TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:59 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous 113 14 15 16 17 Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:03 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Scotty wrote:
Considering most of them were left fronts (Kyvat's was right rear) I'm going to have a guess and say it's from there running through that dirt patch on the corner as they come onto hangar straight. Probably a sharp edge to the asphalt there.

My thoughts exactly. Seems like everyone from Lewis to Giovinazzi was dipping at least half the LF tyre on the grass there every other lap, thus cutting the tyre running over where the edge of the tarmac meets the grass.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:27 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

SB83 wrote:
Scotty wrote:
Considering most of them were left fronts (Kyvat's was right rear) I'm going to have a guess and say it's from there running through that dirt patch on the corner as they come onto hangar straight. Probably a sharp edge to the asphalt there.

My thoughts exactly. Seems like everyone from Lewis to Giovinazzi was dipping at least half the LF tyre on the grass there every other lap, thus cutting the tyre running over where the edge of the tarmac meets the grass.

Extend the astro turf an extra 5 meters after the curb please. That is just unacceptable that the tyres are being cut from running off the edge of the curb. Totally unacceptable and poor form Pirelli.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:33 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Scotty wrote:
Maybe it was the extinction rebellion people that were in the crowd.

Threw some tacks on the grass when they were pretending to be marshalls.

I wouldn't put it past them tbh. :yuk:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:53 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I welcome anything that can bring us some excitement

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:44 am 
2010 TBK-F1 prediction King

webbsy wrote:
SB83 wrote:
Scotty wrote:

Extend the astro turf an extra 5 meters after the curb please. That is just unacceptable that the tyres are being cut from running off the edge of the curb. Totally unacceptable and poor form Pirelli.
Or, and here's a novel idea, stay on the track and don't go over the edge of the kerb.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:09 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/pire ... n/4849493/

Running to long on the tyres. No need to change the compounds for this weekend, just a higher minimum tyre pressure.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:42 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
fair enough for the drivers being punished trying to run too aggressive

perhaps F1 needs more of that, a patch of dirt after the kerbs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:46 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

gkmotorsport wrote:
I realised this morning that the result of this race - long-time leader having a mechanical failure on the last lap and not quite being caught by the other guy - is the result of the 1997 Hungarian GP that we didn't get.

A couple of early crashes, a long stretch of boredom and those most exciting last lap in years

It's Indy 2011

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:12 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
gkmotorsport wrote:
I realised this morning that the result of this race - long-time leader having a mechanical failure on the last lap and not quite being caught by the other guy - is the result of the 1997 Hungarian GP that we didn't get.

A couple of early crashes, a long stretch of boredom and those most exciting last lap in years

It's Indy 2011

Without the feel-good winner, though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:39 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Gabriel wrote:
codename_47 wrote:
gkmotorsport wrote:

It's Indy 2011

Without the feel-good winner, though.

As long as we don't end up with passed away winner half years later.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:14 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

pimmy wrote:
webbsy wrote:
SB83 wrote:

Or, and here's a novel idea, stay on the track and don't go over the edge of the kerb.

I was being facetious lol.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:08 am 

It's hard to tell on the internet. Some people like to blame Pirelli for everything.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:28 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Puncturelli heheh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:15 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Pirelli said when they returned, they will make tyres for show didnt they. So if they cant make a tyre last 40laps then its not for them to suppy in F1. Im not complaining, just saying.
In 2005 i remember a tyre had to last whole race distance made by Bridgestone and Michelin. And they did it without problems.
Sure some teams had some problems with it but eventually they did it that season.
So if they dont know how to make a tyre last 50-60 laps ask Michelin or Bridgestone

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:11 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'm sure Pirelli could easily make a tire that lasts the whole race, but I thought they were asked to provide tires that will wear out, giving us more pit stops and different strategies? It felt like that when they first came into F1. Unfortunately we now have almost every team on the same one stop strategy every race.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:03 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Left front is the tyre that should take the hardest stress on a circuit like Silverstone as far as I understand. Regardless of any corner cutting, just the general layout of the circuit.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:21 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

alex1369 wrote:
Pirelli said when they returned, they will make tyres for show didnt they. So if they cant make a tyre last 40laps then its not for them to suppy in F1. Im not complaining, just saying.
In 2005 i remember a tyre had to last whole race distance made by Bridgestone and Michelin. And they did it without problems.
Sure some teams had some problems with it but eventually they did it that season.
So if they dont know how to make a tyre last 50-60 laps ask Michelin or Bridgestone

Without problems lol

There were still plenty of punctures and precautionary pit stops that year too, and sometimes their flat spots were so bad, the suspension would fail before the tyre punctured :lol:

And that's before we get into Indy.... :whistling:

Tyre companies get shit no matter what they do, either they make the race boring or they make it dangerous....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:29 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

This is one of F1's modern paradoxes tbh.

They can provide tyres that are hard enough to not be risky, but teams will just run the whole race with them and complain about them being too hard to get heat into.

They can provide tyres that are fast and wear enough to put some randomness into the races, but teams will push them to their physical limits and they will occasionally go bang, making the teams complain that they are too fragile.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:43 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

gkmotorsport wrote:
This is one of F1's modern paradoxes tbh.

They can provide tyres that are hard enough to not be risky, but teams will just run the whole race with them and complain about them being too hard to get heat into.

They can provide tyres that are fast and wear enough to put some randomness into the races, but teams will push them to their physical limits and they will occasionally go bang, making the teams complain that they are too fragile.

Yea I think the same. They need to stop complaining. If you want to go for you damn one stop, then don't be surprised, no one forces you to do so. If the tires wears too fast, adapt. It's not kindergarten, it's the pinnacle of motorsport, you should be able to adapt. But that requires work

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:53 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

How you dare saying that teams should feel responsible for their own actions?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous 113 14 15 16 17 Next