TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:17 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2447 posts ]  Go to page Previous 126 27 28 29 30123 Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:02 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

It was, the point I'm making is that older races are let off with a lot because of the nostalgia factor.

It was insane at the start and towards the end, and had a great underdog victory and reliability the like of which we'll probably never see again.

But as you well know, if it happened now, people would be saying it was shit because it was Monaco with zero passing, their favourite driver not winning or whatever other bullshit reasons people decry modern formula 1.

Such is life these days, anything in the past was automatically 100% great and anything new is shit.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:21 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
It was, the point I'm making is that older races are let off with a lot because of the nostalgia factor.

It was insane at the start and towards the end, and had a great underdog victory and reliability the like of which we'll probably never see again.

But as you well know, if it happened now, people would be saying it was shit because it was Monaco with zero passing, their favourite driver not winning or whatever other bullshit reasons people decry modern formula 1.

Such is life these days, anything in the past was automatically 100% great and anything new is shit.

LOL NO!!!!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol:

Just finished watching. VERY entretaining on the second hour. Much more than I remembered. A charge from Panis vs Alesi, then Coulthard vs Panis. And all the rest, one of the greatest races in F1 history.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:43 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

codename_47 wrote:

oh yeah people would say the 2004 Hungarian GP is the best race ever because Schumacher and Ferrari won!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:36 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
well, at least in 1996 cars looked (and sounded) way much better than the cars of today, even that McLaren with a hideous winglet over the engine cover

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:48 am 

FP3 should have just finished

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:15 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:

Boy, I saw the race in 96, it was instantly one of the most memorabele races I have ever seen. I didn't start to think that years later, I knew it during the race.

You're not going to win this one.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:11 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
so apparently Senna regreted a lot his move to Williams after the rule change and tried to force a move to Ferrari
https://sport.sky.it/formula-1/2020/04/ ... -sky-video

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:33 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I have no problem in agreeing with both views here - Monaco 96 had some hugely boring parts and it was still a great race (whilst I would never say it was a 10/10 race).

I guess one-third of 2012 races was more action-packed than that race but had not the epic factors that race had - the Monaco thing and the absolutely unlikely winner. Brazil 08 had an incredible ending but the first 60 laps were dull, and so it goes.

I think very few races are exciting from start to finish (no matter when it happened) and there is still the factor of what it means in the broader picture.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:39 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

One more thing on Monaco 96 - it is interesting to watch it knowing that Panis is the winner.

Surely he was lucky to have the unlikely event of both Ferraris, Benetton and Hill retiring and Villeneuve having a dreadful race. But he drove an amazing race himself that put him in such position as well.

First there is a move that the cameras failed to get, but he bravely overtook Brundle between Rascasse and Anthony Noghes in the first third of the race. Then, he undercut all that train by putting slicks first and executing it very well. And then he was the fastest car on track for a reasonable time. It was an incredible drive that matched an incredible struck of luck.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:49 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

And now I am very curious what a classic race is for codename_47.
That must be the race that owns all other races.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:38 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

EAS wrote:
One more thing on Monaco 96 - it is interesting to watch it knowing that Panis is the winner.

Surely he was lucky to have the unlikely event of both Ferraris, Benetton and Hill retiring and Villeneuve having a dreadful race. But he drove an amazing race himself that put him in such position as well.

First there is a move that the cameras failed to get, but he bravely overtook Brundle between Rascasse and Anthony Noghes in the first third of the race. Then, he undercut all that train by putting slicks first and executing it very well. And then he was the fastest car on track for a reasonable time. It was an incredible drive that matched an incredible struck of luck.

Exactly! He also managed to obliterate Irvine at the first occasion instead of losing 5 seconds a lap behind him like the others. I was afraid the race would be boring to watch knowing the result, but it was still thrilling.

I can't wait for Barcelona! Imagine if it rains there (unlikely but who knows), Schumacher may have another blunder and leave Hill leading again, to victory if the engine holds up this time!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:02 am 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/52175140

Looks like we'll lose a few teams soon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:45 am 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

Imagine my shock that Red Bull are one of the two teams opposing the budget cap, just a week after Horner said they should defer the new cars for another year "to protect the struggling teams"...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:54 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Coldtyre wrote:
I can't wait for Barcelona! Imagine if it rains there (unlikely but who knows), Schumacher may have another blunder and leave Hill leading again, to victory if the engine holds up this time!!!

Easy one two for Williams! Schumacher made a mistake going to Ferrari, he'll never win in that crap team.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:02 pm 

Don't forget Hill has to get off the line as well. He didn't do so well at the Nuburgring.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:18 pm 

I find when watching old races that its like I'm watching it live at the time of it happening, wondering who is going to win and willing on my favourite driver....then back to present day reality.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:55 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Omega wrote:
And now I am very curious what a classic race is for codename_47.
That must be the race that owns all other races.

Any of the Abu Dhabi races where Hamilton won. :p

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:25 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

thestig88 wrote:
I find when watching old races that its like I'm watching it live at the time of it happening, wondering who is going to win and willing on my favourite driver....then back to present day reality.

I almost everytime can't get into that trance, that's why it's bad for me to even read that a race was good, cause it raises my expectations A LOT and ruins almost any race.

This time, 1996 was my first year really watching F1, cause until 1994 I just can't remember. I watched it all, but no memories apart from Senna's winning and his death.

But I though in this race in particular, it rained until the end. I also tried to re-watch it on YT some years ago, and it was so boring. Cause it was some other english broadcast. Muray Walker and the HQ made it all the difference. Those Williams and most cars are such and eye candy and music to our ears. And when Panis got into hunting Alesi, I was actually very thrilled, like watching it all for the first time, now knowing what would happen.

Best experience watching a race that I have already seen once. Hands down.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:08 am 

Last Sunday 5.4 was a rainy day in Hanoi. It would have been an interesting wet race for sure. :(

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:48 am 

:8:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2447 posts ]  Go to page Previous 126 27 28 29 30123 Next