TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:58 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 421 posts ]  Go to page Previous 118 19 20 21 22
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:21 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

webbsy wrote:
As great as the penalty to Lewis was in terms of getting McLaren back on the podium it was a racing incident for me that didn't warrant a penalty.

Where else was Lewis going to go? He didn't swipe him or run him right out to the very edge of the track. Could he have held a tighter line? yes. But he was also ahead going into the corner, didn't open up the steering to have him off. Albon was trying to go way around the outside into a gap that was always closing and was behind him when they started breaking. He wasn't side by side going into the breaking to which Hamilton would have had to take a tighter line. If contact was made then, then that would have been Hamilton's fault.

There is such things as racing incidents to which I thought this was one.

Your analysis is right, Lewis had planned to take a normal line after defending and usually in that situation you don't expect the driver behind to have that much of a run around the outside. His steering was locked and his line at that speed takes him naturally to the outside kerb, as planned at entry.

However, once you see a car alongside and even slightly ahead at exit, what you do in those cases to avoid contact is to lift off slightly so that the car takes a tighter line without increasing the steering lock. It's feasible because at that point you're already on the gas so it's not like the car's momentum is inevitable. Easier said than done of course, but I think this is doable for a driver the caliber and racecraft of Lewis. He failed to do it here by negligence or by mistake, who knows.

I don't think the marshalls punished intent here, they punished the lack of evasive action to prevent an "avoidable contact", and the fact that a driver would just assume someone is gone and not at least plan to give space if needed. Even a honest mistake or oversight falls into the avoidable contact definition.

This being said, I've never been for penalties where there is no blatant intent. This is part of what builds respect and character between drivers, and it evens out over the long term between his mistakes and others'.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 421 posts ]  Go to page Previous 118 19 20 21 22