeed. Many would dream to be part of the team and follow them all around the world, but it´s bloody hard work.

Yeh, i know its really hard work. It not a job from 6 to 14. You really have to give your heart and soul for F1. And to love that kind of work.
If you have wife and kids its then even more harder cuz you wont see them until summer break and winter when season ends.
Being single helps a bit.

I would love to work in F1 but i couldnt, sure ive would give my heart and soul for it. But i have wife and kids so i couldnt do it. The triple headers would destroy me, and each one is different time zone. Oh boy.
It would be much better calendar if it is organised in less taveling. Like 1st they can clear races in America, then they stay in Europe till fall and then the Asia races as final. Would be much better for the pepole who work there.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:36 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

they might be suffering even more under cost cap, unless they have labor protection

even though, their wages should be higher considering their burden

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:03 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I also always wonder, do staff and drivers go home after every race? If one race is in Japan, and the next is in Malaysia, do they travel home between or just stay in Asia?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:42 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I guess it'd depends on restrictions; if home has a quarantine requirement then that could make it tricky

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:08 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Omega wrote:
I also always wonder, do staff and drivers go home after every race? If one race is in Japan, and the next is in Malaysia, do they travel home between or just stay in Asia?

before covid they had a bit of freedom to do it

I once read that Senna used all the free time available, even if it's a couple of days to have some free time with his friends in his beach house

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:46 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

But F1 hasn´t gone to Japan and Malaysia since covid, so the question still stands.

Their carbon footprint must be huge

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:01 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Like most jobs, the best employees to have are the ones that don't have any attachments so they dedicate themselves 100% to the job.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:19 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I cant this being sustainable if the calendar even grows more.
Teams will be forced to double their race weekend crews at some point so they can get some time off. And I do think these wages do fall under the budget cap.

And fans will get enough of it, if its too much. Especially if one driver/team dominates things again and will be crowned champion like 2/3th in. And then they'll tweak the points again so its artificially exciting for a longer time :whistling:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:44 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure if it's just the working staff who think that 23 races is too much: I sense even the fans think that a run of triple-headers is not great. It feels like the sport is being cheapened in a way, where each race is no longer as valuable and important because there are now so many.

nailed it

I don't agree with that at all. I like more races. But I am sympathetic to the toll it takes on the personnel, so I would be completely amenable to a smaller calendar for that reason alone.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:52 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I dont like it.
It used to be "OOH Another race this weekend" but now its more 'Ow... yet another race this weekend"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:15 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

there's also a lot to do with going far away in Mickey Mouse tracks

back in 2012 and 2013 when they went to successive races in bad time zones like South Korea and India, it was a damn effort, now they're going the same way with races in the middle east and USA. At least they're making an effort with the start time

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:48 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Omega wrote:

As an engineer I can say - motorsport engineering doesn't pay well at all. You have to do it for the love of the sport.

When I graduated from uni I looked into applying for a program at Williams, relocating to the UK (this was about 2012). But they demanded a 3.0GPA and the pay (I never fact checked but was told) would only have only just covered rent.

When you're more experienced you're still paid reasonably well and get allowances living away from home, but you'd be earning more money working a more regular job, outside of motorsport one that doesn't require to be away from your family 20-25 weekends a year (even 15 weekends a year for something like touring cars or LMP).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:41 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Burnout is fucking serious, and I'm disgusted to hear that some team bosses have dismissed it. (Anyone know who?) I've gone through burnout this year and I'm sure a few of you have as well, and in some cases there's no coming back from it; it changes how you see yourself, how you think people see you (even your loved ones), and can lead to PTSD that makes it hard to even move on to a different career. Encouraging a work ethic similar to what's acceptable in a lot of Chinese and Japanese corporations is just asking for a similar level of work-related depression, anxiety and suicide.

It would be great to see DTS use their platform to bring attention to this or at least focus on what it's like to be part of the support crew, but I'm sure they can't spare an episode for that with all the juicy Toto/Masi radio exchanges they need to squeeze in.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well Tost thinks they should feel lucky to be in F1

https://the-race.com/formula-1/tost-f1- ... -or-leave/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:27 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Gaara wrote:
Well Tost thinks they should feel lucky to be in F1

https://the-race.com/formula-1/tost-f1- ... -or-leave/

This is exactly the kind of victorian whip cracking attitude I'd expect from him, he's from a completely different generation and I pity all those at Red Bull that have to put up with his backwards attitudes

It's not the same thing at all but I was just a motorsport commentator at a local race track and still the demands of being at the track every weekend (one weekend out of 2 I'd get a sunday off...) puts demands on relationships from girlfriends and family members who want to see you when THEY are off work and don't understand the passion and dedication it takes to spend your free time at a race track for little to no money in the hopes of working your way up the ladder.

You either do it when you're very young and don't know shit about racing (but if you're good you're willing to learn) or when your kids have moved out and you have some more time when you're moving towards retirement yourself, literally no-one else there was my age and my girlfriend probably still resents the time I spent there, especially now the track has been taken from us and the time I spent there has ended up a bit of a waste, in the end

And that's just commentating, no doubt the cushiest job at the raceway. Inside, not physical labour, only needed when the cars are actually racing, no prep but a bit of stats homework before the weekend.
God knows how bad it is for those mechanics and those people who have to sweat blood just to get these cars onto the track for some rich billionare's son to crash because he thinks he "has it", thereby tripling your workload...:whistling:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:20 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

How does F1 look on your resume btw? Anyone know?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2015 posts ]  Go to page Previous 197 98 99 100 101 Next