TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:07 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:45 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

BrainPain wrote:
James B wrote:
James B wrote:
A Ferrari will qualify on pole, Mercedes will be nowhere until Lewis sticks it on the front row in the last seconds of qualifying, then Ferrari somehow conspire to fuck up the race, Lewis wins, and we don't even get the satisfaction of the title being settled because Bottas will finish 3rd

lol F1

Lmao that is actually amazing.

During the last 20 laps I came to start dreaming of the perfect scenario:
- Bottas gets in a scrap with one of the Ferraris and both crash out (only two cars though, not 3 - this is important for later)
- Albon gets his first podium
- Hamilton gets the title on that big podium with the car lift and all
- Max is not on the podium (this is why it's important only two cars retire, not 3).

Then nothing happened. Tast podium though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:47 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

BTW, how come that Max can just overtake a car wide around the run-off area (Mags at Turn 5) and not even get requested to give back the position?

Is it one of those cases where it's OK, as long as it's the powerful that are stepping all over the poor?

And the FIA should've censored the driver of the day vote. It wasn't even a superb drive, he came back to the 6th position, which is the last position in his racing class. yesterday's driver of the day was Lewis.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:34 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:

So yeah, the 2017 higher aero really, really fucked f1
If they'd stayed with 2009-2016 spec, the top teams might have a chance and dirty air wouldn't be the number 1 thing that ruins races, not team dominance, bad strategy, reliability or finances or anything else people like to moan about

Unless 2021 is a massive sea change in reducing downforce, the FIA can seriously get fucked

This.

I felt so disappointed at the end of the race. We had a great situation where the top 4 were closing up together. Vettel looked faster than Hamilton. Bottas looked faster than Vettel, and LeClerc looked faster than all of them. It was shaping up to be a great finish, and then nobody could get within 1.5 seconds of the car ahead. Abysmal.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:59 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Looking at the onboard of the start from Verstappen, Vettel and Hamilton both moved in for the same spot at the same time so can't really fault Vettel in that instance. He's not required to lay out a red carpet for Hamilton for an easy run down to T1. People getting their panties in a bunch over nothing. Stewards made the right call in this case, moving on.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
it doesn't matter who is out front, they can use clean air to make sure their tyres don't overheat and ease to victory

I think this is only true when you have a driver good enough to save the tyres.

See, Leclerc lead for a reasonable time, but Vettel had a way longer stint with the same compound of tyres. And, of course, we have Hamilton who managed to make a stint that seems unthinkable when you have Leclerc as the benchmark.

What saddens me is that there isn't a good option for a driver who is in the situation of Leclerc, of pushing harder and making one more stop - he has to attack the pack with the hardest tyre rather than with a more appropriate compound for someone who is going to a crucial stint.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:12 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Coldtyre wrote:
BTW, how come that Max can just overtake a car wide around the run-off area (Mags at Turn 5) and not even get requested to give back the position?

Is it one of those cases where it's OK, as long as it's the powerful that are stepping all over the poor?

And the FIA should've censored the driver of the day vote. It wasn't even a superb drive, he came back to the 6th position, which is the last position in his racing class. yesterday's driver of the day was Lewis.

I think Magnussen wasn't at his best speed at the moment he was overtaken by Max. It seemed it was half an overtake half a detour from a slower car. Didn't see anything wrong there.

About the driver of the day, it was more of a joke than awarding Kubica, IMO. The top 4 drove their asses off in a mental race and ended up very close - this result is disrespectful with their effort, especially with Hamilton's effort.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:31 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

EAS wrote:

About the driver of the day, it was more of a joke than awarding Kubica, IMO. The top 4 drove their asses off in a mental race and ended up very close - this result is disrespectful with their effort, especially with Hamilton's effort.

Fan voting never is a good idea. Fans never vote rationally but always pick their favorite.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:00 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Wasn't the Kubica thing an error?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:04 am 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

Fabs wrote:
Mercedes 1-4

Ez win as expected

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:51 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

mclaren2008 wrote:

thats what they said but I do remember people on Reddit trying to campaign to vote for him.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:59 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
if Max Chilton was around F1 these days surely some internet trolls would award him driver of the race because consistency on finishing 4 laps behind

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:18 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

While it's true that Hamilton, Vettel and Bottas all had solid races, I feel their results were more a byproduct of their strategies. Whereas Max, while he had a somewhat messy race, had to make a lot happen on his own to go from P20 to P6. The Driver of the Day vote does not necessarily need to mean the cleanest/best performing driver of the day, but can just be looked at as the most eventful/standout driver of the day and in that vein I think Max is a worthy candidate.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:28 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

mclaren2008 wrote:

An error was the official excuse for the trolling campaign. I remember last year we had Sirotkin among the top 5 in this voting and then they finally made it with Kubica.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:37 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Karan wrote:
While it's true that Hamilton, Vettel and Bottas all had solid races, I feel their results were more a byproduct of their strategies. Whereas Max, while he had a somewhat messy race, had to make a lot happen on his own to go from P20 to P6. The Driver of the Day vote does not necessarily need to mean the cleanest/best performing driver of the day, but can just be looked at as the most eventful/standout driver of the day and in that vein I think Max is a worthy candidate.

Max caused his own problems and his rise from last to 6th along with his tyre management was mightily impressive, but his initial laps were so messy (along with that unnecessary tangle Magnussen) he doesn't deserve DoD. Albon on the other hand isn't getting enough praise. He probably had his best GP to date and considering his lack of experience, his race is being overlooked because 1) Verstappen's recovery drive, 2) Hamilton's verbal protestation about the tyre life only to win (again), 3) Vettel and Bottas being on reverse strategy and 4) Leclerc's charge following his second stop.

Albon finished just 21 seconds off Hamilton and 15 behind Leclerc. Yes he's in a Red Bull but that's still a great performance for a guy in only his 18th GP.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:58 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Albon was also right behind the Ferrari's before his first stop, and then lost massive amounts of time. How much did he lose on Leclerc who stopped only a couple of laps later? I think 7 or 8 seconds. He wasn't in the race anymore since that. No, Albon was not impressive.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:12 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Albon is still very young and inexperienced, and I feel that it would be fairer to judge him properly in 2020 when he's had time to get used to the car and the team.

At the moment, I don't really understand the praise. He's generally quite a way off the pace of Max (which is understandable to an extent), and is finishing in the same sort of positions as Gasly was. His Mexico race was decent, but I think that the Red Bull was a match for Ferrari and Mercedes this weekend.

As I said, 2020 will be a fairer reflection of his talent, but I'm not convinced yet.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:28 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

De Cesaris fan wrote:
At the moment, I don't really understand the praise.

Maybe it's more about Gasly than Albon. He was considered the second coming after his GP2 title, and everyone expected him to give Max a run for his money.

No one really expected much of Albon after the surprising switch, and he has performed close to what Gasly did, in a car he is still figuring out.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:35 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

That's a fair point about Gasly. He was very inconsistent and the closest he got to Verstappen in qualifying was 3 or 4 tenths off a couple of times, failed to reach Q3 in the first two races and a few times was over a second off his team mate. In the races it got worse with Gasly finishing 30-60 seconds behind Verstappen and only troubling the top 6 in 5 of the 13 races. It was that inconsistency that frustrated Red Bull when it was challenging Ferrari for P2 in the constructors table.

Since taking over the 2nd seat Albon has finished in the top 6 on each of the 6 races, has averaged around 5-6 tenths off Verstappen in qualifying (although matched him in Japan) and has kept his nose clean in the races.

I can understand the skepticism with Albon, he's unlikely to win or stand on the podium before end of 2019. I'll be happy if he does though. It is fair to recognise that he's done better than his predecessor and on Sunday was in the fight for a podium for the majority of the race until after his final stop. As Leclerc was closing on Bottas-Vettel-Hamilton, so was Albon. That ended with around 10 laps to go and the gap to Leclerc increased from 8 to 15 seconds.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:25 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Karan wrote:

In Banger racing, we have an "entertainer" award for the driver who doesn't win but does the best to entertain the crowd (usually who causes the most spins etc)

Max was definitely that today.

Maybe F1 should think about an award for best driver and an award for most entertaining driver . :?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:35 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Gabriel wrote:
De Cesaris fan wrote:
At the moment, I don't really understand the praise.

Quote:
Maybe it's more about Gasly than Albon. He was considered the second coming after his GP2 title, and everyone expected him to give Max a run for his money.

Quote:
I still maintain that Antonio Giovinazzi was the more impressive of the two. Actually, I still believe he is.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next