TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:17 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 327 posts ]  Go to page Previous 113 14 15 16 17
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:23 pm 

micha wrote:
They should have a basic feed available free and a premium feed for paywalls.

Brings back memories of onboard camera lacking FTA races from 1999....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:53 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
the ban on tobacco sponsorship was also a big hit on F1

teams and tracks had the cigarette money, the tobacco was into every home tuned on open air tv and people filled their lungs with nicotine, tar and other carcinogenics

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:57 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

codename_47 wrote:
A lot of non-mainstream sports have had their moment in the sun (look at the documentaries like "When Darts ruled the World or how Snooker was a huge deal in the 70s/80s), become a craze, then cash in that craze for pay TV and lose the zeitgeist.

But darts is huge now, far bigger than when it was on FTA even though it's nearly all behind a paywall now

I don't think F1's struggles have anything to do with the TV package. It's more that it's just unfashionable. It was in fashion for a while in the late 2000s when it was very competitive and exciting, when working class parents started calling their kids Jenson in large numbers. But then people got bored during the Vettel era and the world changed - it's become a lot more politically and environmentally conscious in the last 10 years, and F1's just not compatible with that

Some of that popularity is coming back here because Lewis is winning, but not entirely because he's not as popular as Schumacher was in Germany or Alonso was in Spain. It's not all about dominance making people bored, though - that doesn't seem to be true. Viewing figures in Germany went up massively when Michael was winning pretty much every race. Similarly, tennis became a lot more popular through Federer even when he was winning virtually all the majors. Football's popularity rocketed when Man Utd were winning the league every year. For all the people that get turned off by dominance, there tends to be a lot more glory-hunters who want to feel part of that

I honestly think that as far as Britain's concerned, Lando's the one who's going make F1 popular and fashionable here again. He's funny, nerdy, grounded and accessible in a way that Lewis never has been. He's already got a huge following among younger fans and that's only going to grow if/when he's successful. There are quite a few bright personalities on the grid and Liberty are basically letting them off the leash in a way Bernie never did. That can only be a good thing in the long run

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:05 pm 

codename_47 wrote:
How does a new fan know if it's a product they want to reach into their pockets for if they can't see it first to sample it?

How do they know one team dominates all the time or the races are sometimes boring without being able to see them?

No, the paywall is 100% the problem, domination comes a 2nd (and we've had domination before, Mclaren in the late 80s for example and that didn't dent viewership, whereas it did go slightly down in the 2000s when Ferrari won everything but that was also due to the fact the on track action was 1000% worse than what we got today due to a combination of Traction Control, high downforce levels, refueling, grooved tyres and whatever else. You'd be lucky to get one pass on track per race)

A lot of non-mainstream sports have had their moment in the sun (look at the documentaries like "When Darts ruled the World or how Snooker was a huge deal in the 70s/80s), become a craze, then cash in that craze for pay TV and lose the zeitgeist.
Maybe we have to admit that F1 is now one of them. It was big in the 80s, maintained that through free to air TV up to the 10s then gradually will fade away from public consciousness, only playing to its hardcore audience who will dwindle as they get older.

Never before in Formula 1 has there been domination like we have seen since 2014. Mercedes have got the FIA wrapped around their finger. The FIA let Mercedes re-write the rules (great idea by the way) and now we are in this situation. Does this sound familiar? Where else have we seen the FIA bend over and let Mercedes fuck them, other competitors and the audience right in the ass?

It makes me laugh how people still think that Ferrari are the ones that get special treatment. That has probably been Mercedes' greatest trick of all; it's not that they had the rules changed to suit them, it's that they did it and none of the fucking morons that watch F1 these days even realise it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:35 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

XQR wrote:
codename_47 wrote:
How does a new fan know if it's a product they want to reach into their pockets for if they can't see it first to sample it?

How do they know one team dominates all the time or the races are sometimes boring without being able to see them?

No, the paywall is 100% the problem, domination comes a 2nd (and we've had domination before, Mclaren in the late 80s for example and that didn't dent viewership, whereas it did go slightly down in the 2000s when Ferrari won everything but that was also due to the fact the on track action was 1000% worse than what we got today due to a combination of Traction Control, high downforce levels, refueling, grooved tyres and whatever else. You'd be lucky to get one pass on track per race)

Maybe we have to admit that F1 is now one of them. It was big in the 80s, maintained that through free to air TV up to the 10s then gradually will fade away from public consciousness, only playing to its hardcore audience who will dwindle as they get older.

Never before in Formula 1 has there been domination like we have seen since 2014. Mercedes have got the FIA wrapped around their finger. The FIA let Mercedes re-write the rules (great idea by the way) and now we are in this situation. Does this sound familiar? Where else have we seen the FIA bend over and let Mercedes fuck them, other competitors and the audience right in the ass?

It makes me laugh how people still think that Ferrari are the ones that get special treatment. That has probably been Mercedes' greatest trick of all; it's not that they had the rules changed to suit them, it's that they did it and none of the fucking morons that watch F1 these days even realise it.

motorsport.com is also an obvious Mercedes/Lewis shill. If you subscribe to their emails, it's even more obvious. They have no shame! :lol: :yuk:

I look forward to the day when the Brackley team (good group of guys no doubt) isn't tainted with Mercedes' presence. I bet you a gazillion dollars that when Mercedes and Lewis eventually leave Brackley, all of that obvious wanking will immediately cease.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:11 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Scotty wrote:
micha wrote:
The thing is that if F1 wants to keep a healthy fanbase they need to attract new fans. The current format of paywall will not help with that.
The current format means the fanbase will shrink and thus making it less and less interesting for new manufacturers and sponsors.

And be honest here, I grew up watching F1 with my dad on open channels. I didnt start off watching full races right away but it grew over time as I grew older.
And I dont think I am wrong in saying that most of us here ran into racing due it being on an open channel. Either by ourselves or by watching with a relative.

And thats why I strongly plea for F1 being available to the widest possible audience.

You're just saying this because you can't afford it.

Don't be so entitled, we were incredibly lucky to watch an incredibly expensive, multi-billion dollar product for free, for so long. It's not going to lose fans because it's behind a paywall. People are willing to pay for streaming services these days, free to air TV is dying a horrible death in most countries. People are willing to pay for good products.

It will attract a bigger audience if more than 1 team fucking wins.

You know what they used to say? "Each F1 race is watched by more people around the world than the Olympics". Now while I always thought that was a bit of crap, the point was, it WAS beamed around the world to reach its maximum audience. Instead it is being broadcast to a dwindling audience (just look at all the reduced numbers of pay tv subscribers around the world). Now I have no doubt that the REVENUE is going up as the Pay TV companies are throwing more cash at it in an attempt to keep their current subscriptions.

Free to air TV might be dying....but guess what, so is cable (Foxtel, Sky etc). So what do you do? Do you put your lot in with a larger audience that brings in speculative revenue, or a smaller yet dwindling audience that gives guaranteed revenue?

Now if you were talking about STREAMING services like Netflix then that is a whole different story. If F1 were to team up with them and stream races live on that platform, then absolutely yes F1 would increase their reach....and relevance. But it isn't.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:11 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Scotty wrote:
I think the Netflix series will help its popularity too.

I've had a few people tell me hey I watched it on Netflix, now I'm into your sport :D

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 327 posts ]  Go to page Previous 113 14 15 16 17