All times are UTC+01:00

Yes, no?
Yes 60%  60%  [ 21 ]
No 40%  40%  [ 14 ]
Total votes: 35
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:28 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

2017 brought in big changes in the aerodynamics regulations - but one thing remained: DRS. Does it serve a welcome feature still?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:38 pm 
2010 TBK-F1 prediction King
2010 TBK-F1 prediction King

Yes it should go, it's such an unfair system. I wouldn't mind it if drivers were allowed to use it whenever and wherever they wanted.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:47 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

No, keep it.

There are many more issues with F1's technical governance and rules sets than just DRS. Until other items are taken care of, then DRS can stay.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:02 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

With the current aero regulations, it is probably needed. In a perfect world, the cars would follow each other closely in the corners, the different engines would have similar power/straight line speed, and we would have no need for DRS.

The problem is that there are too many variables. For example, without DRS, Lewis wouldn't have even got close to Kimi, but with DRS, it made overtaking Alonso and the Renault powered cars far too easy.

It might be more interesting if every driver had a certain number of uses during the race. It could be used for defence, or to go faster on an outlap. Slightly more tactical.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:35 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Keep it, I can't remember how many races I almost fell asleep to in the 00's because no one could pass, I'd prefer not to go back to that era (although I'd like the engines plz :p )

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

They just need to stick it in better places that don't make it a guaranteed pass. If it gets them to attempt an outbreaking move, that's good but just blowing right past is crap.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:02 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

DRS is needed until the aero regs are changed so that cars can follow each other through corners closely. With this year's rules making that as big a problem as it was pre-2009, it remains an ugly solution to a genuine problem.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:22 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

FIA really need to adjust DRS to more track and team specific. For example, there's tracks where it has close to no effect at all and teams that can't get to anywhere with it. Wouldn't that be artificial? Yes, but so are most of the other F1 rules like engine limitations and grid penalties. If the cars can't follow properly and it denies any racing actions, then there needs to be a change or a loop-hole to that, like there is a loop-hole to any dominance that has been since for ever. You don't need a budget cap if you have a team specific DRS, for example.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:06 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
they should make it able to use at all straights from the beggining until the braking spot

and increase the gap for opening from 1 second to 3 seconds

this or scrape DRS (and all aerodynamics gimmicks)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:38 pm 

Unfortunately its needed, but I'd rather see it go. However, I also like to see passing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:01 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

only if they remove the tons of downforce that's on those cars. Oh wait, FOM hates passing

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:03 pm 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

I don't like DRS but without it, there would be virtually no passing unless its wet or fast cars out of position

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:43 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

DRS is such a dumb solution to a problem F1 probably would have properly solved by now if they hadn't just slapped DRS on it. I'd be ok with them getting rid of it just so it forces them to solve the aerodynamic issues properly, even if we get a few dull seasons as a result. I reckon it wouldn't change things as much as people here fear. If it absolutely has to stick around it should be usable anywhere the driver wants and have a per driver limit to its use.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:11 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I would like to see it go. But under the current aero regs as has been pointed out by others it is needed. I want it to be killed by hell fire, but sadly it is needed.

The perfect illustration of how it should be used is from Ricciardo's overtakings in Brazil. It got him just close enough for him to make a move on Stroll and Massa? while not being the slam dunk pass that he had over others. If they could replicate DRS to be like that it would be an optimal solution.

Perhaps it could be controlled electronically by sensor? As in the FIA sets pre determined amounts the wing opens from proximity to the car in front. Eg. if the driver is 1 second behind it can open full, when he closes to within half a second it only opens halfway. Or how about whhen the nose is infront after a pass it closes so we don't have drivers passing with half a straight left and then completely pulling back over to the racing line before they even get to the braking area? That would create more side by side racing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:08 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

I'd honestly prefer easy passes than no passes.
The difference between lewis burning through the field and putting on at least a couple of good passes amid all the easy drive bys (going around the outside of the force india was pretty damn cool imo) was a lot more preferable to me than watching alonso and webber get stuck behind a renault in abu dhabi 2010 and not being able to do a thing about it, handing the title to vettel.

Drs came in as a temp measure while f1 promised to look at the dirty air issue to allow for closer racing without it.
Since then, the f1 brain trust has increased aero and made dirty air worse.
Until they actually do something revolutionary in the overtaking front, drs HAS to stay.
And for all those complaining about it, you're trying to treat a symptom, not the disease.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:49 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Just thought of a clever way to make it more interesting. Keep DRS, but you can only use it in the race on cars that qualified in front of you. So the poleman can't use drs in the race. The person starting on p2 can only use it to overtake the pole man. The person starting third only can use it on the 2 drivers starting in front of him. So we get rid if the easy passes during the pitstop fases. If you drop behind someone after a pitstop who started behind you, you can't use drs. Only the fresh tire advantage. More complicated to follow but less complicated than 8 different soft compounds to choose from (hypersoft in 2018? ridiculous)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HUAWEI VNS-L31 met Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:49 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

With the current aero + drs it is finally challenging but still possible to overtake. Cars are also excitingly fast. Certainly not the time for it to go. Unless the 2018 tyres really do it's magic on degradation.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:02 am 

Scotty wrote:
Remove engine penalties - Introduce budget caps

Those two things dosent work together. Removing engine penalties all together would see the wealthiest teams run a new engine every chance they get.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:58 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Scotty wrote:
Jan Larsen wrote:
Scotty wrote:
Remove engine penalties - Introduce budget caps

Those two things dosent work together. Removing engine penalties all together would see the wealthiest teams run a new engine every chance they get.

But if they had a budget cap it would eventually run out if they used a new engine every chance they had.

Besides there's nothing stopping Mercedes building 200 engines a year currently. As long as they use 4 during the season. They can build, run, destroy, experiment, dyno, test bench 196 of them.

Which I would imagine is happening already. Well not quite the 200, but still a whole lot more than the public thinks.

A better option would be to say that the engine manafactures can only make x amount of design/test/dyno changes on the engine per year, and have it a free for all on what they decide to change.

So for example they might say you can only physically have 50 components changed, 100 components designed, 75 components bench tested/made etc. That would cut down on the basically unlimited building that Scotty pointed out, and would prioritize component build and development. It would give the manufactures vast scope for development but would have parameters placed on them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Who knows how many they use/rebuild etc. Honda apparently blew $1 billion on making their engines more reliable, so so much for cost saving by limiting engines.

They will always find a way around it, be it an engine cap or a budget cap.