TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:54 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2447 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1114 115 116 117 118123 Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:16 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
I liked 2005, at least until the Indy farce. Plus the cars looked good and the qualifying was way better than the one we have today

about the drivers from 90's

Valtteri Bottas - David Coulthard (wins here and there but always overshadowed by team mate)
Max Verstappen - a bit of Senna and Schumacher (mostly the worst of both and wet weather masters)
Sergio Perez - Jean Alesi (got a breakthrough season in which made him go to a good team in the worst moment)
Daniel Ricciardo - Nigel Mansell bar the off track antics (very daring on overtakes)
Sebastian Vettel - Jacques Villeneuve (stepped up winning but after a dry spell failed to deliver any good result)
Charles Leclerc - Mika Häkkinen
Carlos Sainz Jr - Jacques Villeneuve

Lewis also has the bits of Senna and Schumacher (but the best of the both)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:59 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Well looks like we agree to disagree. Remove the gimmick that is DRS (there is a reason why this "temporary fix" is/will be permanent) and you have the exact same situation as those cars, only ones that look way uglier, sound horrible, are heinously more complex, expensive and uninspiring.

I on the contrary LOVE the way Alonso attacked the corners in that car. Made it look like he was wringing the neck of the car every corner.

It is clear that it is different strokes for different folks.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:49 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

the only good thing about today's era is that Mercedes will eventually lose some races and seeing Toto pissed is priceless

other than that, only bizarre stuff like what happened last week or in Monza (aka the races we wait to happen by watching tons of shit races)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:50 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
Daniel Ricciardo - Nigel Mansell bar the off track antics (very daring on overtakes)

They are bit of a drama queen both aren't they.

F1 used to be about driver and machinery. Nowadays it's measured in electronics, units, babying the car, drivers bitching over the radio about another driver who just drove his car on the other drivers line, horrendous isn't it. How dare you to drive in my lane??? %&#!%%#! follows on radio. Wet tires actually mean safety car tires. Stupid tracks for the most. I miss McLarens going up in smoke. And the heartbreak when YOUR driver blew up. I miss multiple tyre suppliers. And I think DRS should be removed because it was a solution for heavily aerodynamic cars of the past. When you see a pass today, it's like now it is too much of an pass. You get slipstream and fly way past which I think will remove some side by side battles in affect. We get passing but they don't matter anything to me. I want fucking Dijon 1979-action.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:00 am 
Official TBK Rain Predictor

webbsy wrote:
Well looks like we agree to disagree. Remove the gimmick that is DRS (there is a reason why this "temporary fix" is/will be permanent) and you have the exact same situation as those cars, only ones that look way uglier, sound horrible, are heinously more complex, expensive and uninspiring.

I on the contrary LOVE the way Alonso attacked the corners in that car. Made it look like he was wringing the neck of the car every corner.

That's because they added all that downforce in 2015 because "the cars didn't look fast enough". Dumbest decision ever.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:05 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Fabs wrote:
webbsy wrote:

That's because they added all that downforce in 2015 because "the cars didn't look fast enough". Dumbest decision ever.

This is superfast:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:56 am 

Ferrari CEO retires

More change at Ferrari :flag:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:34 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

2005-era cars with DRS and there would be a lot of overtaking. Cars look better,faster and sound fantastic.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:26 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Fabs wrote:
webbsy wrote:

2017, but yeah I agree, no-one is giving the FIA enough flak for that decision
Anyone who has watched racing for more than 2 years knows that increasing aero=worse racing and removing aero=better racing
I believe it was a decision by Todt so the cars could have more single lap pace (yay? :roll: ) and also because the Mercedes PU at that point was unbeatable so Ferrari could only compete through Aero
(As it seemed to go in that year, Mercedes won at power tracks and Ferrari the tighter ones)

The irony being Ferrari were working on their PU quite a bit and if they'd left the aero levels at 2014-16 levels, the "interesting tactics" Ferrari power unit might well have led them to dominate in 2017-18
And I'm sure Todt would've made sure it was kept even more under wraps than it was in reality.

Back to the comparisons with 2005, it's odd that people are lusting for an era that had uglier cars with louder engines, putting on more processional racing with a close championship fight

IMO today we have better looking cars putting on, in 2020, batshit crazy races, but because the same people are at the front (Well, sometimes, hello Sergio, Hello Pierre) people call it "boring"
90% of the races this year have been very entertaining, with occasional outliers like Spain (which is boring in any era lol) that are boring
In 2005/6 it was only a random SC throwing people off strategy or rain than could spice up the racing.
(Though 2005 was slightly better, racing wise as the 1 set of tyres per race threw the teams calculations into disarray and there were occasional surprises as a result IE Nurburgring.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:43 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I liked 2005 and thereabout due to the fact that F1 still had that old grit in it. There were safety cars like today and safety concerns hanging in the loom yeah sure. Then we lost Jules and everything changed. Safety shouldn't be compromised just because we want cool looking cars, but there's a point where racing, dangers and "entertainment" meets. What makes it fascinating and where tales are made etc. There's people from the past mocking today's world and I hear people of today making fun of the past. Let's agree to disagree.

