TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:43 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:02 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

James B wrote:
Everyone calling for a SC but it definitely ruined the race. Took out any strategic intrigue

It was the VSC that did that, they'd all completed their pit stops long before they switched the decision to go full SC

If it had remained VSC it would've been even worse with fresh tyres and built up gaps.

It needed to be 5 or more laps earlier and we might have had tyre drama at the end.

Or 5 or more laps later and people might have risked strategy/merc kept one driver out to shake things up and who knows what else

It happening exactly where it did killed the race.

Not that the race was going to be a classic with Max so strong, Mercedes turned down. Even Perez was struggling to pass people early on (though we probably know why-Engine)

This race isn't going anywhere, sadly.

The Arab Royalty have so much money that between them and sky, they should pay us all to sit through this race, not the other way around.

Yet, give it a month of off season boredom and I'm sure we'd rather have even a race like this to watch over nothing at all.,. :whistling:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No SC at any point could have saved that race.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:23 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
is better they use all that money to rebuild the course or force to be the joker round, and exhibition on what F1 would look like with gimmicks like reverse DRS, track sprinklers and joker laps

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Even using existing layouts, there aren't many possibilities. This would probably be my favourite, but the run off is an issue for the first hairpin. It's quite funny that they designed a new circuit from scratch and didn't actually consider the run off for that layout.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:14 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

But of course the final race of this 2020 season just had to be a 'classic' F1 race.
Think I slept through 52 of the laps.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:18 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
the main issue is that they crammed the mickey mouse section with facilities for visitors and is pratically impossible to fix it without demolition

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:51 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

At least Mclaren got 3rd in the constructors, a nice feel good end to a terrible race.

Sainz was cleared of Sky sports trying to get him a penalty so the result stands

And yeah, compared to who they're fighting, that's a great result and a team that would probably need the extra prize money more than TeamStroll

Twitter:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

This and Sochi always are and always will be the worst races of the season

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:18 pm 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

That race joins the pantheon of classics such as Hungary 2004, Belgium 2007, Bahrain 2010, Valencia 2011 and Canada 2019

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:40 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Touching end to the C4 coverage today with Ben Edwards talking about his time as a commentator, saying goodbye and hanging up his mic

From what i've read he won't be rushing to commentate anywhere from now on, maybe one off special events like Goodwood or whatnot, but he seems to be semi-retiring and wanting to write more than commentate now.
Shame

F1 never really got the chance to take him into their bubble, he was always commentating at a time when Murray, Allen or Crofty had the more mainstream audience so he's never really had the mass appeal apart from us enthusiasts.
To my mind (and ear) he's been the best commentator we've had since Murray and cruelly underrated, a welcome alternative to James Allen's cringe and Crofty's blokiness and trying to make himself the centre of attention

Goodbye Ben, F1 will be a worse place without you.

Twitter:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:17 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Totally agree, I longed for Ben Edwards to get a go at F1 when he was doing BTCC, IndyCar and all sorts beside. I'm glad he got a chance to finally do more than the yearly review video/DVDs!

I thought the mimed singing at the end of Ch4 was hilarious though :-D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:49 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

You know what, I'm glad the championships were locked before this race. This is the worst venue ever for a finale.

I know it won't be removed, but maybe have it in the middle of summer, so that nobody cares and you're either on vacation or enjoying a sunday afternoon nap. And who knows, maybe it will even cook cars/tyres/people and make it interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:38 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sure a lot of the track is really dull but the tire situation definitely doesn't help either. If you have a SC before 1/5th of the race is finished and drivers decide they'll use it to do their only pitstop you know the tire degradation is a joke.
If tire changes weren't mandatory some teams would probably just do 0 stop strategy.

They really need to bring the tires for this race much more into the 2-stop territory.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:16 am 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

It's been the track since we've raced here, no matter which car regulation or tyre regulation, the track stinks.

Also guys did you hear? The season IS OVER. Thanks F1 for another dull season :flag:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:38 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fabs wrote:
It's been the track since we've raced here, no matter which car regulation or tyre regulation, the track stinks.

I submit Alonso vs. Petrov in a season that was otherwise quite competitive as evidence to support the claim, your honour.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:04 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fabs wrote:
It's been the track since we've raced here, no matter which car regulation or tyre regulation, the track stinks

Sure, but it stinks even more when even the strategies are boring AF.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:06 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
Touching end to the C4 coverage today with Ben Edwards talking about his time as a commentator, saying goodbye and hanging up his mic

From what i've read he won't be rushing to commentate anywhere from now on, maybe one off special events like Goodwood or whatnot, but he seems to be semi-retiring and wanting to write more than commentate now.
Shame

F1 never really got the chance to take him into their bubble, he was always commentating at a time when Murray, Allen or Crofty had the more mainstream audience so he's never really had the mass appeal apart from us enthusiasts.
To my mind (and ear) he's been the best commentator we've had since Murray and cruelly underrated, a welcome alternative to James Allen's cringe and Crofty's blokiness and trying to make himself the centre of attention

It's a shame. I pay for Sky, so I always listen to Crofty/Brundle, which is absolutely fine. Last September, I was away for the Monza race so had to watch Channel 4 highlights. I'd forgotten how good a commentator he is. Really enjoyed it (the race obviously helped too). His CART commentary will stay with me as well.

Out of interest, is there any Channel 4 footage from the Bahrain race? I'd be interested to see how Edwards handled the Grosjean incident.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:12 am 

Shaddix wrote:
Fabs wrote:
It's been the track since we've raced here, no matter which car regulation or tyre regulation, the track stinks

Sure, but it stinks even more when even the strategies are boring AF.

That's what happens when there's no tyre fall off

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:11 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

De Cesaris fan wrote:
codename_47 wrote:

Shame

It's a shame. I pay for Sky, so I always listen to Crofty/Brundle, which is absolutely fine. Last September, I was away for the Monza race so had to watch Channel 4 highlights. I'd forgotten how good a commentator he is. Really enjoyed it (the race obviously helped too). His CART commentary will stay with me as well.

Out of interest, is there any Channel 4 footage from the Bahrain race? I'd be interested to see how Edwards handled the Grosjean incident.

Edwards has always been my favorite commentator, although I feel that Jack Nicholls in Formula E is the closest we have to replicating him

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion