TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:16 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

They apologise because otherwise the papers start a 'moral' crusade and start bitching about it. Like with the Brand/Ross incident, that went quietly until the papers found out and told their idiot readers to kick up a fuss. It went from a few complaints to tens of thousands and made the whole thing much worse for Sachs.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:12 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

and the BBC doesn't have advertising.

Twas the answer I was expecting, what happens after 9pm and any relaxing of regulations towards that has no relation to the over-reaction of presenters to the slightest thing before 9pm which has, and I think we can all agree on this, gone stratospheric in recent times in the name of "protecting people".

Objecting to being dictated to what I can think/say/do and being annoyed by the constant apologist behavior of certain TV presenters that is the result of liberalist interference, does not equate to being a closet racist or homophobic, perhaps the "liberals" throwing round labels to everybody who may have a slightly different opinion to them stopped and considered what they were doing for a second, then maybe they'd realise they are part of the problem and are demonstrating the exact behavior they're labeling, and condemning someone else for. But I guess it's easier to label someone a racist or homophobe than it is come up with a decent counter argument.

Last edited by Ian-S on Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:19 pm 

The fans who

Lose interest when the driver they've picked doesn't win
Bitch at every change to the sport that doesn't keep it the way it was when they were 12 years old
Those who create threads on forums claiming F1 was Killed
People who make smart ass replies to these topics

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:11 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
these situations kinda remember what happened in the Gazza standup where he made a joke on his bodyguard and someone in the audience pressed charges on him for racism

in the 70's and 80's brazilian tv had a kids comedy show where one of the main characters was a black man and most of the jokes on him were racist, but he always responded with something even more funnier. They also did racist jokes on northern people (even though two of them were northern either). Is such a shame kids of today are still being able to racists, but cannot watch classic comedy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:59 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ian-S wrote:

Twas the answer I was expecting, what happens after 9pm and any relaxing of regulations towards that has no relation to the over-reaction of presenters to the slightest thing before 9pm which has, and I think we can all agree on this, gone stratospheric in recent times in the name of "protecting people".

Objecting to being dictated to what I can think/say/do and being annoyed by the constant apologist behavior of certain TV presenters that is the result of liberalist interference, does not equate to being a closet racist or homophobic, perhaps the "liberals" throwing round labels to everybody who may have a slightly different opinion to them stopped and considered what they were doing for a second, then maybe they'd realise they are part of the problem and are demonstrating the exact behavior they're labeling, and condemning someone else for. But I guess it's easier to label someone a racist or homophobe than it is come up with a decent counter argument.

Can you give an example of something that you previously would have said, that you now feel you cannot because of the PC brigade? Serious question. What have the lefties taken from you?

(Should probably clarify that people tend to get very uptight about apparently being told that they can't upset other people, but yet never seem to be able to clarify what it is they would like to do)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:06 pm 
The most anticipated member

In other words, the thread was created to defend Halo, right? Let's be real, F1 will lose even more interest all over the planet than it already lost in the past 10 years. It's not me who's saying, but numbers will prove it, no matter If we try to swallow Halo or not. It's gonna ruin the series, period.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

J.Morelli wrote:
In other words, the thread was created to defend Halo, right? Let's be real, F1 will lose even more interest all over the planet than it already lost in the past 10 years. It's not me who's saying, but numbers will prove it, no matter If we try to swallow Halo or not. It's gonna ruin the series, period.

Well actually, we've gone from sarcastic comments about F1 fans to swearing to TV to having the political debate that usually spills over on the normal RDT, so I think it's fair to say the rest of the world has actually killed F1. Not halo.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:20 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

We're a "cuck" away from being a standard 2017 political debate.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:25 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

amq55 wrote:
We're a "cuck" away from being a standard 2017 political debate.

Glass roof has tried to kill F1 in the past. And the democrats. And the greenies.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:01 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

gkmotorsport wrote:
Spoiler:
Ian-S wrote:

Can you give an example of something that you previously would have said, that you now feel you cannot because of the PC brigade? Serious question. What have the lefties taken from you?

(Should probably clarify that people tend to get very uptight about apparently being told that they can't upset other people, but yet never seem to be able to clarify what it is they would like to do)

See PM and have a Merry Christmas.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:39 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Just to give some perspective to this thread a bit, I was watching a classic F1 stream of 80s F1 (funny how it's very alike to 2010-2016 F1 with Turbo boost being able to be turned up and teams telling their drivers to save fuel/tyres at various points. Sure, F1 has always been flat out sprints....SUREEEEEE :P )

Anyway, in the 70s they decided to limit the Monaco grand prix to 20 cars on safety grounds

In the mid-80s they opened it up to a full grid again

Prost was furious about this, saying it was dangerous, would turn the monaco Grand prix into a wreckfest and would ruin races because the slow drivers would get in the way so much, whoever was leading would inevitably lose the lead because they'd be blocked so hard
He thought there'd be a trulli-train like pack of overtaking behind slow backmarkers because they'd be so slow and there was nowhere to pass them

It's funny how the outrages of the present become the quaint idiosyncrasies of the past ;)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:50 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
Just to give some perspective to this thread a bit, I was watching a classic F1 stream of 80s F1 (funny how it's very alike to 2010-2016 F1 with Turbo boost being able to be turned up and teams telling their drivers to save fuel/tyres at various points. Sure, F1 has always been flat out sprints....SUREEEEEE :P )

Anyway, in the 70s they decided to limit the Monaco grand prix to 20 cars on safety grounds

In the mid-80s they opened it up to a full grid again

Prost was furious about this, saying it was dangerous, would turn the monaco Grand prix into a wreckfest and would ruin races because the slow drivers would get in the way so much, whoever was leading would inevitably lose the lead because they'd be blocked so hard
He thought there'd be a trulli-train like pack of overtaking behind slow backmarkers because they'd be so slow and there was nowhere to pass them

It's funny how the outrages of the present become the quaint idiosyncrasies of the past ;)

At that point a blue flag was barely more than a notification as well :metal:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:44 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:

Only when you carefully choose the ones who got it wrong.

For every opinion like the one you stated from Prost, there's an opposite one that ended up being true, but people rarely bring it up again because it doesn't make for a good story.
In the end, it's still hindsight talking in both cases.

Also, nobody in their sane minds, or anyone who knows about F1, ever said that it was about being flat out all the time. It was certainly never the case from its creation up until at least the 90s. People who say that, usually implicitly refer to the early 2000s era, where indeed it was flat out sprints from start to finish.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:29 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
these days watched Silverstone 2003, at the height of flatout sprints and hard overtaking. worth more see the passes they made back then than the radio messages "let him pass as he's on a different strategy"

and engines going kaputt, the end of that really killed most of fun and the unexpected drama from those days

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:13 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Barrichello's pass on Kimi was one of the best ever

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:05 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Coldtyre wrote:
codename_47 wrote:

Only when you carefully choose the ones who got it wrong.

For every opinion like the one you stated from Prost, there's an opposite one that ended up being true, but people rarely bring it up again because it doesn't make for a good story.
In the end, it's still hindsight talking in both cases.

Also, nobody in their sane minds, or anyone who knows about F1, ever said that it was about being flat out all the time. It was certainly never the case from its creation up until at least the 90s. People who say that, usually implicitly refer to the early 2000s era, where indeed it was flat out sprints from start to finish.

It wasn't even then, 90s/2000s racing was all about conserving your car behind your opponent, saving as much fuel as you could, then blasting for 3 laps when they pitted, taking the place in the pits, then conserving the car again for the final stint to the flag

The amount of times schumacher said "I took the place with some fast laps, then backed off to conserve the car to the end" in that era was OTT

F1 has never been about 2 hours of flat out racing, those who think it is are sorely mistaken and need to watch 5 lap sprint car races or something

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley