TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 9:32 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2447 posts ]  Go to page Previous 187 88 89 90 91123 Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15207 ... in-f1-grid

Well this is fucking stupid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:45 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
totally expected. they think more about themselves than on the sport itself

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:54 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

I can see a huge line of manufacturers and racing teams around the world to throw that money on them to get ridiculed for fove years for being at the back of the grid getting lapped twice by dominating Mercedes. What a fantastic way to sell more Toyotas, BMWs, Fords and your technology and what not.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:32 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I kind of see the logic - it's not so much about keeping brand-new teams out (although it undoubtedly has that effect), but it's about encouraging any manufacturer (or other team owner) that does want to leave to sell the team rather than wind it up completely - it ties into the mechanism for leaving the sport.

Franchising without calling it as such.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:47 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

the problem is that manufacturers don't want to get into the sport because of the regulations and regulations keep private constructors out as it is too expensive

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:46 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

codename_47 wrote:
Scotty wrote:
This is the thanks he gets for literally saving the team. Did he have a contract for 2021? I'm hoping he got a decent payout.

I wonder how they will rig strategy and car set up in Stroll's favour when Vettel is wiping the floor with him. As much as we take the piss out of him at Ferrari, he will crush Stroll at Racing Point / Aston Martin.

If I was Checo I'd get a test/reserve role at Mercedes or Ferrari or RBR. Think that will be better than rolling around in the mud towards the back of the grid with Alfa or Haas.

Daddy Stroll's endgame with his will be a 2 year data grab in the hope that Lance can learn from Seb's experience

Meanwhile instructing that side of the garage to continue their odd in race decisions to ensure lance finishes ahead, of course

You think Vettel has been mad at his team strategist on the radio in 2020? Woooh, you ain't heard nothing yet!

At least this means an end to the team name no-one can quite remember. Goodbye force ind..... Racing Point

:flag: Congratulations Lawrence Lance Stroll, 2022-2032 F1 Champion :flag:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:39 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Gaara wrote:
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/152077/new-teams-will-have-to-pay-200m-to-join-f1-grid

Well this is fucking stupid

We're way more likely to lose teams than we are gain any

I hope that rule gets waived when we're down to about 14 cars after Gene Haas has got pissed off with more and more excuses as to why they're finishing last and pulls the plug, Mercedes think they've won enough and decide to spend their money somewhere else and Ferrari go flouncing off to Indycar, or any other myriad of fickle reasons that mean the wealthy backers of this sport pull their investment in teams

This is the sort of thing event managers do when they keep putting out updates about "ONLY A FEW TICKETS LEFT GUYS, GET YOURS NOW!" when in reality they've hardly sold any.
F1 hasn't any interest from any new teams and isn't likely to in the near future if at all, but they want to say stuff like this to pretend there is so much interest that the established teams are worried they'll lose out on prize money from the incumbants

Try harder, Liberty.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:32 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

Looks like everyone's favourite chemical firm-turned-road car manufacturer may be making a little investment

Remember where you heard it first

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:22 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

James B wrote:

Looks like everyone's favourite chemical firm-turned-road car manufacturer may be making a little investment

Hi Eddie. Didn't realise you posted here. :wave:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:35 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

that way his team will finally win the championship

with Lance Stroll at the wheel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:29 am 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

Lmao

James B wrote:

A full takeover seems unlikely though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:54 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Philthy82 wrote:
ptclaus98 wrote:
Philthy82 wrote:
I'd rather see Checo get away from this shitty sport and go somewhere like GTs where he can fight for a win and actually race without politics and shitty regulations getting in the way. I hope all the drivers I like do that and F1 is left with Stroll and Grosjean fighting for empty championships.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How are GTs anywhere near as bad as F1 in this regard? I'm talking IMSA as well as WEC btw, or any international sports car series for that matter. WEC top class hasn't been great just due to a lack of manufacturer participation but that looks likely to change soon. I'm sure there's more to your opinion than just kiddie emoji speak.

Aussie GTs and V8SC? Class One and DTM being useless? GT3 BOP? DPi vs LMP2? There's plenty of politics in sportscars.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:31 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

RtN wrote:
I kind of see the logic - it's not so much about keeping brand-new teams out (although it undoubtedly has that effect), but it's about encouraging any manufacturer (or other team owner) that does want to leave to sell the team rather than wind it up completely - it ties into the mechanism for leaving the sport.

Franchising without calling it as such.

You have a point and I agree with it. But just because something is logical doesn't mean it's not fucking stupid.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:42 am 

I'd say F1 having more than 10 teams isn't sustainable at the moment. It spreads the talent and pool of sponsorship too thin. F1 needs to protect its existing teams a lot more than look for new ones

As much as it would be good to have more teams on the grid, the reality is any new team coming in now - short of a big budget manufacturer entry like Toyota in 2002 (which, let's face it, isn't going to happen when they could spend a fraction of an F1 budget to race in Formula E) - will really struggle to compete, even with the budget cap in place. They would likely be further off the back than Virgin, Lotus Racing and Hispania were

We all want those extra seats for drivers but they'd be a waste of a driver's talent anyway, just like how Trulli, Glock and Kovalainen were wasted by the 2010 teams. I honestly don't think we're missing out on much - it's not 1990 and it never will be again. The only way to get more decent teams on the grid would be to go down a full customer car model but I can't see that happening for at least a few years because people are still too stuffy about it

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:04 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

The problem F1 and Liberty have is, what happens when Hass (inevitable) or Alfa/Alpine/Williams pulls the pin and there are no suitors? They have made the barrier to entry so ridiculously high without being a car manufacturer (engines that are astronomically complex and expensive) and now are going to impose a $200 million dowry payment to aid the competition before a single cent is even spent?

They are pinning their hopes on teams being bought out, but they are shit out of luck if there are no takers. That is the risk they have exposed themselves to.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:44 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

If someone isn't willing to buy an existing team because it's too expensive, they certainly aren't going to spend the extra money they would need to start from scratch even with the new entry fee removed.

Anyway, McLaren's probably first in the queue over the cliff. The car company is dragging the rest of the Group with it.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:04 am 

Worth noting at this point that Vietnam still hasn't officially been cancelled. My friend has been trying to get a refund for his tickets for the race for 6 months. He disputed the transaction with Visa and got them to refund the money, only for F1 to write to Visa to dispute that and successfully get the money back

Definitely something a bit strange going on. Makes me wonder if we'll ever see a race in Hanoi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:08 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

The two factors that have prevented this are points 1 and 2 in the drawbacks you listed. Costs and fear of one team dominating.

I like 3 car teams...but let's face it, it won't happen. It could be every team has to field an extra car at say 10 pre determined races a year. That becomes a class B championship with their own points scoring. But yeah, not going to happen.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:09 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

James B wrote:
Worth noting at this point that Vietnam still hasn't officially been cancelled. My friend has been trying to get a refund for his tickets for the race for 6 months. He disputed the transaction with Visa and got them to refund the money, only for F1 to write to Visa to dispute that and successfully get the money back

Definitely something a bit strange going on. Makes me wonder if we'll ever see a race in Hanoi

The new New Jersey and Miami??

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:00 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Yes but they have built a track in Hanoi ;)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2447 posts ]  Go to page Previous 187 88 89 90 91123 Next