All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:12 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
NVirkkula wrote:
Christmas has also tried to kill F1.

but even still F1 tried to have racing during the holidays

radio should be used only for extreme safety like "a car stopped in turn 4, be ready do slow down" or to inform about penalties and so. anything more than that should be punished with a 10 seconds stop and go

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Coldtyre wrote:
I'm okay for in-race commentary, just have a TV mic there, just not relayed to the teams

And since when is swearing a problem in the UK anyway? I thought you guys were far less puritan than American TV. I'm disappointed.

Swearing before 21:00 is a massive no, no, they fell over themselves apologising on the BBC the other night when someone said arse on The ONE Show at 7pm.

I guess you could compare us to Europe in the same way you do America to UK when it comes to swearing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:07 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

If a competitor is being a f*cking c*nt then what the f*ck is the problem when you address it? As long as it stays on a very personal level, not connected to the said c*nt's ethnics, religion, nationality or preferences in negative stereotypes, it would be a great spice up for the races. They wave one finger salutes and fight after collisions, why no cursing then? All right, it's not very kid friendly, but imagine how much more feeling there would be?

This year in the Canadian GP Kimi Räikkönen cursed in Finnish and it was not bleeped. That made the headlines in Finland for the next week. No apologies expected, none given. But everyone got the feeling and totally understood it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:23 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

in brazilian GP after the race Massa shouted on radio the portuguese equivalent of "fuck" and wasn't censored until they published the best radio compilation

the local broadcasters just said it was all emotion and the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:34 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

NVirkkula wrote:
If a competitor is being a f*cking c*nt then what the f*ck is the problem when you address it? As long as it stays on a very personal level, not connected to the said c*nt's ethnics, religion, nationality or preferences in negative stereotypes, it would be a great spice up for the races. They wave one finger salutes and fight after collisions, why no cursing then? All right, it's not very kid friendly, but imagine how much more feeling there would be?

This year in the Canadian GP Kimi Räikkönen cursed in Finnish and it was not bleeped. That made the headlines in Finland for the next week. No apologies expected, none given. But everyone got the feeling and totally understood it.

The UK has been infested by a bunch of left leaning environmental loving liberals who do nothing more than getting offended on other peoples behalf and screaming "think of the kids" whenever anybody does anything remotely sweary or sexy before the watershed (or anybody dare propose something to do with motorsports).

The irony of a liberal who spends most of their time telling the world how they must be tolerant of others dictating what you can and cannot do/think/say is errr, slightly lost on them.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:44 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Ian-S wrote:
The UK has been infested by a bunch of left leaning environmental loving liberals who do nothing more than getting offended on other peoples behalf and screaming "think of the kids" whenever anybody does anything remotely sweary or sexy before the watershed (or anybody dare propose something to do with motorsports).

The irony of a liberal who spends most of their time telling the world how they must be tolerant of others dictating what you can and cannot do/think/say is errr, slightly lost on them.

It's cultural marxism. Those people in reality hate everyone, using noble causes is only part of their agenda. They want anarchy and destruction of civilized world and they attack the core of it in many ways. Nothing is sacred. Unfortunately they fool parts of great majority to believe in their causes as they sound great but in reality steers people to what you just described. Jokes are being taken literally and twisted to have a negative meaning that in reality isn't there.

A good example is that kids show Paw Patrol is now being called fasistic! I'm quite sure that the creators of that show wanted to do something good and now they're being accused of hate. And the Simpsons now have to get rid of Apu because he's character is a racistic stereotype. I'm sorry, but which one of the Simpson characters ARE NOT stereotypes? Homer? Mr. Burns? Female hockey players don't make as much money per average as men. Well maybe guys make more money because they get 20.000 fans to the game while ladies only get 200. Try to figure out how that affects on the salaries. F1 is suddenly sexist and grid girls will be therefore taken away. Great! Hundreds of models lose their job. It's not like they're forced there, they are hired professionals. F*ck off lefties, leave the good things to us! Go blow a joint or march for your cause or what ever. F1 is dead without your involvement anyways.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:24 pm 
Power-Hungry Shithead Mod
Power-Hungry Shithead Mod

Hah, I actually saw an article yesterday about how Thomas the Train was accused of the same fascist tendencies.
codename_47
and I had an interesting discussion about it. I think people are overthinking children's shows.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:05 pm 

NVirkkula wrote:
Ian-S wrote:

It's cultural marxism. Those people in reality hate everyone, using noble causes is only part of their agenda. They want anarchy and destruction of civilized world and they attack the core of it in many ways. Nothing is sacred. Unfortunately they fool parts of great majority to believe in their causes as they sound great but in reality steers people to what you just described. Jokes are being taken literally and twisted to have a negative meaning that in reality isn't there.

A good example is that kids show Paw Patrol is now being called fasistic! I'm quite sure that the creators of that show wanted to do something good and now they're being accused of hate. And the Simpsons now have to get rid of Apu because he's character is a racistic stereotype. I'm sorry, but which one of the Simpson characters ARE NOT stereotypes? Homer? Mr. Burns? Female hockey players don't make as much money per average as men. Well maybe guys make more money because they get 20.000 fans to the game while ladies only get 200. Try to figure out how that affects on the salaries. F1 is suddenly sexist and grid girls will be therefore taken away. Great! Hundreds of models lose their job. It's not like they're forced there, they are hired professionals. F*ck off lefties, leave the good things to us! Go blow a joint or march for your cause or what ever. F1 is dead without your involvement anyways.

This is one reason why the "Right" are on the rise across the world, people are sick to the back teeth of "Political Correctness" and making victims out of criminals and criminals out of victims. As mentioned the biggest irony is that "liberal" means freely, this 21st Century incarnation on "Liberal" is anything but. But do not tar all "Liberals" the same, their are the "Classical Liberals" out there today disgusted with what has become of their ideal ology.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:48 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Joe A wrote:
Hah, I actually saw an article yesterday about how Thomas the Train was accused of the same fascist tendencies.
codename_47
and I had an interesting discussion about it. I think people are overthinking children's shows.

It's not just children's tv that people are overthinking but I think the best one I saw was one calling for Sleeping Beauty to be banned as 'teaches children sexual assault is acceptable".

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:29 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ian-S wrote:
NVirkkula wrote:

I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm in my mid 30s and I grew up in a UK where the standard threatened punishment for swearing as a kid was having your mouth washed out with soap. Our parents were told things along these lines by their parents (my grandad's standard threat was a clip round the ear), and every school seemed to have a story of someone this actually happened to, which of course it did not.

My point it, although the UK is weirdly very culturally against 'bad language', it really isn't a recent thing.

P.S. the sort of people you are describing here are more likely to call themselves centrists than 'liberals', which really has lost meaning these days. Most genuine lefties will point out that unlimited tolerance only leads to intolerance (Karl Popper spelled it out quite well), and that violently opposing oppression is many times more effective than putting flowers in hair.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:38 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

thestig88 wrote:
This is one reason why the "Right" are on the rise across the world, people are sick to the back teeth of "Political Correctness" and making victims out of criminals and criminals out of victims. As mentioned the biggest irony is that "liberal" means freely, this 21st Century incarnation on "Liberal" is anything but. But do not tar all "Liberals" the same, their are the "Classical Liberals" out there today disgusted with what has become of their ideal ology.

Still waiting for an example of 'political correctness' that is a) actually not made up, and b) not just the reaction of people who previously enjoyed behaving shittily towards a group of people who previously had no real voice with which to object to it.

For example, the Sleeping Beauty thing was a complaint by one mother at one school. She called for it to be removed from the school library, and I can't find any follow-up that suggests anything was done. Of course, she ran to a paper and all the usual suspects printed a story which they knew would whip up their readerships...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

gkmotorsport wrote:
thestig88 wrote:

Still waiting for an example of 'political correctness' that is a) actually not made up, and b) not just the reaction of people who previously enjoyed behaving shittily towards a group of people who previously had no real voice with which to object to it.

For example, the Sleeping Beauty thing was a complaint by one mother at one school. She called for it to be removed from the school library, and I can't find any follow-up that suggests anything was done. Of course, she ran to a paper and all the usual suspects printed a story which they knew would whip up their readerships...

It's never really been a case of this country being too 'PC' but rather cretins within our media stirring up hate towards various groups. Doing exactly what Malcolm X warned us about. Helped by certain right-wing politicians looking to get ahead.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:53 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Exactly, hence the Daily Mail and The Sun still being the most popular papers despite the amount of hate-fuelled bull that they print every day.

