TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:11 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Vettel could be another great assset to Formula E, until qualifying randomness pisses him off

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:35 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

He should go IndyCar racing. Every F1 champion should go IndyCar racing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:42 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:

I never liked Button because I felt like he was mediocre and only won that title because the Brawn was so fast, felt like almost anyone could have won in that car. But he had some amazing wet weather drives, which I feel is the sign of a really good driver.

He made an awesome 2011 season. He was very good at seeing which tyre was the best one for the wet and how to pace those 2011 tyres. He would also have run away with the 2012 Brazil GP wasn't for the SC.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Soul Reaver wrote:
Scotty wrote:

I never liked Button because I felt like he was mediocre and only won that title because the Brawn was so fast, felt like almost anyone could have won in that car. But he had some amazing wet weather drives, which I feel is the sign of a really good driver.

He made an awesome 2011 season. He was very good at seeing which tyre was the best one for the wet and how to pace those 2011 tyres. He would also have run away with the 2012 Brazil GP wasn't for the SC.

Nah, Hulk would have kept him honest.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:45 pm 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Soul Reaver wrote:
Scotty wrote:

Still McLaren's last win :8:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:07 am 
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel

Gabriel wrote:
He should go IndyCar racing. Every F1 champion should go IndyCar racing.

True.

I don't think he has the balls though. Neither does he need to have them. Guess he's good on money.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:02 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

The performance that's always fascinated me about Hill, which always gets overlooked, was that he was only 0.01 behind the famous three-way tie in qualifying at Jerez. Just imagine if that Yamaha had had a tiny bit more grunt that day. He could have plonked it on pole ahead of the two guys battling for his championship. Would have thrown a real spanner in the works

Anyway he was clearly very good. Even if you don't believe he was truly elite level, he was still inside the top 5 drivers in the mid-90s. There were enough great performances to put him there. For me, the order in that (very brief) period around 94-95 after Senna died goes Schumacher, Alesi, Hill, Hakkinen - all four being capable of being world champion multiple times in the right situation

Webber was also underrated most of the way through his career. I'm pretty sure the reason he didn't win a title for most of his pre-F1 career is because he was scraping around in under-funded teams, apart from possibly his 2nd season in F3000 where he came up against a dominant Justin Wilson. I think it probably masked just how good he was. His braking technique was absolutely sensational, by all accounts. Briatore is supposed to have said he believed Webber to be faster than Alonso over a race distance

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:01 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

0.05 seconds, but point firmly stands, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:27 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

James B wrote:
The performance that's always fascinated me about Hill, which always gets overlooked, was that he was only 0.01 behind the famous three-way tie in qualifying at Jerez. Just imagine if that Yamaha had had a tiny bit more grunt that day. He could have plonked it on pole ahead of the two guys battling for his championship. Would have thrown a real spanner in the works

Anyway he was clearly very good. Even if you don't believe he was truly elite level, he was still inside the top 5 drivers in the mid-90s. There were enough great performances to put him there. For me, the order in that (very brief) period around 94-95 after Senna died goes Schumacher, Alesi, Hill, Hakkinen - all four being capable of being world champion multiple times in the right situation

Webber was also underrated most of the way through his career. I'm pretty sure the reason he didn't win a title for most of his pre-F1 career is because he was scraping around in under-funded teams, apart from possibly his 2nd season in F3000 where he came up against a dominant Justin Wilson. I think it probably masked just how good he was. His braking technique was absolutely sensational, by all accounts. Briatore is supposed to have said he believed Webber to be faster than Alonso over a race distance

Damon was a great driver he just came up against a soon to be legend who made great drivers look ordinary

Also mark and Damon were similar in the way they came into the sport at a much later age than their contemporaries so that had an affect too.

Mark would be held in much better regard and probably at least the 2010 world champion if he had the teams backing and also if he worked on his starts at any point in his early career.
It was his number 1 flaw and he seemingly never did anything about it or it just built into a psychological thing that the more he worked on them the worse they got, but he must've lost places off the start in about a quarter of his entire career, it was baffling.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:43 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
Damon was a great driver he just came up against a soon to be legend who made great drivers look ordinary.

He was pretty much screwed over by circumstance here. If Michael was a couple of years later or if Ralf somehow made it first, Damon could have strolled to three WDCs on the trot 8O

Of course, no Schumacher would have also probably resulted in Senna staying around to stop him ever winning one...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:45 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

gkmotorsport wrote:
codename_47 wrote:
Damon was a great driver he just came up against a soon to be legend who made great drivers look ordinary.

He was pretty much screwed over by circumstance here. If Michael was a couple of years later or if Ralf somehow made it first, Damon could have strolled to three WDCs on the trot 8O

Of course, no Schumacher would have also probably resulted in Senna staying around to stop him ever winning one...

Actually, circumstance did Hill a big favor. Williams’ dispute with Mansell in 1992 resulted in an open seat for 1993. Prost’s retirement in 1993 meant the seat was again open to partner Senna for 1994, then there was Senna’s death that elevated Hill to team leader. Williams couldn’t get Mansell nor Frentzen to replace him for 1995 and 1996.

I’d say circumstance worked well for Hill, and Damon took full advantage of it.