TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:44 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10 Next
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 4:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Ricciardo also got some good luck since Ferrari and Mercedes were struggling with tire wear. Maybe the lack of pace for him also enabled to save more tires and drive more efficiently to win

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 4:59 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

People desperately want to compare his ride with that of Schumacher in Spain 94.

Schumacher Spain 94: stuck in 5th gear for big part of the race, finished 2nd.
So on a track where it is possible to overtake a sick car, Schumacher was stuck in one gear, managed to overcome the terrible acceleration (and even a pitstop) and actually did not lose a lot of time on winner Damon Hill.

Ricciardo lost 2 of his theoretical 8 gears (I don't think anyone used 8th gear) on a track where it is impossible to overtake. So he still had 6 gears. Enough to accelerate fast enough on the few straights so Vettel could not overtake. On any other track he would have finished way down the order, possibly 9th as Verstappen at one point was very close to the leader.

I'm happy Ricciardo won, but jeez let's not make it bigger than it was.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:53 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It looked like Vettel was gaining over half a second on the straights. Whilst overtaking is almost impossible in Monaco, Vettel would have had a shot if he had made it within DRS range. Ricciardo did a great job at consistently pulling out enough of a lead in the corners, especially if he was having braking issues as well. Add the mental challenge of having to change the way you drive Monaco for over half of the race... I think it was a fantastic performance.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:35 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Omega wrote:
People desperately want to compare his ride with that of Schumacher in Spain 94.

So on a track where it is possible to overtake a sick car, Schumacher was stuck in one gear, managed to overcome the terrible acceleration (and even a pitstop) and actually did not lose a lot of time on winner Damon Hill.

Ricciardo lost 2 of his theoretical 8 gears (I don't think anyone used 8th gear) on a track where it is impossible to overtake. So he still had 6 gears. Enough to accelerate fast enough on the few straights so Vettel could not overtake. On any other track he would have finished way down the order, possibly 9th as Verstappen at one point was very close to the leader.

It took me a long time to work out that Spain 94 and not Monaco 95 was what Horner was referencing in his team radio message

Get your facts right, pal :whistling: :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:02 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Omega wrote:

I understand what you are saying...but totally disagree with you. Yes I think Schumi's drive was great as you have described, but the massive thing you are overlooking is the fact that the performance differential between the cars in 94 was huge, where for all intents and purposes the performance levels of these cars are pretty much the same.

Hill beat Schumi by 24 seconds...third place was Blundell, in a Tyrell, a minute and a half back. 4th, 5th & 6th were lapped. They were a Ferrari, Minardi and Jordan. 7th was 2 laps down, 8th and 9th 3 laps down. (If he didn't have his problems he most likely would have lapped the entire field, or up to at least second place).

So if anything that field spread actually DETRACTS from Schumi's drive.

If Schumi had the same problems in Spain with the quality of the field that we have today he would have finished stone dead last and been retired. If Dan had the same field spread as Schumi in Monaco even with his problems...he probably would have won by over half a lap.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:54 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Omega wrote:
Ricciardo lost 2 of his theoretical 8 gears

And 25% of his engine power. And most of his rear brakes. And fuel efficiency due to the lack of electric power. And front tire endurance due to having to move all the braking bias to the front. Schumacher's race in 94 is perfectly appropriate to compare to, because both had an advantage in track position and both had to change their driving style to keep a half-dead car going for most of the race against competition in perfectly healthy cars.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:58 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Nice info yall. I kinda enjoyed this Monaco GP. Everyone in the top 5 were battling someone. Better than most races around here.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:39 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Philthy82 wrote:
Omega wrote:
Ricciardo lost 2 of his theoretical 8 gears

And 25% of his engine power. And most of his rear brakes. And fuel efficiency due to the lack of electric power. And front tire endurance due to having to move all the braking bias to the front. Schumacher's race in 94 is perfectly appropriate to compare to, because both had an advantage in track position and both had to change their driving style to keep a half-dead car going for most of the race against competition in perfectly healthy cars.

Completely agree with this and @
webbsy
above. Sure Monaco makes it easier to keep a faster car behind, but we all still celebrate Senna doing exactly this against Mansell in 92, without all of the above to contend with.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:31 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Didn't Senna have gears missing in 1989 and fooled Prost into thinking all was well

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:49 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

mclaren2008 wrote:
Didn't Senna have gears missing in 1989 and fooled Prost into thinking all was well

Yep, he basically ran qualifying laps without first and second gear and managed to keep a similar pace to Prost.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:22 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

webbsy wrote:
Omega wrote:

I understand what you are saying...but totally disagree with you. Yes I think Schumi's drive was great as you have described, but the massive thing you are overlooking is the fact that the performance differential between the cars in 94 was huge, where for all intents and purposes the performance levels of these cars are pretty much the same.

Hill beat Schumi by 24 seconds...third place was Blundell, in a Tyrell, a minute and a half back. 4th, 5th & 6th were lapped. They were a Ferrari, Minardi and Jordan. 7th was 2 laps down, 8th and 9th 3 laps down. (If he didn't have his problems he most likely would have lapped the entire field, or up to at least second place).

If Schumi had the same problems in Spain with the quality of the field that we have today he would have finished stone dead last and been retired. If Dan had the same field spread as Schumi in Monaco even with his problems...he probably would have won by over half a lap.

You say you totally disagree, but actually we are trying to make the same point. It is useless to compare it with Schumacher 94, and yet that is what some are trying to do.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:27 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My point still is: it was Monaco. Ricciardo did a good job to keep his sick car under control, but he could have dropped 5 seconds per lap and still win it in Monaco.

Maybe it is Liberty, trying to make this dreadful race in one of the best performances in 20 years.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:16 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Omega wrote:
Maybe it is Liberty, trying to make this dreadful race in one of the best performances in 20 years.

It's the best performance by a driver whose car had lost the MGU-K system in any Monaco GP in the history of Grand Prix racing.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:07 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Omega wrote:
My point still is: it was Monaco. Ricciardo did a good job to keep his sick car under control, but he could have dropped 5 seconds per lap and still win it in Monaco.

Perhaps. At a certain point Stroll was 4 seconds faster than Ricciardo. However, Verstappen overtook cars with a smaller gap in performance. So I think there is a huge merit in Ricciardo's driving to keep himself in the lead.

Quote:

It was Horner who did the comparison, in first place. And frankly, watching Schumacher stuck on 5th gear live was not as exciting as the achievement itself. Same for Senna in Brazil in 1991. In all cases, they are incredible displays of skill that aren't exactly exciting to watch while we are not aware of what these drivers are doing.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:19 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Omega wrote:
webbsy wrote:
Omega wrote:

You say you totally disagree, but actually we are trying to make the same point. It is useless to compare it with Schumacher 94, and yet that is what some are trying to do.

No I meant that I toattaly disagree with how you were trying to downplay how good a drive it was by Dan.

There has only really been 2-3 drives in this last decade where I have thought "How the fuck did he do that"???? This was one of them.

The others were Hamilton in Silverstone 2008 and Vettel in Brazil 2012.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 1:16 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

People should be highlighting and respecting a driver being able to keep an ailing car at the front of the field.

That's the way racing used to be.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:48 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

the ost wrote:
People should be highlighting and respecting a driver being able to keep an ailing car at the front of the field.

Which we all do, but it would have been possible only at this track. At any other of the 21 circuits on the calendar, Ricciardo would not have had a chance.

The fact that it was in Monaco, is a huge factor in why he succeeded, and therefore I rate his perfomance as good, but not WOW OMG BEST DRIVE EVER!!! as some people and some media are trying to convince us.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:54 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Omega wrote:
the ost wrote:

Which we all do, but it would have been possible only at this track. At any other of the 21 circuits on the calendar, Ricciardo would not have had a chance.

And if Schumacher had to do Spain '94 in the modern sport, he would have finished 12th. And if my aunt was born a man she'd be my uncle.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 12:56 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

@
Omega
We get it, you don't think it was as good as we think. We have outlined all the reasons why we disagree with you, and all you can say is well its only Monaco...passing impossible....a track that is surrounded by walls and demands 100% attention at all times and zero mistakes, which I can't recall him ever locking a break or running wide at the chicane.

Of course the team boss is going to lapse into hyperbole, but its what the other people who know a thing or two about these cars say about the drive that really matters. And they were all amazed by it.

No one here has ever said that he would have done that at any other track, so i'm not quite sure why you are so hung up about brining other tracks into it.

Just interested then, if you don't rate the drive highly, what drives would you rate better than his this year or recently?

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:35 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

But the track and the impossibility to overtake IS an enormous factor. Tell me another track where Ricciardo would have won with these problems. Singapore has walls next to the track. Baku has walls. If others were able to overtake but Ricciardo did the same laptimes as he did on Sunday without making any mistakes, he would have slipped back. People would feel sorry, saying he was fastest all weekend and really deserved it, and no one would mention what an amazing job he did despite his car problems. The question remains: did he win this one because of his amazing racecraft, or because faster cars couldn't overtake anyway? The track factor is too decisive for me.

It was not me who started the comparison with Schumacher in 94. We think Horner did (but he said 95), and then Autosport and other media picked it up and wrote stories about it. Autosport made a poll, the result was that 75% rated Schumacher 94 higher than Ricciardo's performance. I merely pointed out that it was stupid to even compare these, and
Omega wrote:

Want to make comparisons? Take Hungary 90. Fantastic performance of Boutsen, succesfully holding of a much faster Senna! Brilliant drive! Best race of the year!!! Or was the race actually quite boring but I bring it up because Boutsen is Belgian like I am, and Ricciardo is Australian like you are? How big of a factor is that?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10 Next