TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:02 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 495 posts ]  Go to page Previous 121 22 23 24 25 Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:51 pm 
Your Stream Sucks
Your Stream Sucks

https://dai.ly/x7xtjy9
Explanation in 3D on TV of how Grosjean survived.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:56 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

nicko23 wrote:

I don't know what's being said in the video, but the visuals are clearly wrong. The car was not wedged into the rail at a 90-degree angle, nor was it that far through the rail either.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:57 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Omega wrote:
Now that it is clear that Grosjean survived, has only minor injuries which will heal soon, and will have no other lasting damage, isn't it time to give Grosjean a penalty for causing a collision, and bringing himself, other drivers and track marshalls in danger? I think a one race ban is on order, to make sure he really doesn't race in F1 anymore this year.

Grosjean's driving record has certainly been sketchy, but I think it would be pretty harsh to pin this entirely on him, even if the accident hadn't been as big or it had sent Kvyat off instead. Everyone there is taking risks at the start and changing lanes with the hope there isn't a car already there, and it looks like Grosjean was doing it in avoidance of Stroll. The mirrors on these cars are worth precisely fuck all so he would have been going off of a prediction on where the Alpha Tauri would be based on the last time he saw it, and we know that isn't one of Romain's strong suits.

I don't know why the FIA doesn't mandate better mirrors, every driver says they're useless in their current form. After the accidents we've seen this year I'd be for bus mirrors at this point.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:32 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

nicko23 wrote:

Interesting.

According to Giampaolo Dallara, who is quoted in the video, the fire was ignited by the ERS battery cables being severed and generating a short circuit.

Also, the impact angle is shown as perfectly perpendicular to the barrier. I wonder if it was the force of the impact that tilted the safety cell to the right, as it can be seen in the aftermath videos and pictures.

The halo acting basically as a giant can opener is more coherent with a head on impact as shown in the video.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:40 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Imo the rear of the car, still attached, made the cockpit rotate clockwise until the armco couldn't bend anymore, breaking the car in half as the back of the car, with the engine, still had a lot of forward momentum.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:52 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Philthy82 wrote:
Omega wrote:
Now that it is clear that Grosjean survived, has only minor injuries which will heal soon, and will have no other lasting damage, isn't it time to give Grosjean a penalty for causing a collision, and bringing himself, other drivers and track marshalls in danger? I think a one race ban is on order, to make sure he really doesn't race in F1 anymore this year.

Grosjean's driving record has certainly been sketchy, but I think it would be pretty harsh to pin this entirely on him, even if the accident hadn't been as big or it had sent Kvyat off instead. Everyone there is taking risks at the start and changing lanes with the hope there isn't a car already there, and it looks like Grosjean was doing it in avoidance of Stroll. The mirrors on these cars are worth precisely fuck all so he would have been going off of a prediction on where the Alpha Tauri would be based on the last time he saw it, and we know that isn't one of Romain's strong suits.

I don't know why the FIA doesn't mandate better mirrors, every driver says they're useless in their current form. After the accidents we've seen this year I'd be for bus mirrors at this point.

Chandhock pointed out that when Grosjean started the move, Kvyat would have been well out of his mirrors. Because of Stroll sliding across in front of everyone and Kimi going off to the left he made a split second decision. Then he found Mags going slower then expected and went further right. Yeah, he was careless but it's one of those first lap things that just came out a lot worse than anyone could have imagined. Not ban worthy like the Spa crash.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:05 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think Grosjean already received a natural punishment, and he will think twice before doing that again.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:11 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

He's already raced his last F1 race, what more punishment does he need

They should have a word with stroll about re-entering the track safely though.
I know you can't penalise a driver for not making contact with another driver (despite all the late swerving in braking zones that 100% requires a penalty imo, that's the precedent the FIA has set) but his actions caused the chain reaction to start.
If he'd have just kept his line then the concertina effect wouldn't have started in the first place.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:49 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
I know you can't penalise a driver for not making contact with another driver.

You can: unsafe rejoin, like Vettel on Hamilton at Canada last year.

Or in formal terms: "dangerous driving".

But this is a rule that seemingly never applies at speeds above 150kph where it would matter :roll:

But you know, let's wait for someone to die, then we can send our thoughts and prayers, change the cars and racetracks, further increaseing the feeling of comfort and safety that makes them do this.

Last edited by Coldtyre on Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:54 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Without tarmac Stroll wouldnt be able to maintain his speed and re-enter the track like he did and causing that chain reaction that led to Grosjean's mistake to steer hard to the right.

Again tarmac shows its the wrong option.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:00 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

It's the fact that Grosjean was alongside Kvyat in turn two, so he knew he was there, didn't even feather the throttle, and turned acutely across the track (check his crazy steering angle) that places the blame on him for HIS collision with Kvyat. But it was STROLL cutting right back across the track to the natural racing line in front of the pack checking it up that meant that Grosjean did what he did.

Stroll should definitely have some kind of penalty handed to him.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:09 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Joylon Palmer analyses the crash

At 10:13 the reaction of Ross Brawn (I think its him anyways). The way he closed his eyes and dropped his head is like at that point he was convinced it was a deadly crash. :o

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:44 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

micha wrote:
At 10:13 the reaction of Ross Brawn (I think its him anyways). The way he closed his eyes and dropped his head is like at that point he was convinced it was a deadly crash. :o

That's not Ross Brawn. :p Notice different glasses.
Looks like some employee of Haas.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:49 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

well, I wasnt 100% but thought it was him. Hair is pretty similar. These dang facemasks make it harder to identify people :p

But still, that look of defeat.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:52 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Grosjean tried to get out of the cockpit three times, meaning he became the first French not to immediately surrender under fire.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:52 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

NVirkkula wrote:
Grosjean tried to get out of the cockpit three times, meaning he became the first French not to immediately surrender under fire.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:29 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

NVirkkula wrote:

:flag: (sorry, we don't have a white flag in smilies :p )

Seriously though, from his interviews with the French media, he said that between attempt 2 and 3 he went through a phase of acceptation of death, where his body relaxed, he was convinced he wouldn't be able to get out and started wondering from which side the fire would get him, and how it would hurt.

Also, as some of you have rightly speculated, his left foot was blocked in the cockpit and he had to pull it out, hence why the left shoe remained there. He saw his gloves turn from red to black as he was pulling on the cockpit and barrier.

His positive attitude in those interviews, and the happy end, make it sound like much less worse than it was. In reality it's terrifying and being trapped helpless in fire is easily one of the worst situations a human being could find themselves in. It may take some time for it to really sink in, but imagine your fate being decided by the chassis/pedals deforming just a few more millimeters and pinching your foot in there.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:20 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
the onboard was freezed right before the impact, but I'm quite sure if they showed it'd be engulfed by flames just like that onboard from Will Power at Las Vegas 2011

Spoiler:

WARNING: the image is part of a fatal crash

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:43 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I don't think they freezed it on purpose, given that even more graphic footage of him moving in the flames was shown from trackside.

I don't know how it happens technically, maybe someone more informed about cameras can anwser, but it seems that even digital recordings sometimes lose the final footage before physical impact. I feel like we've seen this before, example Mark Webber's flip at Valencia 2010, it seems to cut a fraction of a second before the rool hoop actually hitting the asphalt. Massa and Gutierrez' flips are even more obvious examples of this, cuts when the car is still at a 45deg angle from hitting the ground.

Or I could be completely wrong and in all cases the director made the choice, but the way they freeze-frame it seems like a genuine cut in the onboard feed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:00 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

All the onboard cameras are slightly behind the trackside cameras - this is very noticeable if you are watching an overtake onboard and when it cuts back to the trackside camera the pass has already been completed and the overtaker is back on the racing line. I don't know why that is - possibly the technology in the cameras.

Obviously the feed stops transmitting from the camera at the point where the camera is broken - and as the footage that is sent back is on this delay, then the footage will stop before the point at which the camera is destroyed - the camera will have recorded it but won't have had the time to transmit it before the transmission breaks.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 495 posts ]  Go to page Previous 121 22 23 24 25 Next