TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 2:36 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 468 posts ]  Go to page Previous 120 21 22 23 24 Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:15 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

codename_47 wrote:
This year had the entire field spread too far out to do anything about passing.

That's what I thought about half a lap into the race. Surely, there were still some fights in here and there, because of it being lap 1, but I felt after lap 1 they were already quite far apart.

The race overall was ok. Nothing special, nothing too bad, at least some fights came up at the end of the race. I'm a bit skeptical how that will be but I think China will be a little different so I'll wait for another 2 races to see.

I think a lot of things happened that caused the race to be the way it was so I'll just see.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:21 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
Soul Reaver wrote:
I was looking forward to see how they did at Malasia next, and the sun at Bahrein, but....

Still, lot's of rookies midfield and DNFs surely didn't help the midfield race. And Sauber old engine.

Bahrain is at night, so heat will not be an issue

And Malasia isn't the second race of the year anymore, that's the after the "But..." part. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:34 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:52 pm 

Soul Reaver wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:15 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Artur Craft wrote:
DinoMarko93 wrote:
Hamiltons tryes were dead so they had to pit him, but Verstappen ruined his race. Bad call, seems like they lost the race.

Correct. It was a bad call from Merc but Lewis' tyres were gone as they were expecting him to be doing 1.28.0 but the best he was being able to do was 1.28.5

I think they got it quite okay with the tyres. They still degrade quite more than on Bridgestone/Michelin days, but not in a artificial way. It's a decent wear

codename_47 wrote:
cambridge wrote:
Oh my, some good racing actually there

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 3 utilizzando Tapatalk

Where?

May I ask you something? Why did you start watching F1, in the first place? The "boring" thing(no stupid cheese tyres, no DRS, no passing fest) has always been F1. What you like is very recent in the history of this sport.

Albeit this wasn't an awesome race, I'm sure it was better than the average 2014 race or the only 2015 race that I watched.

There will be more passing and battles on China and Bahrain people. It will always be difficult in some places. For instance, it's daft to expect overtakings, if any at all, at Monaco.

When you're young, you watch because your parents/friends watch and you don't analyse it critically, it's just on, you watch it, it's over, you move on

Then as you grow up you start to question why things are the way they are, and it wasn't until they removed refueling did i realise how much it had blighted the sport.

Then from 2009 to 2016 I was pretty happy with the sport and spent my time defending it to those who wanted to trash it based on their pre-determined notions of DRS passing being easy (plenty more passes back then happened outside of DRS zones too) or tyres life or whatever.
Now the sport has taken a wrong turn, the engineers knew it was a wrong turn the second the rules were agreed on, we've been predicting it will be boring all off season, now the cars are on track and the theory has become fact, apparently noticing that a bad thing and we should just accept the sport for the boring way it is.

I don't accept "F1 is hard to pass, this is the way its always been" as an argument. Just because it goes in the wrong direction with some rule sets (1994 especially) but no rule set is ever permenant

While I'm not happy with the current rules, it's only 3 years until the next set and with Ross Brawn in charge I'm actually optimistic we'll get something more racy in 2020, so it's only a temporary misdirection

There's no reason why F1 shouldn't be entertaining as well as everything else it is.
If it isn't, no-one would watch and then there wouldn't be a sport to moan about in the first place ;)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:38 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
I don't accept "F1 is hard to pass, this is the way its always been" as an argument. Just because it goes in the wrong direction with some rule sets (1994 especially) but no rule set is ever permenant

I've never understood this argument, particularly as you have to ignore pretty much all of F1 before the late 80s in order to make it :?

Autosport had an article not too long ago, which showed that what is perceived as 'hard to pass' F1 only really started in the early 90s, and then got dramatically worse after refuelling came back in on account of teams discovering the pit lane pass.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:03 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

gkmotorsport wrote:
codename_47 wrote:

I've never understood this argument, particularly as you have to ignore pretty much all of F1 before the late 80s in order to make it :?

Autosport had an article not too long ago, which showed that what is perceived as 'hard to pass' F1 only really started in the early 90s, and then got dramatically worse after refuelling came back in on account of teams discovering the pit lane pass.

