TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:59 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2447 posts ]  Go to page Previous 192 93 94 95 96123 Next
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:36 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
apparently the monopoly stache Chasey Carey was pushing the Rio de Janeiro government to approve enviromental permits to build a new track to host brazilian gp

all those things are very shady and the possible outcome is that F1 will not return to Brazil so soon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:27 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
apparently the monopoly stache Chasey Carey was pushing the Rio de Janeiro government to approve enviromental permits to build a new track to host brazilian gp

all those things are very shady and the possible outcome is that F1 will not return to Brazil so soon
No Interlagos?

Sent from my One Max using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:59 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

nope, apparently they're trying to end all the other contracts provided by Bernie friendship to get more money

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:07 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

It seems Binotto just can't catch a break :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:09 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Turkish GP won't be allowed spectators after all

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/turk ... 20/4886396

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:59 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I know he is/was an F2 driver but I figured I'd post it here. If someone wants to move it, feel free to. Anyway, Juan Manuel Correa posted a picture of the xray of his feet after his crash at Spa last year..... :8: :8: :8:
Spoiler:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:41 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Oh God... My feet hurt just looking at that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:27 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

RtN wrote:
The engine rules are in place until 2026.

And what exactly are you going to change? Electric? Can't do that as Agag and co. have an exclusive contract for 20 years, and current electric powertrains on F1 circuits would look horrific. Hydrogen? Possible, but the technology is currently underdeveloped and it would be expensive to force development, which defeats the purpose. The same as now but with some spec components? Slightly more useful than shuffling deckchairs on the Titanic.

Been thinking about the different options. I was listening to The Race F1 podcast this weekend and there were a couple of interesting suggestions. One possibility is a very small two-stroke engine that runs on synthetic fuel - it would at least be less complex and less expensive than the current engines. But it's also possible we could be heading for a standard ICE, either as an option (like in the BTCC with the ToCA engines, with a BoP system on top) or a compulsory ICE that all the teams have to use - the manufacturers may not like it, but given that they seem to be heading for the exit door anyway, what would you lose? The only issue to get around is Ferrari, because like it or not, F1 needs Ferrari - that probably rules out a spec ICE. That said, Ferrari needs F1 too

Either way, it seems like there's going to be a lot of soul-searching about what the engine formula could realistically be - the current engines are clearly not the answer, and if big corporations like Honda don't see F1 as relevant any more, something has to change. There's no point F1 holding on to its unique DNA if that DNA is going to lead to its extinction. I suspect whatever solution they come up with, there will have to be some level of BoP and certainly a significant cost reduction. I don't think any manufacturer will want to invest heavily if they know that Andy Cowell is going to hand their arses to them for another 10 years

All I know is the traditional ICE as we know it will probably be about as relevant as a steam locomotive to the railways by 2030 so they have to get it right. Contrary to what a lot of people think, the sport won't be able to just say "to hell with it" and go back to V10s. It has to be something that companies - not just car companies but any sponsors - will be willing to invest in, and they're not going to invest in Jurassic Park Motorsport

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:16 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

I just wish they'd push the development angle of the sport and say "to hell with it, run what you brung.
The only rules are the maximum dimensions of the car and the fact that it must not pollute.
Aside from that, knock yourselves out, get creative.
Lets see an electric engine vs hydrogen vs whatever else is going to be the future.

I'm sure that will ramp up development costs but also the PR push from the manufacturers to get to boast about their carbon neutral engines would tempt a few over.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:29 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

That's what I have felt all along. Set certain parameters and then say knock yourself out.

I live here in Tokyo and I'm starting to see more and more hydrogen fueling stations around. They are changing alot of the buses over to hydrogen fuel cells and I've seen a few cars fueling up at them...and guess who makes commercially available hydrogen cars??.....Honda and Toyota. Imagine if those two were slugging it out in F1!

Either that or just bring back the V10s. I've always wondered just how insane those would have been if they had even a quarter of the development costs that these hybrids have had.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:31 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LucasWheldon wrote:

I am one of those who received well the efforts of F1 trying to change its image so that it looks more friendly to a broader audience. But I have to call out their bullshit as well.

