PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:05 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Toto took Brawn place and now is improving the practice. Amazing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Tot has turned into a right prick since becoming a dad.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:27 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ian-S wrote:
Tot has turned into a right prick since becoming a dad.

I think he has decided he wants to age into a Helmut Marko elder figure - someone else will run the team, but he won't retire and instead lurks in the background throwing shit around.

Obviously he needs to wait for Niki to free up this position within Mercedes :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:28 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Hot take: There's never been an F1 team boss I've actually liked

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:17 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

Peter Sauber was likeable

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:03 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
But nothing for Vettel squeezing Bottas into contact the lap before?

I honestly don't understand what the general consensus is now on the line between "he had a right to that lane" and "he shouldn't have been there". To me Bottas was overtaken on the previous corner, Vettel had the racing line into the next corner and Bottas stuck his wing in where he was never going to get alongside. If F1 had a reasonable approach to racing room I'd say cars should never cut off or force eachother off track, but clearly that's not F1 and there are plenty of previous similar examples of someone losing their front wing where they were generally held here to be at fault.

I also wouldn't put much stock in Bottas' view, as he described his hit on Danny as "With Daniel, it was a similar thing [...] I am sure he saw that I was going quite quick into the corner but he still turned in, and then we touched."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:52 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

How far up your ass you have to be to make such statements? Nothing hurts my respect for a driver more than such comical self-victimizing declarations after a fuck-up. Valtteri isn't even the worst offender overall - yes, looking at you, Grosjean, Sainz...

I get that all F1 drivers have always been egocentrical brats who are convinced they're faster than everyone and deserving of a championship and for everyone to move out their way and invite them past... but how about sucking up your mistakes like a man, laying off the radio button during the race and shutting your mouth after the race. It's racing, another time someone else will mess up and take you out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:58 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

In both cases I was baffled by the lack of logical thinking from the overtaking driver

Vettel knew Bottas' tyre life was shot, so squeezing him into a corner and hoping he can magically find the tyre grip and somehow use the grass to avoid contact was baffling. Why not just track a bit wider through the corner, use the outside line in turn 2 and finish the move in turn 3?

Danny also knew Bottas was wounded due to his front wing, going to the outside and thinking Bottas would be able to turn in was a bit naive. Probably should've just braked early, watched Bottas sail wide and cut under him on corner exit.

I know, everyone is wise in hindsight, and Danny wasn't at as much fault as Vettel, but I was a bit disappointed with the lack of thinking from both drivers really, not taking the fact into consideration they were battling with a wounded animal.

But hey, at least we have SOMETHING to talk about after that race.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:51 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Bottas had a much worse tyre situation, but this is F1 in 2018 and this is Hungaroring - so overtaking isn't that easy.

Vettel himself struggled to have a proper chance to overtake Bottas. The last corner is too long to keep close enough to get slipstream and attack on the first corner. Vettel kept several laps behind Bottas despite being able to drive 1 second faster than the pace he had behind Bottas. So, he had to get right at that moment and give no chance of a recovery from the Finn. I don't think his squeezing was a bad decision.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:22 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
Vettel knew Bottas' tyre life was shot, so squeezing him into a corner and hoping he can magically find the tyre grip and somehow use the grass to avoid contact was baffling. Why not just track a bit wider through the corner, use the outside line in turn 2 and finish the move in turn 3?

Danny also knew Bottas was wounded due to his front wing, going to the outside and thinking Bottas would be able to turn in was a bit naive. Probably should've just braked early, watched Bottas sail wide and cut under him on corner exit.

Yeah, that's victim blaming. That assessment of fault only works if you think Bottas is absolutely incompetent and doesn't know how to manage a car with damaged aero or worn tires. If your wing is broken and your tyres are shot, you are still the only person responsible for holding your line and not putting your car in stupid positions. Every other driver out there has to assume you can do that, as to do otherwise would only slow their own pace, screw up their tire management and increase the likelihood of their own mistakes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:02 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

codename_47 wrote:
In both cases I was baffled by the lack of logical thinking from the overtaking driver

I know, everyone is wise in hindsight, and Danny wasn't at as much fault as Vettel, but I was a bit disappointed with the lack of thinking from both drivers really, not taking the fact into consideration they were battling with a wounded animal.

But hey, at least we have SOMETHING to talk about after that race.

How can you side with Bottas? He was obviously at fault in both incidents.

With Vettel, Bottas' tires were shot and there was no way he could realistically fight against Vettel. Going down the inside was just a dumb move. Either that or he tried to take Vettel out which would not surprise me after the absolute farce in Hockenheim where Lewis escaped any penalty for breaking a clear regulation (on grounds of "candidly" admitting fault, re-entered track safely, etc.).

Anyway, it is Bottas who should not have tried to re-pass Ricciardo into turn one. His car was done at that point and he should've let him go. To be honest I'm not sure if you're serious. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:41 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bottas really highlighted here why he was signed again. He's simply not talented to do more than ride Hamilton's coat tails so here's a new contract, man the machine gun while you're riding said coat tails.

He sucks. Like Philthy82 said, and at this level especially, you're expected to know what you're car is capable of. If your tyres are worn to shit, then don't keep your nose in when Vettel is already far enough ahead and you know you're not going to make the apex. And then after doing that, you damage your front wing and still go balls deep into Turn 1 alongside DannyRic and body slam him.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Even if Vettel had run wide Bottas would probably have hit him any way. He was always going to stick his nose back in there and overestimate the grip his tyres still had.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:35 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'm surprised at how much faith Vettel put into Bottas in turn 2, especially after a whole race where Bottas was clearly there to help Lewis. It would've been so easy for Bottas to just keep the whole wheel in and take out Vettel, instead of just rubbing the front wing, and it would be hard to prove intent.

I think Vettel expected fairness because Bottas is known for being class act (well, was before this race at least). Had it been Magnussen instead, or some old tricky bastard like Irvine or Schumacher, you'd definitely want to go way wide in turn 2 and leave them space to protect yourself from malicious intent (or make it more obvious if contact were to happen).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:16 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

HOT TAKE: I think two drivers known for occasionally-sloppy racecraft happened to have a sloppy moment at the same time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:45 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

My feature this week focuses on Valtteri Bottas' second-class role at Mercedes-AMG Petronas Motorsport. :flag: Thoughts/opinions?

https://sportsbet.io/bitcoin-sportsbett ... e-top-dog/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:06 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Well you already said "he sucks" so why do I need to read any further?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:08 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

SB83 wrote:
My feature this week focuses on Valtteri Bottas' second-class role at Mercedes-AMG Petronas Motorsport. :flag: Thoughts/opinions?

https://sportsbet.io/bitcoin-sportsbett ... e-top-dog/

I may not agree with the point entirely, yet I thought it was a really well written piece Sandeep. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by kals on Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:20 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

the ost wrote:
Well you already said "he sucks" so why do I need to read any further?

:lol: