Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:15 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:14 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

J.Morelli wrote:
Interlagos in 1980

The Grosjean/Ocon clash would've ended up in the lake back then!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:50 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Karun Chandhok offered an angle on Bottas's performance - he pointed out that the Mercedes is pretty awful in dirty air, and Bottas was behind a Ferrari much closer in performance than Hamilton faced throughout the GP.

Add in the fact that Lewis's charge stopped at Raikkonen, and he really couldn't do much at all in traffic in Mexico, and I think Karun has a valid point. Not a complete excuse for Valtteri, but a point nonetheless.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:45 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

gkmotorsport wrote:
Karun Chandhok offered an angle on Bottas's performance - he pointed out that the Mercedes is pretty awful in dirty air, and Bottas was behind a Ferrari much closer in performance than Hamilton faced throughout the GP.

Add in the fact that Lewis's charge stopped at Raikkonen, and he really couldn't do much at all in traffic in Mexico, and I think Karun has a valid point. Not a complete excuse for Valtteri, but a point nonetheless.

Lewis' floor/diffusor was damaged in Mexico and his tyres were gone when he closed up to Kimi in Brazil. But yes, the Merc is very difficult in dirty air. So I'm not blaming him for not making a move on Vettel during the race. The main point of criticism for me is that he never really defends. Watch all his previous battles. And he did the same thing again at the start. He literally just moved out of Seb's way in T1.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:45 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Coldtyre wrote:
J.Morelli wrote:
Interlagos in 1980

The Grosjean/Ocon clash would've ended up in the lake back then!

I think the cars in the foreground are actually at the turn-in to the corner where those two, and Lewis, crashed this year but going the opposite way. They're heading towards what is now the Descida do Lago or Turn 4. When they created the shorter layout, from the moment they come off the Senna S, down the back straight, through Descida do Lago and up to Ferradura they're running contrary to the old circuit's direction of travel.

Picture is 1975 I think ... I think the car in the foreground is a Martini Brabham and the second a Ferrari 312B3 because the 312T didn't appear until later. I should be studying.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:04 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor

Yeah I thought the same thing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:33 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Justin Time wrote:
gkmotorsport wrote:

Lewis' floor/diffusor was damaged in Mexico and his tyres were gone when he closed up to Kimi in Brazil. But yes, the Merc is very difficult in dirty air. So I'm not blaming him for not making a move on Vettel during the race. The main point of criticism for me is that he never really defends. Watch all his previous battles. And he did the same thing again at the start. He literally just moved out of Seb's way in T1.

Yeah, you are completely right about the start. Had he used his elbows more effectively, the race was his to take.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:33 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

gkmotorsport wrote:

Very valid points.

Skickat från min SM-G870F via Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:48 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

BrainPain wrote:
gkmotorsport wrote:

Very valid points.

Skickat från min SM-G870F via Tapatalk

The only exception to Chandhok’s points is that half of Lewis’ rear diffuser was damaged in Mexico resulting in a big aero imbalance.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13279 ... -in-mexico

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:57 pm 

great F1 driver Karun Chandok

The only reason to follow him in the paddock is that the lovely Lee McKenzie usually is around.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:19 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

gkmotorsport wrote:
Justin Time wrote:
gkmotorsport wrote:

Yeah, you are completely right about the start. Had he used his elbows more effectively, the race was his to take.

I dunno, we bitch when Vettel/Lewis or whoever chop over at the start, and we bitch when they don't

I think Bottas had already lost the lead within half a second of the lights going out really, if he'd have come over on Vettel we'd have another Singapore on our hands (and likely another Lewis win to boot)

Now, if the championship was still alive, maybe we'd be seeing a different outcome at T1
As it is, he Webber'd the start and causing a crash after that wouldn't have helped anyone but Lewis

Fabs wrote:
great F1 driver Karun Chandok

The only reason to follow him in the paddock is that the lovely Lee McKenzie usually is around.

I actually find him a lot more interesting and in depth these days than Ted "believes his own hype and will get lost with Crofty on some irrelevant tangent for 5 mins or more" Kravitz

As we have noticed, you don't need to be particularly good at the sport to be a good broadcaster, just that bank of knowledge from being a part of it is enough

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:17 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

codename_47 wrote:
gkmotorsport wrote:
Justin Time wrote:

I dunno, we bitch when Vettel/Lewis or whoever chop over at the start, and we bitch when they don't

I think Bottas had already lost the lead within half a second of the lights going out really, if he'd have come over on Vettel we'd have another Singapore on our hands (and likely another Lewis win to boot)

Now, if the championship was still alive, maybe we'd be seeing a different outcome at T1
As it is, he Webber'd the start and causing a crash after that wouldn't have helped anyone but Lewis

Well, if you do a Vettel (to quote Webber: „He seems to think the car ends at the back of his helmet.“), then you deserve to be criticised. But on the other end of the spectrum, if you don‘t attempt to secure your position at all and literally move out of your opponents way, then you do deserve to be criticised too. You are aware that you can fight for a position without crashing into someone, right? There is a middle ground. And no, Bottas didn’t lose the position in the first half second. But I’m guess it’s all a good thing, at least we have something to talk about :wave:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:14 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Codename, you're simplifying any defensive action by calling it "chopping over". Singapore happened because there were more cars than usual alongside. The usual situation is that you have one car on your side, so if you ever so slightly miss your start (or even if you go perfectly well), you can move over firmly to defend your line until there's about 1.1 car-width between you and the line/wall.

At worst, they stay in and you lose the position. At best, you scare the other driver or make them second-guess their move and back off. Heck, if you move violently enough you may cover him up before he even gets alongside even if his start was perfect.

Yes, at the absolute worst, there's a third someone who jumped the start and you end up wrecking, but that's 1% of the time and shit happens. Vandoorne/Ricciardo/Magnussen ended up coming together, but they showed some sort of aggression and will to gain/defend positions at the start, which is what you expect from a racing driver. I mean, he didn't even try to go way outside after clearly losing ground, and try a better exit into 2 and 3. He awkwardly positioned his car at the worst possible place that made him lose the position, get a poor entry, get a poor exit.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:43 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Maybe i was just betrayed by the low angle from the inside at turn 1 but it did look like Bottas squeezed as much as he could get away with at the first corner and was trying to run around the outside before he realised vettel would run him too far out wide to get any kind of advantage in 2 and down to 3

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley