TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:52 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 12
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:37 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Justin Time wrote:
Because the criticism isn’t about the penalty itself, it’s about the FIA handling the same “breach of rules” in different ways. For instance Sainz also cut the corner with all four wheels off track while overtaking a Force India, but nothing happened to him.
But he didn't pass the FI, did he? They were battling and Sainz lost his position (it is not a justification but to make it clear).

BrainPain wrote:
I don't really get the complaint about Verstappen getting a penalty. Should it be allowed to just literally take a shorter, straighter route through a corner to pass a driver? Because that is what happened.
I believe Pedro de la Rosa's tweet explains very well what's going on. "It's always the same problem, flat kerbs with tarmac offside. No driver deserved penalty, but one got it. Inconstancy is the issue".

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:21 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I’m gonna sound like a nutcase here but would his age play any role here?
We talked about it before and he would be allowed to spray the champagne but how many Americans truly know the rules? Having a 20 year old drinking champagne would cause an outrage on social media.

I just can’t shake the feeling this is an easy cop out

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:36 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I hardly think Americans complaining on social media about him with champagne was the reason

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:57 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

The penalty was for "leaving the track and gaining an advantage", which was pretty clear cut.

Instead of accepting the decision without argument and moving on, they had to act like spoilt little bitches. No respect gained for such idiotic behaviour.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:09 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I admire, and I think most of us do, Max's spirit of seizing half a chance to gain a position ... but it is quite clear that he gained an advantage. Docklands Light Railway is right about unfair application of the rule but I do think the rule was applied correctly in Max's case, just not in others. If I get caught speeding when others speed all of the time, I'm unlucky perhaps but it doesn't make me less guilty.

Niki's exaggerating but to an extent I think most of us agree with him that the problem is track design. It doesn't need to be a wall but put some grass there and that move wouldn't have worked, even if Max had been brave enough to try and go inside Kimi on the grass, his superior grip wouldn't have been so advantageous on anything other than asphalt - and a white line really isn't going to stop people, and encourages them to push it to the limits (Scarface) more than the walls of Monaco or Singapore.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:51 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

This might be a stretch but I honestly don't think there would be so much dispute about this decision if Max had made that move on Kimi in the middle of the race and for 7th place for example. The fact that it was on the last lap for a podium position in a race where he came from behind just seems to magnify it even more.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:29 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Karan wrote:
This might be a stretch but I honestly don't think there would be so much dispute about this decision if Max had made that move on Kimi in the middle of the race and for 7th place for example. The fact that it was on the last lap for a podium position in a race where he came from behind just seems to magnify it even more.

I do think Ferrari would have complained and the positions would have been reversed on track - which is effectively what the five second penalty was for. Two high-profile teams and drivers, I think it would always have attracted steward attention. Max making an ultimately inevitable pass on a Sauber might have escaped it, even a pass among two drivers at lower-stock teams. I think certain team staff saying "We're talking to Charlie" have more weight than others and Ferrari and Red Bull will always be squeaky wheels that get the grease.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:32 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Regardless wether it was allowed or not. Its another blow to the American F1 fan. Every American racing fan, regardless of what series they love, have a group orgasm over "the pass" by Zanardi. In a way this pass reminds them of that. At least on a mentality side of things. And then it gets punished.

Also, after Mexico last year they promised they wouldnt take a driver out of the podium ceremony but reverse the order afterwards. First time the situation comes up again, they take the driver out of the ceremony.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:15 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Well pointed, on the worst way that it could ever happen.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 12