And here it is, "we want F1 to be sustainable, but hey don't forget to chop down those trees so that we can say we are racing in Rio again". And there was no need to do such a bullshit move.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:31 pm 

The issue with opening up the regs is that inevitably one manufacturer will get it right and have a Mercedes-esque advantage for years, whereas the rest of them will quickly get fed up of spending a gazillion quid on F1 and getting little out of it. It's not a sustainable way of doing it

Similarly, no corporation is going to invest in F1 with V10s or other ancient technology. All companies now want to be associated with decarbonisation and sustainability. They all have targets to meet and boards and customers to answer to. If the sport went backwards, it would end up with no money to spend

I can't see how the next formula isn't going to have BoP. It would be stupid not to

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:55 pm 

Max Mosely presented an idea for a "World Engine" back when he was FIA president.
https://www.motor1.com/news/14904/mosle ... ld-engine/

Didn't F1 manage quite fine throughout the 60's and 70's with very few different engine manufacturers, with the customer Ford DFV pretty much powering the majority of the grid?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:09 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

thestig88 wrote:
Didn't F1 manage quite fine throughout the 60's and 70's with very few different engine manufacturers, with the customer Ford DFV pretty much powering the majority of the grid?

Yes, but that was a long time ago.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:36 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

the difference is that the DFV was quite the best possible package under a budget. Pratically anyone with a sponsor could afford a batch and build a car around it

today they want to be the first in sofistication and avantgarde technology which in fact they're not, is all a bunch of rich people that want to win and at first sign that is not happening they simply quit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:00 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

James B wrote:
The issue with opening up the regs is that inevitably one manufacturer will get it right and have a Mercedes-esque advantage for years, whereas the rest of them will quickly get fed up of spending a gazillion quid on F1 and getting little out of it. It's not a sustainable way of doing it

Similarly, no corporation is going to invest in F1 with V10s or other ancient technology. All companies now want to be associated with decarbonisation and sustainability. They all have targets to meet and boards and customers to answer to. If the sport went backwards, it would end up with no money to spend

I can't see how the next formula isn't going to have BoP. It would be stupid not to

I think we have to stop worrying about domination

I've watched F1 for a long time now and there's been more periods of domination than there has been close racing.
Mclaren, Williams, Ferrari, Brawn, Red Bull, Mercedes

Yeah, there were odd close seasons. 2003, 2006-8 2012. And if you're lucky the dominant team might let their drivers race each other so you get 1988-9 and 2014-16

But yeah, every manufacturer comes into the sport hoping to dominate it, so I don't think one team dominating at the time they enter necessarily puts them off.
They know a program in F1 takes time to pay off so they come in with low expectations for the first couple of years, hope the team shows compettitiveness for the next 2 years then absolutely blitzes everyone else by year 5 or 6

F1 is about that more than it is "is that Glock?" close finishes tbh

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:18 pm 

Easy to say that when you love the guy who's dominating, mate. But ratings are tanking

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:19 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

Yeah and they are losing the fans that started following thanks to the Netflix show.

2 or 3 of my mates stopped watching because "It's always the same team and driver who wins"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:31 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

that's why is a good idea to make a second podium. Plus, when Hamilton is there doing his campaigns they can put an ad break and when they go back is the proper podium, that ended in a proper fight for the lead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:50 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

The only way out of Merc not winning everything is a spec series or success ballast/performance drop.

I don't get why they basically let the engine manufactures reach parity in the V8 era but haven't implemented it in this current era.....remember when Merc was allowed to develop up to the level of Renault and Ferrari engines?

But I'm convinced that while yes, the Merc engine is the most superior on the grid, the REAL reason why they are wiping the floor is the complete integration of the car and engine. They are simply on another planet with their car design. Everything is working in harmony. And it is quite frankly the astonishing high level of performance and commitment from all in the team to continue at the highest level and not drop the ball. It's not just the engine.

But let's face it, every era has domination, this era just has gone on longer than any other because the rule makers have essentially allowed it to and will continue to do so until twenty fucking six! The FIA is to blame for the shit show that is now F1.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2447 posts ]  Go to page Previous 192 93 94 95 96123 Next