TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 951 posts ]  Go to page Previous 144 45 46 47 48 Next
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:14 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

kals wrote:
So apparently Monaco is the third time this season there has been dissent from the Merc drivers. In Bahrain Nico used an aggressive and unauthorised engine setting in an attempt to get ahead of Lewis post-SC, Lewis then did the same in Barcelona to stay ahead. Then there was Monaco and the general consensus is that if the quali incident was not centred around one team (like Ferrari v Renault I'm Monaco 2006) then Nico wouldn't have kept his pole.

We will continue to complain about Lewis' behaviour but Nico is far from squeaky clean in all of this... 2-1 to him in these games right now and he's clearly rattling Lewis' paranoia. And who was saying F1 2014 was boring?

This is why I still don't get why Alonso got a penalty for his action against Lewis during the Hungarian qualifying in 2007.

But then again, Max and McLaren..

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:17 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Correct. And I've always been of the belief that should never have been penalised. It was great theatricals for the sport. But it wasn't only Alonso who got penalised remember, as McLaren also were stripped of any constructors points they would score that weekend.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:23 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I totally agree. It should have been handled inside the team and not with interference from the FIA, let alone two penalties.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:28 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Which I believe is how the Monaco situation was dealt with. That's not to say Nico's incident was intentional like Michael in 2006.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:40 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

kals wrote:
So apparently Monaco is the third time this season there has been dissent from the Merc drivers. In Bahrain Nico used an aggressive and unauthorised engine setting in an attempt to get ahead of Lewis post-SC, Lewis then did the same in Barcelona to stay ahead. Then there was Monaco and the general consensus is that if the quali incident was not centred around one team (like Ferrari v Renault I'm Monaco 2006) then Nico wouldn't have kept his pole.

We will continue to complain about Lewis' behaviour but Nico is far from squeaky clean in all of this... 2-1 to him in these games right now and he's clearly rattling Lewis' paranoia. And who was saying F1 2014 was boring?

Apparently the mind games have not stopped there. Before Qualifying, supposedly Nico kicks a football about. In Monaco Lewis complained to the team this was distracting him. On the face of it, that seems like a childish whine from Lewis, but it could just be a way to annoy Rosberg. Mind games are all fine and well, but Lewis needs to be careful with them as his comments against the team during the event will not end well. He's been driving with them for only 2.5 months so far, and he's already accusing them of unfair play.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:44 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yep. Agreed that Lewis should perhaps avoid biting the hand that feeds. I'm assuming you mean 2.5 months plus the 2013 season ellis?

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:52 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Yeah. Last year wasn't too important as he wasn't fighting for titles, so he was relaxed and fine. This year it's gotten serious and he's getting mouthy after only 2 months. If this continues on, how will he be when it gets really close to deciding the title? Or what if Nico beats him at Silverstone?

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:19 pm 
TBK Fantasy Football 2012/2013 champion
TBK Fantasy Football 2012/2013 champion

He can be calm and sensible. The podium interview was more what I expected from Lewis. Annoyed, not happy but with a sensible head.
It's going to be interesting to see how this season plays out.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:29 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

ptclaus98 wrote:
If he doesn't relax he risks letting Red Bull back into the championship fight. I suspect that Vettel's troubles are because he's testing all the new parts and they won't keep failing. There's a lot of racing after the summer break and if Merc hasn't squashed it by then, a months break will only do exponentially more harm than good.

That said, I hope there's fireworks and one of the Red Bulls comes through and steals the championship.

This isn't gonna happen. The Red Bulls are way too far behind, have got quite the points gap to catch up, and are just as likely to steal points from each other too. 100% sure it's Nico or Lewis who's gonna be champ this year.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:35 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

By the way I'm sure it's not news and discussed to death in the billion previous pages, but I still can't believe Nico wasn't penalized for that qualy incident, onboard looks clear as hell it was intentional, you don't continuously swing the wheel like that if you want to save the car so early in the braking, you do that if you want to induce a lock-up lol.

... I think that was a direct result of Lewis saying Nico wasn't "hungry enough" though - Nico just went into a whole new level of cynical games nobody thought he was capable of (I certainly could never imagine him doing it before watching that onboard). Lewis' mindgame totally backfired, and was successfully called by Nico. It's getting ugly.

Post subject: 2014 Monaco Grand Prix
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:41 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I don't think it was intentional. However. I do think that Nico was fully conscious of the fact that he had next to nothing to lose, so if he did go over the edge he would create a yellow and therefore keep pole while unintentionally impeding Lewis.

Last edited by kals on Mon May 26, 2014 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

But the stewards had a lot more to go on then we did with the onboard. Same with Schumacher in '06.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:51 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

I don't see it as intentional. He braked too late and was going to attempt to force the car to make the corner (on a normal track you'd just run wide) but eventually bailed down the exit road. Given the effect was the same, if he wanted to do it intentionally then he'd have just braked 10m too late, saying his braking marker was something trackside like a light pole, he caught the wrong one and he'd have went down the access road and we'd not even question it.

The only reason we're questioning it is because of the sawing at the wheel, which I see as his panic attempt to get the car to grip to turn in, something which you don't normally see because the driver has miles of run off to live with.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:06 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

That's not the only reason we're questioning it

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:08 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It is the only objective, factual reason. Anything else is speculation on the state of mind of an individual and his motivations.

I tend to agree with Ellis' explanation, except that usually you'll start swaying at slower speed to get it to turn in, he seemed to start wobbling at the beginning of the braking, still in a straight line. Brundle said that wobbling upsets the car when approaching a corner, it doesn't help grip it.

Maybe he was indeed under pressure and just massively panicked before the corner. He seemed really confused once in the run off area, I've seen people go off there and be much more decided on what to do to get out.
This is probably not a good argument, but I've seen my mother doing similar stressed wobbling at the wheel when she's confused in a difficult corner and unsure about the "grip" of the car. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:20 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

He eventually reversed back onto the track. Reverse gear isn't the easiest to find, so the delay and confusion could be explained by that. I also think that if he wanted to cause a yellow then he'd have parked it there and got out, forcing the marshals to deal with the car rather than reversing backwards. Some have said that reversing the car back on was a waste of time because the session was coming to a close, but don't you have to return to parc ferme?

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:28 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It's a logical and factual reason yes plus I'm not disagreeing with ellis. The speculation is only intensifying due to the facts that have emerged from Bahrain and Spain, which I mentioned earlier.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think he found the runoff just wasn't as big as he thought it was.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:36 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Sure, the reverse was fine, and I agree with the above.

It's just that omething felt clumsy with Rosberg's driving to me despite the pole/win. He is giving the outside image of someone confident that brushes everything with a laugh, but I feel he's more vulnerable inside than it looks. His repeated lock-ups under Hamilton's pressure in the race, even under caution (!!), the way he was a bit on the defensive side in the post-qualy paddock interview and felt he had to justify himself, are there to show it.

As was said before in this thread, even if Hamilton seems more affected off-track, mind games go both ways and are going to wear both men as the season goes on. This is exciting.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:12 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

To sum up Mercedes' drama:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 951 posts ]  Go to page Previous 144 45 46 47 48 Next