TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:35 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 12 Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:10 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

NVirkkula wrote:
micha wrote:
NVirkkula wrote:

So yeah, Salo is most definitely giving inside information to our broadcast, it's been going on for years already. I don't think there's anything wrong about that and it shouldn't affect stewarding or penalties they give or doesn't.

It does put the "impartial" thing under question. Is the communication only one way? Has any Finnish receiver of said messages contacted him back questioning the penalty?

It's one way conversation, mainly sounds like he gives his opinion. If questioned about the call he quotes what the rules says and how he sees situation. I don't think he breaks the rules or integrity.

well, let me put it this way if it was a juror in a normal trial who leaked to the press he would be ejected faster than a 13 year old kid cums when touched by his crush.

While he isnt doing anything wrong technically I can see people questioning it. Salo = Finnish and his decision benefited a Finnish driver.
IMHO there shouldnt be any doubt in the decisions they make.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:17 am 
Official TBK Rain Predictor

Lol so we can't have stewards from a driver's country anymore?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:24 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fabs wrote:
Lol so we can't have stewards from a driver's country anymore?

thats not what I said.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:01 am 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Race stewarding is not like real trial, micha, I don't think those should be compared.

Ex-driver as steward is a part of crew of three or four, so one going his own way shouldn't change the end result much.

So far Salo has not favored Finnish drivers or SMP Racing drivers, so accusing him that is not fair. Salo has been extremely straight forward and consistant with rules and his own views, he is all against favoring anyone.

The real question is why it takes FIA half race to give the penalty for clear breach of rules. Teams shouldn't be able to stall the process like they are not allowed to do so in ball games or boxing for example. Why allow it in time sensitive sport where there's no pauses?

FIA should be able to deliver penalties so fast that we wouldn't have to be having this conversation in first place.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:13 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'm not suggesting he is/was favoring anyone. Just saying he shouldnt be spilling any info because that creates an opening to complain about and question his neutrality.

In the theoretical situation where Bottas would have gotten within WDC reach and they did give Hamilton enough points for a raceban and the next race would also been the last of the season, people would have collectively lost their shit over the simple fact he texted it before the official announcement.

The stewarts decisions have an influence on the race result. Just maintain a neutral stance and dont do things that could be explained the wrong way.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:41 am 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Oh look, it's the know it all miserable Australian on his high horse again thinking he knows how things are for real.

Maybe I have seen more Finnish F1 broadcasts than you and know by the fact that Salo is openly doing this and has been doing this for years already. Now some people foubd it out and thinks that this is a scoop or scandal which it isn't.

And yes, I know rulebooks are biiig books that only the most talented Australian engineer alone could understand that reading it from front to back takes tremendous amount of time, especially if one decides to read it all for one simple penalty and takes his time to listen the complains from the team they are trying to serve it.

Nearly every sporting rulebook is just like you, Scotty. Thick, boring and annoying as fuck to follow. It just so happens to be that in other sports it doesn't take half an hour to give penalty and they rarely are changed afterwards. And that's a flaw that should be fixed already. Salo announcing already handed penalty faster than F1 coverage is not his problem, F1 should announce them faster, which has been said multiple times on multiple occasions with different drivers and different breaches.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:48 pm 

Wins a race because teammate gets penalised, brings out his "to whom it may concern" line again.

lol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:00 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

not really sure what he was thinking there.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:36 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Yeah, not many people in Finland liked that. He lost some respect again.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:31 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

More evidence of his fragile mental state. The first time he said it, it made sense because he had been dumped in a very personal manner by Wihuri. This time he sounds like he is tilting at windmills. Why is he paying attention to what people write about him on the internet? Close the shit room door already.

It puts the mental strength of other number 2 drivers into perspective. Irvine had tremendous mental strength - he went to Ferrari knowing and accepting that he was Schumacher's inferior, never tried to change that or get on his level, and yet still had the mental fortitude to do the best he could and help Ferrari win their first (WCC) title in 20 years, even with Schumacher missing half the season.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:16 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Big thumbs up to Ricciardo.

I was expecting him to be furious on the radio about the penalty, which was entirely due to Ocon being a bit of a shithead in how he let them through, but he just sucked it up and "made up for it". Like a fucking champ.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:51 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
so do the invited driver-stewards receive training upon the invite or they just use their valuable experience to hand out penalties because tracks have poorly designed runoff areas and drivers now are bunch of Gregor Foiteks with a bit more of a talent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:19 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

RtN wrote:
More evidence of his fragile mental state. The first time he said it, it made sense because he had been dumped in a very personal manner by Wihuri. This time he sounds like he is tilting at windmills. Why is he paying attention to what people write about him on the internet? Close the shit room door already.

It puts the mental strength of other number 2 drivers into perspective. Irvine had tremendous mental strength - he went to Ferrari knowing and accepting that he was Schumacher's inferior, never tried to change that or get on his level, and yet still had the mental fortitude to do the best he could and help Ferrari win their first (WCC) title in 20 years, even with Schumacher missing half the season.

I miss Eddie Irvine. :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:00 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Bottas blamed his turn 2 lock up, at the start of the race, on "a massive bee or something that hit my visor" lol

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15246 ... p-overtake

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:16 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Scotty wrote:
Here's a weird story.

Finnish media were getting the drop on who was getting penalties long before they were announced, they reportedly were getting their intel from Mika Salo, who was the race steward. It's a big no-no apparently.

The cut by FOM to the drivers room stewards looking massively smug after the penalty was announced didn't help their case either :lol:

Also why they allow cameras in there is a mystery...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:34 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

Worth bearing in mind at this point that Mika Salo does not get on with the one major Finnish driver he raced against in his career, who also just happens to be one of Bottas' advisors. I'm confident there's no pro-Finland conspiracy going on

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:42 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

James B wrote:
Worth bearing in mind at this point that Mika Salo does not get on with the one major Finnish driver he raced against in his career, who also just happens to be one of Bottas' advisors. I'm confident there's no pro-Finland conspiracy going on

Why did they fall out?

Is it like a Schumacher/Frentzen girlfriend stealing thing?
Or a Hamilton/Sutil "what's REALLY going on here guys?" thing? :?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:43 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

NVirkkula wrote:
Oh look, it's the know it all miserable Australian on his high horse again thinking he knows how things are for real.

Maybe I have seen more Finnish F1 broadcasts than you and know by the fact that Salo is openly doing this and has been doing this for years already. Now some people foubd it out and thinks that this is a scoop or scandal which it isn't.

And yes, I know rulebooks are biiig books that only the most talented Australian engineer alone could understand that reading it from front to back takes tremendous amount of time, especially if one decides to read it all for one simple penalty and takes his time to listen the complains from the team they are trying to serve it.

Nearly every sporting rulebook is just like you, Scotty. Thick, boring and annoying as fuck to follow. It just so happens to be that in other sports it doesn't take half an hour to give penalty and they rarely are changed afterwards. And that's a flaw that should be fixed already. Salo announcing already handed penalty faster than F1 coverage is not his problem, F1 should announce them faster, which has been said multiple times on multiple occasions with different drivers and different breaches.

Dude, if you can't see how wrong it is that one of the race stewards is texting his mates in the media about the decisions that are handing down before being announced then I'm afraid that you are maybe the thick one.

There is no way that that should be happening at all and opens up all kind of criticisms, not the least the idea of impartiality. You may think its just notifications of penalties...but did you stop to consider what else he maybe telling people about confidential rulings and investigations that he is privy to??

In short, messaging his mates in the media about penalties breaks trust. And that's why it is wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:47 pm 

codename_47 wrote:
James B wrote:

Why did they fall out?

I'm not sure on the specifics but they were title rivals in British F3 in 1990 and even back then, relations were quite strained. Two different personalities - Salo's a no-bullshit, straight-to-the-point guy whereas Hakkinen's more laconic. Also I imagine there was a bit of tension from Hakkinen getting a lot more backing in his career

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:34 am 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

webbsy wrote:
NVirkkula wrote:

Dude, if you can't see how wrong it is that one of the race stewards is texting his mates in the media about the decisions that are handing down before being announced then I'm afraid that you are maybe the thick one.

There is no way that that should be happening at all and opens up all kind of criticisms, not the least the idea of impartiality. You may think its just notifications of penalties...but did you stop to consider what else he maybe telling people about confidential rulings and investigations that he is privy to??

In short, messaging his mates in the media about penalties breaks trust. And that's why it is wrong.

Sigh. Y'all hear about this just now and are outraged and paint the picture of what MIGHT BE happening while I've been seeing this for years already from our broadcasts. I know this better as I have more information than what you have.

Ask yourself, why hasn't other Finnish medias raised this up if only on of them is favored? That would have been great scoop for smaller motorsports medias and yellow papers. Maybe no one made headlines about Salo before because there's no favoring or leaking classified information but Salo giving insight within the limits that FIA allows him. Do you honestly think they had raised Salo's ranking if he'd be breaking sanctioning body's rules or trust? Wouldn't the FIA be investigating him if this would be true? And please enlighten me why RTL commentators also "knew" about Hamilton's penalties? Did Salo tip them off too?

Also, one little thing. Salo has denied giving any inside information about Hamilton penalties. Finnish commentator Juusela has said that his source was not Salo, but he's not going to reveal the actual source. My guess would be Finnish on track commentator mrs. Mervi Kallio, who has good direct sources at the paddocks too. So maybe, just maybe this is paddock talk that happened to be right? And since your golden boy gets the penalty, it's an immediate outcry of injustice and other non-sense with facts aside.

James B wrote:
codename_47 wrote:
James B wrote:

Why did they fall out?

I'm not sure on the specifics but they were title rivals in British F3 in 1990 and even back then, relations were quite strained. Two different personalities - Salo's a no-bullshit, straight-to-the-point guy whereas Hakkinen's more laconic. Also I imagine there was a bit of tension from Hakkinen getting a lot more backing in his career

They're just different personalities, they don't click. They've been rivals since kids and Salo's "army of one" attitude doesn't help the situation much. Häkkinen is more laid back in front of cameras, but he can be quite demanding personality too. And when in Finnish culture we have a lack of small talk, it looks more hostile to rest of the world than what it actually is. So...no major drama.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 12 Next