TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 327 posts ]  Go to page Previous 113 14 15 16 17 Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:57 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Mercedes did it right and BMW almost did. They took over teams with know-how and experience in the sport, poured resources on them and went for it. Starting a new team from scratch and being profitable or successful is nigh-on impossible.

So unless someone like VW buy out one of the Alfa teams or even join Williams, we won't see a large manufacturer joining soon.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:13 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

VAG group has the money to compete in F1. They just dont care about it and they dont need it for any of their brands. Even Mercedes being so dominant doesnt trigger them one bit to join.

Same goes for the likes of Toyota and Hyundai (late 90s, early 00s tons of rumors around them).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:40 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
manufacturers doesn't want to race anymore, to the hell with them

the point is F1 must be a bit more simple, but yet teams still are a bunch of grabbing hands and they grab what they can, all for themselves after all

plus Toyota could return and use their expertise on turbos from back when they rallied with Celicas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:57 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

It's understandable why manufacturers don't want to race, though:

1) It'd be a lot of money down the drain to probably not win - big companies are a lot more risk-averse now

2) F1 is unfashionable in the Western world, particularly among younger generations who aren't that bothered about cars, have short attention spans and certainly aren't bothered about a self-indulgent sport that's stuck in the 20th century in its social and cultural attitudes. It's going in the right direction but it's going to be a while before Liberty's changes and the Lando Norris Effect start to make a major difference

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:05 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

James B wrote:

2) F1 is unfashionable in the Western world, particularly among younger generations who aren't that bothered about cars, have short attention spans and certainly aren't bothered about a self-indulgent sport that's stuck in the 20th century in its social and cultural attitudes. It's going in the right direction but it's going to be a while before Liberty's changes and the Lando Norris Effect start to make a major difference

This can partly be fixed by putting it on open channels again and stop handing out exclusive rights for games.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:32 pm 

micha wrote:
James B wrote:

This can partly be fixed by putting it on open channels again and stop handing out exclusive rights for games.

No chance. It runs much deeper than that. People around my age here in the UK still make the effort to watch football and cricket even though it's behind a paywall, but they don't seek out F1 because it's "boring" and full of Tories

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:05 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Football is different. There is a lot more of it on many levels. Here in the Netherlands the euro and World Cup can’t be behind a paywall by law so everyone can see that.

F1 on open channel at least generates exposure. Having 2-3 F1 games generates exposure. If F1 wants to stay relevant it needs exposure.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:18 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

plus football has about 10 matches in a weekend on each league so they have a better product to explore. Bernie wanted to have something similar but the logistics doesn't allow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:09 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Plus ball sports will always be more relatable as anyone can play them but with race cars, unless you're rich enough to race something or at least a sim-racer, you won't be able to relate. I know for sure that I'd never have been interested in motorsport if it weren't for racing sims.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:06 am 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

James B wrote:
micha wrote:
James B wrote:

No chance. It runs much deeper than that. People around my age here in the UK still make the effort to watch football and cricket even though it's behind a paywall, but they don't seek out F1 because it's "boring" and full of Tories

Exactly. Young fans don't watch TV anymore for their entertainment anyway. They consume it on their smartphone or tablet.
A few of my friends got into F1 thanks to Netflix. Now they're already bored because of the Hamilton domination.

It's a niche sport anyway now. You used to have all the glamour and danger of motorsport. Now it's just high tech prototypes driving on rails around a track. I don't think it will ever attract the general public anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:04 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

yeah the majority of kids dont have the attention span to watch a full race but there are always exceptions.

And they might just watch 5 minutes now but over time it can grow to a full race. IF they cant watch it.

The current format will only result in dwindling number of fans.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:57 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

plus cars of yesteryear were fragile and prone to failure that added to the challenge of circuits and difficulty to handle could cause more crashes

and me as a kid started watching so I couldn't miss the crashes

today you see only minor crashes and a big one every 10 races and so

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:39 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

if you go to reddit now you see someone posting "MASSIVE CRASH FOR....." and its a small spin with end plate damage.....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:45 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:
micha wrote:
yeah the majority of kids dont have the attention span to watch a full race but there are always exceptions.

And they might just watch 5 minutes now but over time it can grow to a full race. IF they cant watch it.

I think this is a massive misconception because I'm 30 years old and I don't have the attention span to watch a full race.

If there was a slight chance something might happen with the order of the top 3 in a race I might be able to hold on.

you dont represent every 30 year old.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:03 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

micha wrote:
Scotty wrote:
micha wrote:

I think this is a massive misconception because I'm 30 years old and I don't have the attention span to watch a full race.

If there was a slight chance something might happen with the order of the top 3 in a race I might be able to hold on.

you dont represent every 30 year old.

And you feel like you can speak for "the majority of kids"?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:36 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

BrainPain wrote:
And you feel like you can speak for "the majority of kids"?

I wasnt the one that first said kids have no attention span. I just agreed that this would indeed be the case for most.

My 6 year old falls in both categories atm. As long as Max is in, she can sit with me the entire race.

The thing is that if F1 wants to keep a healthy fanbase they need to attract new fans. The current format of paywall will not help with that.
The current format means the fanbase will shrink and thus making it less and less interesting for new manufacturers and sponsors.

And be honest here, I grew up watching F1 with my dad on open channels. I didnt start off watching full races right away but it grew over time as I grew older.
And I dont think I am wrong in saying that most of us here ran into racing due it being on an open channel. Either by ourselves or by watching with a relative.

And thats why I strongly plea for F1 being available to the widest possible audience.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:11 am 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Or maybe he doesn't want to pay for a product that's not worth the hard earned money.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:19 am 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Well said, Scunty.

Viewing rates in Finland was between 1 and 2,5 million when Häkkinen was winning and F1 was traditionally running every second weekend on same time on same free to air channel. So at best nearly HALF of population was watching and it's safe to say that everyone watched Suzuka 1998 and 1999.

Someone then had a bright idea introduce the paywall.

There's no official numbers anymore available, but it is estimated that the viewers are between 200 and 400 thousand these days and broadcast commercials are not bringing a lot money either.

Next year the rights moves to Cmore/canal+ and I expect the prices to skyrocket as you have to take stupid channels like golf and movies. So maybe 200.000 is the next top level of viewers in Finland.

Obviously it's a different story in other countries but I don't know why F1 let's this happen. It's easier to keep excisting fans than trying to lure in new ones in sport in general, but especially for a sport that is this complex and somewhat boring these days.

Last edited by NVirkkula on Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:05 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Its a matter of both for me.

I am tight on money but if I truly wanted it I could opt to cancel one subscription in favor of being able to watch F1.
If the races where masterpieces most of the time it would be easier to justify to myself to pay for it but right now it isnt.

And I'm still in a position where I could still chose to watch it. Plenty of families that dont have that option. And those are potential fans who's luck could turn around and end up spending money on the sponsors or a premium paid version of an F1 broadcast.

It not just a matter of the quality of the races or the financial capability of being able to pay for it.

If the races are taste there are still plenty of people worldwide left out that cant afford it.
If the races are on open channels, there are still plenty of people who dont care about it.

They should have a basic feed available free and a premium feed for paywalls. And then also work hard to improve the races organically (not by using dumb gimmicks) to justify getting the premium feed.

not 100% comparable but kinda like with YouTube. Like our stuff, go ahead and watch but we'll throw adds at your face. Like it a lot but dont want adds? Get premium.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:17 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

How does a new fan know if it's a product they want to reach into their pockets for if they can't see it first to sample it?

How do they know one team dominates all the time or the races are sometimes boring without being able to see them?

No, the paywall is 100% the problem, domination comes a 2nd (and we've had domination before, Mclaren in the late 80s for example and that didn't dent viewership, whereas it did go slightly down in the 2000s when Ferrari won everything but that was also due to the fact the on track action was 1000% worse than what we got today due to a combination of Traction Control, high downforce levels, refueling, grooved tyres and whatever else. You'd be lucky to get one pass on track per race)

A lot of non-mainstream sports have had their moment in the sun (look at the documentaries like "When Darts ruled the World or how Snooker was a huge deal in the 70s/80s), become a craze, then cash in that craze for pay TV and lose the zeitgeist.
Maybe we have to admit that F1 is now one of them. It was big in the 80s, maintained that through free to air TV up to the 10s then gradually will fade away from public consciousness, only playing to its hardcore audience who will dwindle as they get older.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 327 posts ]  Go to page Previous 113 14 15 16 17 Next