TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:01 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:32 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Gasly got himself behind someone outside the Big 3 quite often and his best result was a 4th place in a race Vettel took himself and Verstappen out of contention, while Albon has been more solid keeping himself steadily within the Top 6.

The teammate comparison favors Albon a lot. When Gasly was at Red Bull, Max was winning races and showing glimpses of a future genius - Gasly looked shit in comparison to Max (remember Max winning in Austria and lapping his teammate?). Now Max looks like an improved version of Maldonado, and despite being considerably faster, there is a gap in favor of Albon.

I don't think Albon has been stellar - he's been decent and doing the minimum that would be expected for the second Red Bull car. But his race in Mexico was promising and suddenly he disappeared after the first stop. Not sure if the hard tyres simply didn't work (but Max did a great job with them), or he screwed his tyres trying to pass Sainz after the stop or whatever.

Albon is definitely an improvement on Gasly, but just like the Frenchman, he's still to beat someone of the top 6 in normal conditions. I guess there's no question of who will be in Red Bull next year and I am curious to see how will Albon evolve - I don't think he will be a proper challenge to Verstappen, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:29 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

kals wrote:
Karan wrote:
While it's true that Hamilton, Vettel and Bottas all had solid races, I feel their results were more a byproduct of their strategies. Whereas Max, while he had a somewhat messy race, had to make a lot happen on his own to go from P20 to P6. The Driver of the Day vote does not necessarily need to mean the cleanest/best performing driver of the day, but can just be looked at as the most eventful/standout driver of the day and in that vein I think Max is a worthy candidate.

Max caused his own problems and his rise from last to 6th along with his tyre management was mightily impressive, but his initial laps were so messy (along with that unnecessary tangle Magnussen) he doesn't deserve DoD. Albon on the other hand isn't getting enough praise. He probably had his best GP to date and considering his lack of experience, his race is being overlooked because 1) Verstappen's recovery drive, 2) Hamilton's verbal protestation about the tyre life only to win (again), 3) Vettel and Bottas being on reverse strategy and 4) Leclerc's charge following his second stop.

Albon finished just 21 seconds off Hamilton and 15 behind Leclerc. Yes he's in a Red Bull but that's still a great performance for a guy in only his 18th GP.

True, Albon's speed, consistency and maturity at RBR has been mighty impressive for a rookie. Does anyone even remember Gasly at RBR at this point...