TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:09 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2447 posts ]  Go to page Previous 123 24 25 26 27123 Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:07 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Lewis isn't being treated any differently than Schumacher, with the exception that he doesn't have the Tifosi celebrating him when everyone else hates him for winning too much. Once Lewis stops winning and people move onto someone new to hate, he'll start getting all the respect Michael got in his twilight years.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:03 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Karan wrote:
Yup and he's earned every bit of that respect by doing doing a hell of a lot more off the track with his one thumb than Hamilton has in all.

Could you provide some examples of off-track things that Michael did, during his driving career? I honestly don't know.

The "comparison" with Michael set aside, I am with Scotty on this. A lot of the comments on Hamilton come from a place of intolerance (not necessarily racial, just towards his style and the ways he stands out), then try to rationalise it after the fact. If he just had a bland style and hid his personal life like most champions do, he wouldn't get nearly the hate he's getting currently.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:01 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I think he is a dick...but come the fuck on, he IS one of the all time greats. Here is a statistic for you. He has won at least 1 race every single year he has completed. 13 full seasons. No other driver has done that. That included the pretty terrible 2009 McLaren.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:09 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I don't think there's any doubting that Lewis is one of the greatest drivers of this era. Yes, he's had the best car for most of his titles, but which champions haven't? (Maybe Prost in 86?). You could see the talent immediately in the junior formulas, and how many rookies jump into F1 and match their world champion team mate? (especially one as good as Alonso). I think it's fair enough to be bored of someone winning all the win. I felt the same way about Schumacher in the 2000s, and would love for someone other than Mercedes to win this/next season.

Personality wise, I may find some of his music and fashion hobbies questionable, but I don't understand all the hate. His donations towards the Australian bushfires and his work with animal sanctuaries make me think he's a good guy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:28 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
once I saw one of the main comparisons he did with Rosberg, that he spent his childhood sleeping on a couch in a simple apartment while Rosberg lived in Monaco with everything he needed. His background is way different from most F1 drivers (I guess only Barrichello had similar begginings as his family wasn't wealthy to invest on a motorsports career rather relying on sponsorship only)

I guess this kind of background play an important part on what he is today, despite being managed by a celebrity manager rather than a sports agent like many athletes would do but that another part of his history

about drivers that didn't won driving the best car I can list backwards

2009 - Red Bull had the best car by far on the second half
1991 - Williams also had the best car on the second half
1986 - Williams had the best car, yet McLaren still had the most all around kit for that set of rules
1982 - Ferrari had the best car
1976 - Ferrari had the best car

all the other ones you might think the loser was better was actually quite head to head like in 1999, 1990 and 1972

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:05 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

Coldtyre wrote:
Karan wrote:
Yup and he's earned every bit of that respect by doing doing a hell of a lot more off the track with his one thumb than Hamilton has in all.

Could you provide some examples of off-track things that Michael did, during his driving career? I honestly don't know.

Fwiw he donated a vast sum to the Boxing Day tsunami relief effort and was privately very generous. He didn't shout about it because he's that kind of guy. I gained a lot of respect for him when I found that out

Anyway yeah Lewis is fine

More importantly, Horner's seemingly lobbying for the 2021 rules to be pushed back even further to 2023: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/52087212. I can see them being canned altogether now - the initial postponement has given the big teams leverage. F1 might be saving it's skin in the short term but it's dooming itself in the medium term if it postpones these new rules

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:03 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

The DAS system will not be allowed in 2021 despite the 2020 cars carrying over to (at least) 2021.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14885 ... das-system

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:08 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

1986 Oz gp starting in less than 2 hours

edit: wait, I miscalculated, is tomorrow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:34 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
once I saw one of the main comparisons he did with Rosberg, that he spent his childhood sleeping on a couch in a simple apartment while Rosberg lived in Monaco with everything he needed. His background is way different from most F1 drivers (I guess only Barrichello had similar begginings as his family wasn't wealthy to invest on a motorsports career rather relying on sponsorship only)

I guess this kind of background play an important part on what he is today, despite being managed by a celebrity manager rather than a sports agent like many athletes would do but that another part of his history

about drivers that didn't won driving the best car I can list backwards

2009 - Red Bull had the best car by far on the second half
1991 - Williams also had the best car on the second half
1986 - Williams had the best car, yet McLaren still had the most all around kit for that set of rules
1982 - Ferrari had the best car
1976 - Ferrari had the best car

all the other ones you might think the loser was better was actually quite head to head like in 1999, 1990 and 1972

Didier Pironi was the real champ in 1982. :(

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:52 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

iks wrote:
Yeah but it's not hard to achieve when your competition is miles back, made all the much easier when the rules don't change during your most dominant years.

I don't hate Lewis, and it's been cool watching him develop, but he does seem to get overly fawned over by certain people or organizations, like motorsport.com for example.

And it does get tiring seeing the same guy winning every weekend, especially with little competition. It was the same thing with Michael Schumacher back in the day. Nothing "racial" about it. :roll:

Underlined bit is common on the internet. When you're in the dominant, overused point of view, but try to present it as the minority, alternative underdog point of view and the minority one as the overbearing common OTT one....

Lewis gets way more stick than any other driver in F1 history.
NONE of this here on THIS forum has been racist, but the guy has legit actual racists (as well as people who are unconsciously racist and don't know it) to deal with on top of the normal F1 fans who don't like him because he's winning all the time/he's british/he crashed into their favourite driver once so he'll never be forgiven/he's ferrari's number 1 enemy no matter what driver he is or whatever else.

