TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:08 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous 113 14 15 16 17 Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:38 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

thestig88 wrote:
At the end of the day, the American style of broadcasting and presenting is different from the British way, the US like the razzmatazz (and theirs nothing wrong with it, I personally like the US way), us Brits are just very vanilla and keep it simple.

Yup, pretty much.

@
TheEgg
I’m coming at it as an Englishman now living in the US, having had the luxury of different broadcasters in England (BBC, Eurosport, ITV and Sky) and USA (Speed and NBCSN). NBCSN was better than nothing but all too often a frustrating experience, when compared to the quality I’d been lucky to have previously.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:49 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Maybe it's time to consider closing the pits during sc/vsc as it's not like they'll run out of fuel like they would have 10 years ago when they got that rule cancelled.

As many have said, this isn't the first time it has happened and It will happen again
And don't forget they brought in the vsc in the first place because it was more "fair" than a regular sc period, so this way it'll be fair for everyone.

Or is it only "part of the sport" this time because it happened to a driver no one here likes?

Even worse than the vsc issue is the fact that Lewis In the faster Mercedes had no hope of getting by vettel after the sc.
Also bottas couldn't overtake cars that were 3 seconds a lap slower than the merc pace.

I rage quit after the sc and went to bed, knowing vettel had the race won and there's something fundementally wrong with a sport if its that predictable
But the powers that be are too in love with lap records tumbling and qualifying party modes to care about the terrible entertainment the races are bringing us

2 genuine passes all day. That's all that needs to be said really.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:07 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Drivers will still lose out though. Those on newer rubber will catch up under an SC and those on older rubber won't be able to get away once it returns to the pits. Maybe not even keep in front for long.

Whatever you do, people will lose out.

Unless you do away with pitstops altogether which will be impossible for endurance racing. And would mean much harder tyres to deal with heavy fuel loads and lasting all race.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:23 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It was the most fair before the VSC, people had 1 lap to pit before having to slow down, messing the less amount with the track position. Not that I liked that way....

My favorite SC procedures has to be IMSA, always love their fair yellow system, on the contrary that the so fucked up LeMans 24h

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:33 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
there's something fundementally wrong with a sport if its that predictable

Yeah, even at the track this was the main thought going through my head for the post-safety car portion of the race. A sport that produces something this predictable and anti-competitive, where even a hometown hero who is half a second from his first home podium can't make something happen, has some serious priority issues. And there are too many alternatives available (Indycar for one) to waste time on something this underwhelming. This will absolutely be the last F1 race I attend until they do something about the dirty air.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:00 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I've got no problem with pitting under the VSC. The problem that I have is that the pitlane isn't considered part of the track for the VSC meaning drivers can gun it up to the pit entrance line and gun it out of the pits to the pit exit line. Common sense would dictate that the VSC applies to all areas of the track, including pit entrance and exit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:28 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

webbsy wrote:
I've got no problem with pitting under the VSC. The problem that I have is that the pitlane isn't considered part of the track for the VSC meaning drivers can gun it up to the pit entrance line and gun it out of the pits to the pit exit line. Common sense would dictate that the VSC applies to all areas of the track, including pit entrance and exit.

The pit lane issue would be exaggerated at a track where the pit lane is very short, eg Montreal.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:18 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

kals wrote:
SB83 wrote:
Mika Kimi wrote:

People can blame Honda for a lot of things but blaming them for Sauber's performance is a bit harsh. :beard:

Heh yes but after McLaren's pre-season issues, there was a lot of speculation that Sauber would turn it around with Honda while McLaren would continue to suck and it would prove McLaren were the problem all along.

Alfa Romeo Sauber-Honda? Did I miss an engine partner switch between testing and Australia?

WHOOPS, meant to write about STR and its drivers not Sauber obviously. :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:56 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vers ... 18763/?s=1
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/bott ... 18743/?s=1
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/sain ... 18653/?s=1

Verstappen was slowed by floor damage, Bottas was slowed by an overheating engine, Sainz was slowed by drinking too much water. Are these legitimate issues or is it now just the done thing to make excuses when you finish behind your teammate?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:44 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Q:
Where is the big Ferrari logo on the ferrari engine cover?
I think it was written scuderia ferrari on it, why did they remove it?
I tought in testing they will be putting it on for gp weekends if not there

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:15 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Philthy82 wrote:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/verstappen-spin-australian-gp-horner-1018763/?s=1
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/bott ... 18743/?s=1
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/sain ... 18653/?s=1

Verstappen was slowed by floor damage, Bottas was slowed by an overheating engine, Sainz was slowed by drinking too much water. Are these legitimate issues or is it now just the done thing to make excuses when you finish behind your teammate?

Verstappen's excuse seems a little lame, and I think Sainz needs to evaluate his drink intake choice if his only option with a malfunctioning pump is to drink everything. Still, I can understand why he had problems with a full stomach :yuk:

I think the Bottas 'excuse' is going to become more relevant as the season goes on. It seems that Mercedes has again built a car that is worse in traffic than a lot of other cars - think of Mexico last year. Given that they might not be as far ahead as they hoped, this could really hurt them if they end up stuck in second in the other hot races.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:32 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Could always take the Barrichello route and claim Mafia conspiracy..........

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:11 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hamilton has also now said that his car was overheating while he was trying to catch Vettel, so it seems that Ferrari and Red Bull just need to either qualify ahead or muscle past at the start to push the Mercs into engine-saving mode...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:25 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

Scotty wrote:
Get rid of the VSC. Serves no fucking purpose, can't fucking stand it.

Make the DRS more effective too. Put a drag reduction system at the front and sides. Instead of a 20% drag reduction, make it 30 or 40%. Then races like yesterday will be avoided.

But then DRS would be way too effective on other tracks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:48 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

gkmotorsport wrote:
It seems that Mercedes has again built a car that is worse in traffic than a lot of other cars - think of Mexico last year. Given that they might not be as far ahead as they hoped, this could really hurt them if they end up stuck in second in the other hot races.

Without the Bottas crash on Saturday, and without the VSC, this would have been an easy 1-2 for Mercedes, with Hamilton 15s ahead of Bottas and Bottas 10s clear of the first Ferrari.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:23 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

gkmotorsport wrote:
Hamilton has also now said that his car was overheating while he was trying to catch Vettel, so it seems that Ferrari and Red Bull just need to either qualify ahead or muscle past at the start to push the Mercs into engine-saving mode...

It's optimistic to think that this is an exclusive problem to mercedes

Considering the amount of dirty air generated by these cars and the sheer lack of overtaking on Sunday, I'd argue every car has similar issues.

When people like Lewis Hamilton, Max Verstappen and Daniel Ricciardo can't make moves, you know there's a problem with the aero formula.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:06 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
another thing that must be put into F1 immediately is restart zones or something like that

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:32 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
another thing that must be put into F1 immediately is restart zones or something like that

Why?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:37 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
I don't like seeing the leader jumping ahead of the field, better go all scrambled on a restart to see if something unexpected happens

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:22 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fabs wrote:
Scotty wrote:
Get rid of the VSC. Serves no fucking purpose, can't fucking stand it.

Make the DRS more effective too. Put a drag reduction system at the front and sides. Instead of a 20% drag reduction, make it 30 or 40%. Then races like yesterday will be avoided.

But then DRS would be way too effective on other tracks.

Then, like tyres, make around 4 degrees of DRS, for each kind of track. From Monaco to Montreal....

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous 113 14 15 16 17 Next