TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 12:01 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2447 posts ]  Go to page Previous 127 28 29 30 31123 Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:
Every old race sucks.

Unless you can immerse yourself in the feelings you had when you watched it the first time it's not going to be that enjoyable. I envy anyone who can do that.

Hamilton sucks.

Classic "people enjoy something, lets show my intellectual superiority by saying they are all wrong and only my vision is correct. Hahaha, you foolish feeble minded plebs, sometimes I wish I could be this dumb so I could enjoy things that I have already seen again too, but alas, my intelligence is a curse!!! *sob* "

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:22 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
classic races are the reason I'm still here, because if I miss one race and it's a classic I'll never forgive myself

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:46 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I like to watch old races that I absolutely don't remember a thing about. I may know the winner, but sometimes it's fun to watch a backmarker having a stupid incident that wasn't on my mind.

I don't need to watch Jerez 97 again (hey, that's the one F1 will stream tomorrow, btw). It's not like I'll be on the edge of my seat watching Villeneuve closing on Schumacher.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:20 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:
Every old race sucks.

Unless you can immerse yourself in the feelings you had when you watched it the first time it's not going to be that enjoyable. I envy anyone who can do that.

Couldn't agree less. I am finding it's interesting to watch old races with a different frame of mind that later events brought to us.

Like I said about Monaco 96, it's interesting to watch paying attention to Panis, who surely was under the radar of everyone at the time. Some weeks ago I watched Malaysia 12 and it came to my mind the irony that is Perez failing to win and later Maldonado clinching it.

Yesterday I watched China 12 and it was quite a fun experience to watch. Thankfully I couldn't remember a thing of this race before watching it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:22 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'm quite sure the qualifying of Jerez 97 was way better than the race

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Canada's now been postponed.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... ZSRbP.html

I fully expect at least the three races after to be postponed too. Does feel more likely we won't see racing this year.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:35 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

I enjoy watching old races, but in a very different way to watching live. I like to take in the look and feel of the cars and circuits, the atmosphere, the little quirks that have gone. Some races that were boring to watch at the time can be fun to watch back, and vice versa. I feel a bit more patience than when I'm watching live and hoping things happen - if I know what happens in the end, there's less of a weight of expectation on it

These days, if I'm watching old races, I try season runs so that I'm watching races in order that they happened - helps recreate the moment a little bit, but it is harder to sustain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:46 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

so, what's next? scrape the whole championship and turn the races left into exhibition races where liberty pays money prizes to the best placed drivers?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:47 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
so, what's next? scrape the whole championship and turn the races left into exhibition races where liberty pays money prizes to the best placed drivers?

What money? They don't even have the money to pay their own staff anymore.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14893 ... s-pay-cuts

This sport is in trouble. The Concorde Agreement runs until December...and then what?

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:53 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I can see someone taking away the sport for a little amount of money even though he earned a lot with it earlier

yes, mr Bernard Charles Ecclestone

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:56 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Man, I don't think Bernie would want it back even if they paid him to take it.

Unless he went full 1952 and just ran F2 cars instead. That might be the only way forward.

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeaa, he's done with it. No coming back there.

Liberty are sticking (stuck?) with it unless it gets so bad that taking a loss from selling cheap makes better sense.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:12 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

the other option is to sell it to Lawrence "Stroll" Strulovich

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:30 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Gaara wrote:
Canada's now been postponed.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... ZSRbP.html

I fully expect at least the three races after to be postponed too. Does feel more likely we won't see racing this year.

This is a good time to remember that a championship must have at least 8 races. There is still quite a room for a championship to be done in this sense.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:15 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:
Maybe if teams had gone into a spending cap years ago they would have been better prepared for a financial crisis like this? Just sayin'

This.

That's one thing that I hope to come out of this. A lot of teams may be struggling, so it would make sense for them to slash budgets and agree on a more cost effective formula. Then more new teams may be encouraged to join in the future.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:48 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I don't know if F1 teams are run like a regular business. Do they have treasury of some kind, for rough times? Or do they just run their budget to the ground every year anyway? Because in the latter case, it doesn't make a difference what the cap was at the start.

It seems that this is just the sort of sport that will stop entirely during a bad-enough global crisis, and then easily get restarted after once the funding and economy blossoms again. Long-term longevity doesn't seem to be an active interest for any team, except maybe Ferrari.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:45 am 
Official TBK Rain Predictor

The logical result of this all is that manufacturers will leave or diminish their involvement. I expect Renault and Mercedes to leave as full team owners.
Perhaps Ferrari will stop their support for Haas and Sauber which will mean those teams will dissappear.

Oh and teams will slash their staff numbers, that's for sure. But don't expect the drivers' wages to decrease lol.

Last edited by Fabs on Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:58 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Driver's salaries will go down. They'll go down to $0 because there won't be any teams left to pay them.

Coldtyre wrote:
I don't know if F1 teams are run like a regular business. Do they have treasury of some kind, for rough times? Or do they just run their budget to the ground every year anyway? Because in the latter case, it doesn't make a difference what the cap was at the start.

It seems that this is just the sort of sport that will stop entirely during a bad-enough global crisis, and then easily get restarted after once the funding and economy blossoms again. Long-term longevity doesn't seem to be an active interest for any team, except maybe Ferrari.

I believe all the teams are run in the same way any other business is run, but none of them will have capital reserves. They will try and make a small profit each year but any money that is left over is money that could have been spent on making the car better, so it's seen as wasted. Most teams will probably have credit lines with banks if they need money but it isn't likely to cover what will be needed to make up the shortfalls in revenue. There's no piggy bank with 'Break In Case of Economic Apocalypse' written on the side.

As Fabs points out, all the manufacturers are going to be cutting cloth in a way that will make 2008 look healthy. Because their revenue streams have cratered and even once we get back to 'normal', no one is going to buy a new car for a long time. You think Mercedes, Renault or Honda will be OK with chucking 9 figures a year at sport? None of them are obligated to beyond December.

Same goes for sponsorship. How many companies are going to be able to spend $5 or $10 million for a sticker on an F1 car? How many autoclaves has Gene Haas sold this year? How many will he sell next year?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:22 am 

RtN wrote:
Driver's salaries will go down. They'll go down to $0 because there won't be any teams left to pay them.

touché :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:35 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

F1 teams are pretty much like football teams. They spend what they have and what they don't have trying to win. That until someone with unlimited money decided to purchase the whole of it and spend it all until the Federation impose a financial fair play (or budget cap)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2447 posts ]  Go to page Previous 127 28 29 30 31123 Next