Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 1:27 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:31 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Gabriel wrote:
LucasWheldon wrote:

didn't payed attention to that haha maybe I was at the bathroom, was it quite before Ricciardo dnf?

I think it was about lap 8-9, so yeah.

Can I put this forward as the moment of the season? That made me laugh, a clearly grown man bringing out his inner 12 year old on International TV.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:45 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think the moment of the season is COTA calling the new curbs inside of the fast right kink: "Verstoppers".

F1 is becoming more and more fun. Ahem, thank you 'Murrica, I guess?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:15 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

LucasWheldon wrote:

didn't payed attention to that haha maybe I was at the bathroom, was it quite before Ricciardo dnf?

It's a shame they didn't use the Channel 4 version of that, because Ben and DC just happened to be silent at that moment, emphasising it more

They also didn't directly reference it, leading to more of a "WTF, did I just hear that?" moment, rather than trying to make a bad joke about it as Crofty does...

Just FOM things....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:18 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

gd49 wrote:
I really didn't think it was that great a race. I had to watch it in parts which didn't help, and it was nice that Kimi won, but I didn't think anything was that special. Yes it was good that the top 3 closed up, and Hamilton's attempt on Verstappen was exciting, but there wasn't that much action otherwise. Maybe I just didn get into it that much but it didn't feel like a 10/10 race to me.

I did really like Hamilton's nose cam as he was closing up on Kimi early in the race - it was great to see the cars bouncing around on the bumps and they looked much faster than the other shots normally used, they need to be using shots like this more.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk

Indeed, it's more proof that people are more invested in a result than they are being excited by racing action. no matter who is winning
If Lewis had got by in the closing laps it would've been "worst race ever"
As it was, the only exciting parts were the good tast part where Kimi held off Lewis before his pitstop, and Lewis racing wheel to wheel with Max for half a lap near the end
Everything else was just holding station

Great result, but average race, and this is from someone who is on record as liking both Kimi and COTA.

(Saying that, there may have been a lot more excitement from 6th on back, but the director wasn't going to show it today. There was a large part of the race where we just followed Lewis around on his own as he tried to look after his tyres in the phase when he thought he might not need to pit. Poor direction this weekend imo )

Twitter:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:50 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I could much more happily tolerate a season of Lewis domination if the racing was close. MotoGP this year is proof of that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:46 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
As it was, the only exciting parts were the good tast part where Kimi held off Lewis before his pitstop, and Lewis racing wheel to wheel with Max for half a lap near the end

You're insane if you call "holding station" the part of a battle where they're setting up and driving hard to create an opportunity. It's like saying every boxing fight that ends in a KO is just hugging and jumping around, with only the final punch worth watching.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:41 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Coldtyre wrote:
codename_47 wrote:

You're insane if you call "holding station" the part of a battle where they're setting up and driving hard to create an opportunity. It's like saying every boxing fight that ends in a KO is just hugging and jumping around, with only the final punch worth watching.

boxing isnt worth watching at all

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:00 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

:8:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:42 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I was happy that Kimi won and Lewis (or Max) didn't.

But that does not change the fact that I thought it was not a good race. We have seen worse this year, ok that's true.

It does not help either that the difference between Vettel and Hamilton is so big in the WC standings, there is hardly anything to play for with a good number of races to go. If they would be close to eachother then I would probably have liked it a lot more.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:41 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Coldtyre wrote:
codename_47 wrote:

In Boxing you know both parties are trying their hardest to outfox one another

In F1, they're invariably in the dirty air and backing off to 2+ second to preserve tyre/engine temps, the parts when they're actually on it and trying to pass are limited to short max power blasts 1 or 2 times per stint, if not it's holding back and waiting for the pitstop

After so long of this dirty air racing I thought that'd be quite obvious by now. It was also obvious Max had nothing for Kimi in the closing stages and the only hope of a lead battle would be if Lewis got past Max pretty quick, but after one go at a good duel between them, I think Lewis backed off and thought title.
So yeah, only 2 good moments of actual racing that race, the rest was conserving.

Twitter:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:12 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
Indeed, it's more proof that people are more invested in a result than they are being excited by racing action. no matter who is winning

No, it proves that you read an opinion and automatically assumes that this is the opinion of "the people". Don't go into politics with that attitude.