TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 6:40 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6141 Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Or just spread the prize money out more evenly, there's no need for cost caps, the system would be self policing, Merc/Ferrari/RB are not going to spend $90Million if they only win £30Million, but they will spend £90Million to win £90Mil.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:07 pm 

Ian-S wrote:
Or just spread the prize money out more evenly, there's no need for cost caps, the system would be self policing, Merc/Ferrari/RB are not going to spend $90Million if they only win £30Million, but they will spend £90Million to win £90Mil.

A sensible idea, but we all know when big money is at stake then common sense and "sensible" goes out the window.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:03 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
is like a stalemate

if they say they're going to spread the money evenly, the main teams will threat to get out, eventually killing the sport

if they don't spread the money evenly, the smaller teams will shut down and the sport will eventually die

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Would Ferrari really quit if they lost the 'historic' payment?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:20 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The issue with F1 is that there is too much going to the wrong people for the wrong reasons.

We can't and shouldn't blame the top teams. They were offered the ludicrous payments and weren't forced to sign their contracts. On the other hand the lower end teams were forced. Pretty much a 'take it or eff off' situation.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:33 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Ian-S wrote:

Red Bull uses it as a marketing tool, as is Merc and Renault. If they win big with their core business and loose a bit of money in F1, it's a win.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

siggy wrote:
Ian-S wrote:

Red Bull uses it as a marketing tool, as is Merc and Renault. If they win big with their core business and loose a bit of money in F1, it's a win.

And if they don't win in the sport, they bugger off. Like Red Bull did with NASCAR.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:25 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

^^ Not when the "they" are locked into a long term contract that would cost them a Billion to break, if your theory was right, Red Bull (F1) wouldn't be racing now, let alone last year.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:49 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

The concorde agreement usually comes with other benefits to the top teams

During the breakaway time Williams got a nice bonus for being the first to sign up to F1 again, therefore giving the breakaway manufacturers a slightly less strong hand to play with

Plenty of other instances of teams like Ferrari and Red bull getting their own terms due to various political in fighting and Bernie sweetening the pot so to nullify whatever the storm in a teacup was that particular year too.

Still though, 20 cars sucks, the more cars in a race, the more exiting it is for we, the viewer.
And as Scotty say, it's only ever likely to go down now, who exactly is likely to or would even want to join in if they could?

(Meanwhile Manufacturers just keep announcing Formula E programs....whu-ohhhhh!)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:55 am 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

has anyone of you attended the Barcelona F1 winter tests? How is it like?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:35 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

mclaren2008 wrote:
Gaara wrote:
And still they'll only ever talk about cost cutting and just implement measures that just mean the big teams shovel the money elsewhere.

I think this little piece just about sums up why F1 is so expensive and why small teams like Manor et. al simply couldn't keep up

It's good being at the cutting edge of technology but that is ridiculous. If you've got a team of 20 people just to run simulations what's the point of an engine freeze? They might not spend 30 million on one horsepower gained but maybe we don't get 20 people running 20 simulations and thus taking out any variation at the front of the field. I don't understand how you can say this is F1 or what F1 should be about. Is this really human endeavor? It would be draconian to take away the computers but if there's some way to ban a group of IT guys from eliminating 100 different ways to not race and thus ruining the variation and unpredictability in F1, that would be ideal.

And people still think the engine freeze was a good thing. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:09 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Good news; Senor Oops is officially done wrt F1.

Bad news; He'll be derping it up in Formula E instead.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... a-e-switch

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:51 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

ptclaus98 wrote:
mclaren2008 wrote:
Gaara wrote:
And still they'll only ever talk about cost cutting and just implement measures that just mean the big teams shovel the money elsewhere.

I think this little piece just about sums up why F1 is so expensive and why small teams like Manor et. al simply couldn't keep up

It's good being at the cutting edge of technology but that is ridiculous. If you've got a team of 20 people just to run simulations what's the point of an engine freeze? They might not spend 30 million on one horsepower gained but maybe we don't get 20 people running 20 simulations and thus taking out any variation at the front of the field. I don't understand how you can say this is F1 or what F1 should be about. Is this really human endeavor? It would be draconian to take away the computers but if there's some way to ban a group of IT guys from eliminating 100 different ways to not race and thus ruining the variation and unpredictability in F1, that would be ideal.

And people still think the engine freeze was a good thing. :lol:

Think of the amount that teams spend just on payroll alone! No wonder they don't want budget caps.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:02 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Tobias wrote:

Did it twice in 2012 and 2013 and was good fun :) Cheap entry fee, all or most of the grandstands were accessible, walking around the track when it's 17 degrees and pick a good spot to take some pictures, standing on top of the pit building while cars pass by in the pitlane, sneaking into the paddock and running into some of the drivers and team members :)

Really calm atmosphere, no where near as hectic or busy as a Grand Prix-weekend. Can totally recommend it 8) :yes:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:31 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Jerom wrote:
Tobias wrote:

Did it twice in 2012 and 2013 and was good fun :) Cheap entry fee, all or most of the grandstands were accessible, walking around the track when it's 17 degrees and pick a good spot to take some pictures, standing on top of the pit building while cars pass by in the pitlane, sneaking into the paddock and running into some of the drivers and team members :)

Really calm atmosphere, no where near as hectic or busy as a Grand Prix-weekend. Can totally recommend it 8) :yes:

I can completely confirm that! I went there in 2016. 10 Euro for the whole day, almost all grandstands open, even the VIP area inside of T1. Almost no people at all, many with big cameras (just like me). You can really go everywhere, see everything, get the best shots with almost no people. For 10 Euro. I said I never go to a race after I went there :mrgreen: I can definitely recommend going there!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:23 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

SFM wrote:
Jerom wrote:
Tobias wrote:

I can completely confirm that! I went there in 2016. 10 Euro for the whole day, almost all grandstands open, even the VIP area inside of T1. Almost no people at all, many with big cameras (just like me). You can really go everywhere, see everything, get the best shots with almost no people. For 10 Euro. I said I never go to a race after I went there :mrgreen: I can definitely recommend going there!

Plus, you get driving cars for about 8 hours instead of only 1,5 like in a race. Testing is where it's at. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:06 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Martin Brundle is officially some sort of robot http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/01/12/b ... rt-attack/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:59 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
when I read the headline on the link thought it was something related to his 1984 monaco practice crash

wonder what happened on that crash as there's only aftermath footage

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:34 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
when I read the headline on the link thought it was something related to his 1984 monaco practice crash

wonder what happened on that crash as there's only aftermath footage

There is a great description of the crash in Working the Wheel - not surprising, as everything he described is great. If I remember when I get home from work I'll scan the page.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:48 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The camera was pointed in the wrong direction, that's why there is only aftermath. As for Brundle, I like his description of what happened after the crash. Running back to the pits, jumping in the car and looking at Ken Tyrrell (I think?!) and asking what circuit they were at.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6141 Next