Agreed, I guess it's a generational thing

The people in the 90s/2000s who were saying "this isn't F1, F1 is better than this" were ignored as moaners for that period.
Then finally F1 did something about it for 2009 and particuarly 2010, F1 entered a bright period. but those who had only known the post 1994 era started moaning "This is too easy, f1 is rubbish, put things back to the way F1 should be!"
I don't blame them really, they just got used to it being a certain way and when things changed, it wasn't to their tastes.
So obviously Jean Todt when he came in wanted to put things back to when he was the most successful, thus switching the perceived opinion back again.

I guess there isn't really a "true" way of how F1 should be, but it'll probably always be in this "F1 is too boring, we need less aero" "F1 is too easy, we need challenging cars again" opinion cycle in perpetuity.

Team 2020 rules package 4 lyfe ;)

Twitter:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:22 pm 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Apparently there were only 2 overtakes on track the whole race - both were shown on TV

The Alonso 3 wide one wasn't counted because he had problems

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:53 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Scotty wrote:
Apparently the track marshalls are in trouble for letting people onto the track too soon, there will be an investigation.

Yeah, it's only ok when Silverstone did it in the late 80s

What fools running across the course, RAVING LUNATICS

Twitter:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:41 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I wonder what the penalty will be :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:56 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
Scotty wrote:
Apparently the track marshalls are in trouble for letting people onto the track too soon, there will be an investigation.

Tries to make a point about Silverstone using an incident that happened in Rio as example

hmmmm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:08 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Well it is Bathurst so some hooligan behavior is accepted.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:14 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

kals wrote:
codename_47 wrote:
Scotty wrote:

Tries to make a point about Silverstone using an incident that happened in Rio as example

hmmmm

Dude the first was the point, the second is like my Catchphrase any time any idiot wanders around my track
The F1 Version of "And that destroyed the front end of Newman's car" for NASCAR

And now I've got to stop, because I've got a lump in my throat that you don't remember that.

Twitter:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:33 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

codename_47 wrote:
gkmotorsport wrote:
codename_47 wrote:

Agreed, I guess it's a generational thing

The people in the 90s/2000s who were saying "this isn't F1, F1 is better than this" were ignored as moaners for that period.
Then finally F1 did something about it for 2009 and particuarly 2010, F1 entered a bright period. but those who had only known the post 1994 era started moaning "This is too easy, f1 is rubbish, put things back to the way F1 should be!"
I don't blame them really, they just got used to it being a certain way and when things changed, it wasn't to their tastes.
So obviously Jean Todt when he came in wanted to put things back to when he was the most successful, thus switching the perceived opinion back again.

I guess there isn't really a "true" way of how F1 should be, but it'll probably always be in this "F1 is too boring, we need less aero" "F1 is too easy, we need challenging cars again" opinion cycle in perpetuity.

Team 2020 rules package 4 lyfe ;)

But less aero is always good, whether it's open wheelers, sports cars, touring cars, etc.

The front wings this year are horrendous and overly complex, which is fine from an engineering standpoint but I personally prefer one or two elements on the front wing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:45 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

kals wrote:
codename_47 wrote:
Scotty wrote:

hmmmm

Wasn't there a track invasion after the race in '87? I know 1992, but I thought also in '87. Bloody Mansell fans :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:24 am 

As usual, here's a few photos from the weekend, will add more as I go through everything.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/100501641@N08/sets/72157678406352023

Saw the track invasion happening at turn 15 also, was pretty nuts seeing that amount of people streaming out onto the track while the cars were still coming past

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:44 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Nice pics!

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:07 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

gkmotorsport wrote:
kals wrote:
codename_47 wrote:

hmmmm

Wasn't there a track invasion after the race in '87? I know 1992, but I thought also in '87. Bloody Mansell fans :roll:

:ohmy: Bloody Mansell fans! How dare you attack us, the followers of the sacred moustached one! I'll have you know that yesterday's track invasion was cute compared to our rampages of Silverstone in 1987 and 1992. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

kals wrote:
gkmotorsport wrote:
kals wrote:

hmmmm

:ohmy: Bloody Mansell fans! How dare you attack us, the followers of the sacred moustached one! I'll have you know that yesterday's track invasion was cute compared to our rampages of Silverstone in 1987 and 1992. :lol:

Own up, you were the guy Senna kicked in the chest, weren't you? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:55 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Scotty wrote:

Couple of people were saying that it was a fuck up of the course car. Marshals were told that when the course car came by with green lights on they could release spectators onto the track, and the guy in the course car turned the lights on too early.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 468 posts ]  Go to page Previous 120 21 22 23 24 Next