F1 today sucks.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:40 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I don't know about you but 2005 cars looked way better than cars today, despite winglets and grooved tires

Plus McLaren, Williams and BAR had great liveries

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:59 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

Codename, Coldtyre and Fabs are on the money here. 2005 was a fun year after what had felt like an interminably long period of Ferrari dominance. It got me back into F1 after losing interest for a while, because it felt like a breath of fresh air. But it wasn't really because of the racing. Imola was great because Schumacher couldn't overtake Alonso. Indy was entertaining because of the politics (apart from for those who paid a lot of money to go to the race). The Nurburgring finish was down to a tyre situation. Melbourne and Suzuka came from mixed-up grids due to the weather and the weird qualifying systems in place. Some of the more interesting races later on in the year came because Mercedes couldn't build reliable engines and the McLarens were forced to the back via an extremely unpopular penalty system for engine changes (or, in Montoya's case, binning it in qualifying at Hockenheim). Between this, the actual racing wasn't that great for the most part - the cars struggled to follow, refuelling meant drivers waited for the stops to overtake, and there was only one wet race all year

What made 2005 fun - and this is where F1 should learn something - is that Max Mosley forced through rule change at short notice because he knew it would screw Ferrari. Today we've pushed back the big rules changes a year to let the teams catch a breath. Mosley, for all his many failings, wouldn't have done that - he'd have forced the teams to press on, because he'd have understood that Mercedes, like Ferrari, are an amazing championship-winning machine but struggle when things don't go to their plan

I have a lot of fondness for that time in hindsight, but equally I also remember in 2006 being utterly bored by the first half of the season as Alonso was sweeping all before him and most of the races were pretty boring. Even in 2007, a lot of the main drama came off the track. Then all of a sudden 2008 happened out of nowhere because of a perfect storm of circumstances. That taught me that you can put whatever rules you want in place, but ultimately what makes a season interesting often has little bearing on the rules themselves, and is more about the bigger picture in F1 at the time - apart from closing the pit lane under the safety car, which was brilliant, always made things more interesting and no one's going to convince me otherwise

Last edited by James B on Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:00 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Caspar wrote:
I liked 2005 and thereabout due to the fact that F1 still had that old grit in it. There were safety cars like today and safety concerns hanging in the loom yeah sure. Then we lost Jules and everything changed. Safety shouldn't be compromised just because we want cool looking cars, but there's a point where racing, dangers and "entertainment" meets. What makes it fascinating and where tales are made etc. There's people from the past mocking today's world and I hear people of today making fun of the past. Let's agree to disagree.

F1 today sucks.

This needs to be quoted on the next page.

F1 today sucks. Everyone was at the pitwall to see Alonso doing a showlap which was equal to last year race lap with 2016 Pirellis and 2005 car. A 15 year old car can beat the cars of today on a show run with tires it was never prepared for! And on the last sector Alonso wasn't even close to the guardrail in that corner where Weber got puncture in 2010 and cost Alonso the title.

Maybe get V10 back with bio-ethanol and call it green instead of that turbo-hybrid over expensive nonsense?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:05 pm 

NVirkkula wrote:
Caspar wrote:

F1 today sucks.

F1 today sucks. Everyone was at the pitwall to see Alonso doing a showlap which was equal to last year race lap with 2016 Pirellis and 2005 car. A 15 year old car can beat the cars of today on a show run with tires it was never prepared for! And on the last sector Alonso wasn't even close to the guardrail in that corner where Weber got puncture in 2010 and cost Alonso the title.

Maybe get V10 back with bio-ethanol and call it green instead of that turbo-hybrid over expensive nonsense?

He was on slicks, though. In 2005 the cars weren't just on grooved tyres - they were on hard compound grooved tyres so that they could last two qualifying laps and a full race distance. It's not representative

And it still didn't look that spectacular around Abu Dhabi. Because Abu Dhabi's a really boring circuit whatever cars you send around there

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:00 pm 

Jeff Moorad's MSP Sports Capital buying into McLaren: https://news.sky.com/story/mclaren-sell ... l-12159554

Also the BRDC have announced the (current) pits straight at Silverstone will be named after Hamilton. They've said it's the first time part of the circuit has been named after someone - I'd assumed the Ireland chicane on the old International Circuit was named after Innes Ireland?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:19 pm 
2010 TBK-F1 prediction King
2010 TBK-F1 prediction King

It was named after Innes Ireland. He was the President of the BRDC too. No idea how they've made that mistake, unless they're deliberately ignoring it since that part of the track no longer exists.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:51 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

James B wrote:
NVirkkula wrote:
Caspar wrote:

F1 today sucks.

He was on slicks, though. In 2005 the cars weren't just on grooved tyres - they were on hard compound grooved tyres so that they could last two qualifying laps and a full race distance. It's not representative

And it still didn't look that spectacular around Abu Dhabi. Because Abu Dhabi's a really boring circuit whatever cars you send around there

Tell you what though, when you watch the lap it has that edgy-ness on braking and when turning into the corner. Not like early 2000 but those characteristics.

Driving a car like that compared to the smooth commuter cars you see on race day today is what made it thrilling.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:42 am 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:42 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Those cars from 2005 were brilliant with sound, 2008 cars were looking too ugly with winglets. Maybe because of memories and a breath of fresh air after the Ferrari domination.
But with DRS and multiple tyre choices races would be at least somewhere around this years in terms of quality, but miles in front with the appeal and sound.
And of course, those cars weren't a perfect machine, Mclaren and BAR had so much mechanical issues which led to random podium finishers. Also the quali system put up some great races just because of the mixed grid.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:08 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Kvyat reporting to the press that Tsunoda will replace him next season in Alpha Tauri

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2447 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1114 115 116 117 118123 Next