TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:39 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:25 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

First half of the race was meh but that 2nd half was epic!, Dani Ric showing true class!, that was awesome to watch

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:44 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

can anybody explain me the sense of a penalty that puts you in front of the guy that you divebombed into? That should have been a drive through minimum.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:54 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

DinoMarko93 wrote:
gkmotorsport wrote:
Hamilton's head isn't in it today. Or his tyres, but you get the point.

When the car is not on the top of the game,Hamilton seems to be slower then Bottas.

i guess after 4 WC he's starting to lack motivations, if he can't win a race he just nurse the car to the finish line.
Back in the days people reached f1 around 30 years old, had a 10/12 years career and then reached age limit. Today they reach f1 at 17, after 12 years they're just 30. Unless they have the cannibal mentality schumacher had, many of them just get bored and stay only for the money. Today f1 is 2% driving, 8% managing tyres and 90% public relations events, not exactly fun.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:04 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Looking backward, I still don't get how Bottas came ahead of Vettel after the first stop. Vettel seemed to have a good gap and I didn't see any serious mistake be Ferrari.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:21 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Their stop was about 0.8 slower than Mercedes and Bottas had a mighty final sector, but yes even I was surprised to see him get past

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Bottas was 3s faster on his outlap.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:14 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Omega wrote:
Bottas was 3s faster on his outlap.

Well yeah, because Vettel was behind Bottas on his outlap.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:20 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

No one's mentioned Alonso's move on Vettel yet... he just clean drove him off the track. Poor driving. Vettel should have kept his foot in it

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:18 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
if I was Vettel I would go for the pits and get fresh rubber to try anything on the final 10 laps

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:50 pm 

I guess the difference between an amazing move and a foolish move depends on what the car ahead does.

Gasly and Verstappen pulled the same EXACT move as Ricciardo, except Ricciardo didn't get the door shut on him. If he did, everyone would condem his move.

It can be argued that whether or not a driver is penalized is based solely on the situational awareness of the driver they were attempting to pass.

Fair? I think not.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:48 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Just saw the race highlights on Youtube. What a sensational drive by Ricciardo!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

TheEgg wrote:
I guess the difference between an amazing move and a foolish move depends on what the car ahead does.

Gasly and Verstappen pulled the same EXACT move as Ricciardo, except Ricciardo didn't get the door shut on him. If he did, everyone would condem his move.

It can be argued that whether or not a driver is penalized is based solely on the situational awareness of the driver they were attempting to pass.

Fair? I think not.

Gasly and Verstappen didn't even think about making a passing move until the car in front was already turning, while Ricciardo started his passing maneuvers when the car in front started braking. As Brundle said, at some point the car in front needs to take their eyes off the mirror and focus on taking the corner.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:50 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

cambridge wrote:
DinoMarko93 wrote:
gkmotorsport wrote:
Hamilton's head isn't in it today. Or his tyres, but you get the point.

When the car is not on the top of the game,Hamilton seems to be slower then Bottas.

i guess after 4 WC he's starting to lack motivations, if he can't win a race he just nurse the car to the finish line.
Back in the days people reached f1 around 30 years old, had a 10/12 years career and then reached age limit. Today they reach f1 at 17, after 12 years they're just 30. Unless they have the cannibal mentality schumacher had, many of them just get bored and stay only for the money. Today f1 is 2% driving, 8% managing tyres and 90% public relations events, not exactly fun.

For Lewis' defence I don't think it has anything to do with his motivation or being in the right mood. If you remember from the last season, Mercedes is not always lightning fast when in traffic that they are not lapping. The gap between Merc and others have also closed, so if you're not up front, you're just there where Lewis was today. And last year Ferrari had good start for the season as well, but look how things changed after the summer break. I see Lewis and Mercedes winning the titles again. Ferrari is too busy focusing on one car over the other that they will screw themselves over again.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:38 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

Another amazing performance from Verstappen.

What a clown.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:11 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Fabs wrote:

What a clown.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:55 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Philthy82 wrote:
TheEgg wrote:

Fair? I think not.

Gasly and Verstappen didn't even think about making a passing move until the car in front was already turning, while Ricciardo started his passing maneuvers when the car in front started braking. As Brundle said, at some point the car in front needs to take their eyes off the mirror and focus on taking the corner.

Gasly said he was told by the team Hartley would let him pass at the end of the straight. So, he was not expecting Hartley to turn like that and the crash happened.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:24 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Philthy82 wrote:
TheEgg wrote:

Fair? I think not.

Exactly. Dan doesn't launch his passing moves when they are about to turn into the corner. He does it under braking, not turn in. That's why despite some pretty tight and close moves he hasn't (as of yet) clattered into someone, because they still have a slight chance to see and react to him coming.

But more importantly I think, despite using the element of surprise Dan's behaviour under braking is predictable. Put a Sainz, Magnassen or Verstappen in the same situations and they will (have) taken the other car out because the other car doesn't really know what they are doing and how to cover them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:45 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

NVirkkula wrote:
Fabs wrote:

What a clown.

Can't say I disagree, but if you hear his post-race interview, something has shifted in him today. He took a serious hit mentally. This is the first time that he saw directly the result of his impetuous behavior. He can now see clearly that had he been more patient and more aware, he'd have literally won the race.

I mean, it's part of growing up. Even decent drivers in the past have made rookie mistakes being too optimistic or too aggressive. I like to see this, F1 has become way too conservative, watching youngsters learn is part of the fun - and in between Gasly and Max it's what made this race exciting.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:05 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
funny that even if he gets to be the youngest world champion, he'll do with more experience than the previous 3 youngest drivers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:53 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Verstappen is still at the point where other drivers his age would be making these mistakes in either GP2/F2 or other ladder series, away from the spotlight

He'll be a great driver, no doubt, but he's not there yet.

What was more distressing about this race was how without the random SC it would've been one of the most boring races in history, and even a 2 mile long straight wasn't enough to let the cars overtake each other

Also Vettel still hasn't learnt from Singapore, blocking Kimi at the start and costing him a place all because Kimi got a better start?
Surely letting Kimi through and letting the team fix the places at the pit stop (as Ferrari definitely would) would've been a smarter option than crowding his own team-mate and costing the team strategy options later on

SC choice was random too, 2 cars off track with marshals on track =VSC.
Small about of Debris in China= SC about a lap later

Charlie Whitin-consistancy again

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next