TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:15 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:56 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

An old friend of ours implying that the honeymoon might be over.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:31 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

In McLaren's defense. Renault is the other team without a time........

But yeah, at this point I wouldnt be shocked AT ALL if Alonso walks out.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:42 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Can we already speculate on who will replace Alonso mid season?

Too soon for Norris? Too late for Button? Kubica is free-ish.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Button when he's free, Norris when Button isn't?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:21 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Omega wrote:
Can we already speculate on who will replace Alonso mid season?

Too soon for Norris? Too late for Button? Kubica is free-ish.

Mid-season? Optimistic..... At this rate I dont see him stay that long.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

There’s no need for sympathy for Fernando, today he got the wish he made on Wednesday

Fernando Alonso wrote:
Probably we need the last day to do some laps, to do some long runs, to check extra things, but in terms of fundamental answers that we need for the winter tests they are already okay, we have all of them.

So I don't need the last day. I will be in the car, I will drive, hopefully we keep discovering new things on the car.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:14 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor

Honda might not be as reliable as some think.

STR have used 2 PU's in the first week. They say that was plannend to analyse the components after X amount of laps. But it might just be that the Honda PU can't handle the mileage that's needed this season (avg of 7 races per PU)
Renault in comparison have used one PU up until last night.

That doesn't mean Mclaren aren't screwing up. There's clearly something wrong with their packaging.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:19 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

This reminds me of 1989. Ferrari's automatic (or semi automatic) gearbox I think it was, it broke throughout the wintertesting again and again.

First race, Brazil, and bam winning! Even though also in qualifying sessions the gearbox was causing lots of troubles.

I doubt it will happen with McLaren though in Australia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:15 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
quite sure that after Alonso quits McLaren, good results will appear like magic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:18 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Win 3 races in a row

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:30 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Well, one very good news for McLaren

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... a-1012932/

Quote:
McLaren already has a closer relationship with new Formula 1 engine supplier Renault than it ever had with previous partner Honda, says Stoffel Vandoorne.
After three predominantly frustrating years as Honda's works F1 team, McLaren initiated a split last season and is now a Renault customer.

Toro Rosso picked up the Honda deal and has been very complimentary about its new partner during a largely trouble-free winter.

But when asked by Motorsport.com how well Renault and McLaren were cooperating, Vandoorne replied: "Until now everything has been going very well.

"I think McLaren and Renault are perhaps closer than it's ever been with Honda, also because the culture is much more similar.

"It's a very open relationship. If somebody makes a mistake, the other party doesn't get the blame. If there's problems they quickly find a solution as well."

He described the atmosphere at McLaren as "quite different, very positive" compared to last season, even though the team has again had to grapple with multiple reliability problems.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:57 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Soul Reaver wrote:
Well, one very good news for McLaren

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... a-1012932/

Quote:
McLaren already has a closer relationship with new Formula 1 engine supplier Renault than it ever had with previous partner Honda, says Stoffel Vandoorne.
After three predominantly frustrating years as Honda's works F1 team, McLaren initiated a split last season and is now a Renault customer.

Toro Rosso picked up the Honda deal and has been very complimentary about its new partner during a largely trouble-free winter.

But when asked by Motorsport.com how well Renault and McLaren were cooperating, Vandoorne replied: "Until now everything has been going very well.

"I think McLaren and Renault are perhaps closer than it's ever been with Honda, also because the culture is much more similar.

"It's a very open relationship. If somebody makes a mistake, the other party doesn't get the blame. If there's problems they quickly find a solution as well."

He described the atmosphere at McLaren as "quite different, very positive" compared to last season, even though the team has again had to grapple with multiple reliability problems.

If you have to explain there is a good relationship, perhaps there is already something wrong with it. I don't know, but this looks weird.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:13 am 

So most people are expecting Ferrari are 3rd best.
Nobody knows either why everytime they leave the garage, there's a shitload of smoke.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:27 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fabs wrote:
So most people are expecting Ferrari are 3rd best.
Nobody knows either why everytime they leave the garage, there's a shitload of smoke.

Craig Scarborough pointed out that the exhaust on the Ferarri teams runs out through the rear crash structure. This is somehow having something to do with it.

Can see it really clearly on this shot of a Sauber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:18 pm 

I read it's possibly linked to their oil burning, apparantly the Ferrari powered cars all have this small trail of smoke when they're running.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:57 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I also noticed that Ferrari (the team, not the engine) was running on very low height. Every time they passed by, I could hear bodywork touching the asfalt. It was worse in corners obviously, but also sometimes on straights.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:24 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Fabs wrote:

STR have used 2 PU's in the first week. They say that was plannend to analyse the components after X amount of laps. But it might just be that the Honda PU can't handle the mileage that's needed this season (avg of 7 races per PU)

That doesn't mean Mclaren aren't screwing up. There's clearly something wrong with their packaging.

actually i was wondering: what if an egine supplier deliberately develop engine that can give let's say 50 or even 100hp more but can't handle the 7 races distance? I mean let's consider a team back in the grid, let's say a haas, wouldn't be better for them if they have a 50/100hp advantage for half of the season and then get penalized the other half for using more PU than the rules allow instead of just running the whole season struggling to enter the points?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:34 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Is that what Renault meant when they said they might have to get strategic with their engines?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:52 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

cambridge wrote:
Fabs wrote:

actually i was wondering: what if an egine supplier deliberately develop engine that can give let's say 50 or even 100hp more but can't handle the 7 races distance? I mean let's consider a team back in the grid, let's say a haas, wouldn't be better for them if they have a 50/100hp advantage for half of the season and then get penalized the other half for using more PU than the rules allow instead of just running the whole season struggling to enter the points?

interesting thought. A team like would be better off if it has a few races in the beginning with a few podium finishes (or even better) and thus also much on tv. So you could risk to race without setting the engine in conservative modus. And who knows, maybe the engines will survive longer then expected.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:43 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

aerogi wrote:
cambridge wrote:
Fabs wrote:

interesting thought. A team like would be better off if it has a few races in the beginning with a few podium finishes (or even better) and thus also much on tv. So you could risk to race without setting the engine in conservative modus. And who knows, maybe the engines will survive longer then expected.

Is the penalty for one extra engine still only a grid penalty of one race? One race where you start at the back but who knows what happens, and then a couple of races with a fresh engine and advantage against the others?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 Next