When I was younger, the things that people complained were 'politically correct' are literally things that we call racist and homophobic today. People actually complained that you couldn't use certain words to describe black or brown people. Those same people still complain that a hugely racist image isn't used to advertise jam, for fuck's sake.

Anyway, slight amendment to my earlier post - my brother (37) has just informed me that our mum actually did wash his mouth out with soap! She saw him stick his middle finger up at a kid - I'm not sure why a gesture results in mouth being washed, but hey ho.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:13 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My mum grabbed my finger and yanked it backwards when I did that.

I was bought up in a household where swearing was ok when appropriate, like it was ok to swear if you hit your finger with a hammer, but not ok when asking for a glass of milk.

I didn't say the Sleeping Beauty thing was Political Correctness, in fact I'd put that in the "fucking insane" category.

P.S. I was Lewis's numbers age, although I've matured a year since, although some would probably question the use of the word "matured".

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:39 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

my mom use to threaten me to wash my mouth not with soap but with pepper instead

funny that we usually swear on a daily basis

and the most conservative people that just wanted to be racist like in the good old days rose to popularity mainly because of the social justice warriors nonsense

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:49 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
in brazilian GP after the race Massa shouted on radio the portuguese equivalent of "fuck" and wasn't censored until they published the best radio compilation

the local broadcasters just said it was all emotion and the heat of the moment

"Porra"? That over here is equivalent to a "damn", not a swear word at all.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:26 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

yep, just like this guy in the blurry image

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:31 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
my mom use to threaten me to wash my mouth not with soap but with pepper instead

funny that we usually swear on a daily basis

and the most conservative people that just wanted to be racist like in the good old days rose to popularity mainly because of the social justice warriors nonsense

Yeah, that was my point - I grew up in the 80s, and the aversion to bad language was decades old even then. I'm fairly sure there has never been a period where swearing on TV during the day has been acceptable in Britain. It's nothing to do with the perceived 'SJW' bull; it's a cultural thing that dates back certainly to the 19th century, and possibly earlier.

Of course, all British children learn to swear at school like everyone else.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:13 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

British TV has always been like that, they have relaxed the rules a bit recently for post watershed.

What I was saying is the system is very much more bias against apologising for bad language now, instead of just ignoring it or explaining it away, there's a infamous Tom O'Connor clip on YT from the 70/80's where one of his guests told a borderline joke and nobody stopped him or apologised, if the same thing happened today on the one show they'd shut the guest down and apologise immediately like they did with someone last year (Pub Landlord iirc), it's this constant desire to bend over backwards to apese a minority and apologise that's become the new norm thanks to the loony liberals.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:50 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ian-S wrote:
British TV has always been like that, they have relaxed the rules a bit recently for post watershed.

What I was saying is the system is very much more bias against apologising for bad language now, instead of just ignoring it or explaining it away, there's a infamous Tom O'Connor clip on YT from the 70/80's where one of his guests told a borderline joke and nobody stopped him or apologised, if the same thing happened today on the one show they'd shut the guest down and apologise immediately like they did with someone last year (Pub Landlord iirc), it's this constant desire to bend over backwards to apese a minority and apologise that's become the new norm thanks to the loony liberals.

So is Britain overrun by lefty snowflakes or have they recently relaxed the (probably too strict) rules which were previously in place for decades? Plenty of prime-time shows have language in them that definitely wouldn't have been scripted in the 70s and 80s. What has been cut out since then is a lot of the overt racism and homophobia. There's a reason why Love Thy Neighbour isn't repeated these days, and I wouldn't class it as 'appeasing minorities' so much as 'a lot of comedy used to be really fucking racist'.

TV presenters do tend to overreact, but that's because advertisers tend to pull money away from anything controversial and because Ofcom is happier to issue fines these days. Presents who immediately apologise tend to not have the book thrown at them, so of course they make sure the apology is ultra clear.

In my experience, people who complain about 'PC this or that' are usually people who, deep down, feel somehow oppressed because they want to be as racist or xenophobic or whatever anywhere they like, not just at home or in the pub. Ironically enough, that's literally the joke behind the Pub Landlord.