The rest of the post, you act as if Lewis just chills on an island for 50% of the year, shows up at Mercedes in February and is immediately handed the fastest car
When in fact a part of that dominance is due to Lewis' performance and if they had 2 Bottas', they'd probably have lost a couple of titles to Ferrari by now
It's not just driving, it's analysing the data, explaining that data to the engineers, testing lap after testing lap, motivating the guys back at the factory, all the P.R. stuff, all the contract negotiating stuff (which unlike most he surprisingly seems to do himself) and the 10,000 other things an F1 champion has to do outside of a grand prix weekend just to win

It's not like he was a nobody that was handed the driver in 2012 either. Toto and Nico came to the conclusion that Lewis would be the best for them because of his performance level to that point. They took a big risk on him and he did on them too considering at that point they had a car that could sometimes land pole and then go backwards as it chewed through its tyres worse than anyone else on the grid.

No doubt this post will just be seen as the Hamilton fanboy trying to defend his chosen one, but tbh this place is getting a bit culty with its Hamilton hate. It's like there's only one opinion wanted here and anyone who dares post in Lewis' favour is immediately shot down with the same old bullshit about his social media posts or his activism or whatever else that, in essence, doesn't matter to his performance as a racing driver, but still says more about the person attacking him than it does Lewis.
You don't like vegans/ecology/saving the planet or anything green, we get it. It's not unexpected on an F1 forum where we still have nostalgia for LOUD ENGINES and the free and easy petrol polluting, cigarrette sponsored times, but jesus christ, change the record occasionally.
No this isn't a call for censorship or restricting free speech, before you moan. Just a little courtesy that hating on the same person year after year gets....dull

I do hope he does decide to go to Ferrari because it'll be funny watching a lot of the sport suddenly turn 180 on their opinions on him, especially if he delivers them a title :whistling:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:56 am 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Hamilton sends everyone love and positivity.

I'm sorry for my earlier comment. I might have been wrong.

NVirkkula wrote:
Lewis doesn't smoke pot because it's animal cruelty and bad for the planet.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:16 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

You troll lol.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:49 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
The rest of the post, you act as if Lewis just chills on an island for 50% of the year, shows up at Mercedes in February and is immediately handed the fastest car
When in fact a part of that dominance is due to Lewis' performance and if they had 2 Bottas', they'd probably have lost a couple of titles to Ferrari by now
It's not just driving, it's analysing the data, explaining that data to the engineers, testing lap after testing lap, motivating the guys back at the factory, all the P.R. stuff, all the contract negotiating stuff (which unlike most he surprisingly seems to do himself) and the 10,000 other things an F1 champion has to do outside of a grand prix weekend just to win

people said a lot of this about Senna too, that he spent the winter testing riding jetskis and boats on his beach house while Jonathan Palmer and Allan McNish did all the work on those McLarens and he did what he needed to do on the race weekend

I'm pretty sure that if testing was available 24/7 like 20 years ago Hamilton would be doing like Schumacher, literally sleeping on the track and staying there to gather more imput even if he didn't actually drive on the day

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:58 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Jeez, if we can't even talk about what we think of certain drivers on some random forum anymore, what's the point of having a forum in the first place.

Vettel is a crybaby, Hamilton is a douchebag, Magnussen is an idiot, Schumacher was an asshole on track.

None of these statements are racist, anti Jewish, xenophobe or wrong, just my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:28 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I called Mercedes the evil empire but I cannot even call them like that anymore as their engineers are developing machines to help people with coronavirus

but they're still evil during race weekends

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:23 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
codename_47 wrote:

people said a lot of this about Senna too, that he spent the winter testing riding jetskis and boats on his beach house while Jonathan Palmer and Allan McNish did all the work on those McLarens and he did what he needed to do on the race weekend

I'm pretty sure that if testing was available 24/7 like 20 years ago Hamilton would be doing like Schumacher, literally sleeping on the track and staying there to gather more imput even if he didn't actually drive on the day

Lewis even invented that he was ill just to not go into the racetrack when they were testing wet tyres. He also despise the simulator. I doubt he would be like Schumacher in that regard.

He's fast, but just like Schumacher, they got very lucky to have the fastest car and no other big names on fast cars as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:37 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Schumacher was also luck to have great imput from Barrichello and Badoer who almost never left Fiorano

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:49 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

You don't get lucky for getting the fastest car, if you are one of the better drivers then the best team wants you. Only exception in recent history is Button, who was fast but always in the wrong car until suddenly Brawn GP happened.

BUT: once you are in the best team, you get it a whole of a damn lot easier. Sure, Hamilton and Schumacher will work on and off the track, but so does everybody else. For all we know, Sainz or Russell or Norris can be way better, doing way more work, have much more physical strength and technical knowledge and be a 10 time champ when given the right car. But we might never know, because it is F1 and without the best car, you are nothing.

Hamilton is a douchebag for finding himself amazing, blessed, the best of his generation. And so many around him will confirm it to him. And at the same time, he tries to act "humble" in ways that I don't find the correct English words for but it makes him look arrogant and unreal. And one wrong decision in his career could have meant that he would have been a one time champion with McLaren in 2008, and since then struggeling for that next title with Ferrari or Renault. So yes, you could say he was lucky after all to get that Mercedes by the time they were improving, and hit the ground running from the moment the rules changed. And that moment of luck will make him one of the best drivers in history. But is he the best of this field? We will never know.

The same goes for every great champion that won the title without much of a competition except of his teammate, if that teammate was even allowed to compete instead of being the nice number 2 driver.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:51 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

And now I'm going to watch the 1986 Australian GP

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:03 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

it was nice to see James Hunt apprasing the race sponsor :lol: too bad the broadcast ended right after the checkered flag

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2447 posts ]  Go to page Previous 123 24 25 26 27123 Next