TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 12:01 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 137 38 39 40 41141 Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:57 am 

StefMeister wrote:
Let’s take the sound out of the equation & look at it from this perspective. The current power units are already producing more power than the V8’s & are about on-par with the V10/V12’s & are doing that despite been of a smaller capacity, Having less cylinders & using significantly less fuel, I just don’t see why everyone is so against that or simply opting to ignore that just because there so fixated on noise which has no bearing at all on anything that should matter (i.e. Performance).

That's because of the ERS, without them, they would be significantly down on power compared to the V8s, never mind the V10s, despite all efficiency gains in these later years.

More cylinders will inevitably means more power, all other things being equal.

Scotty wrote:
Engine costs caps would be the best solution. Mercedes could spend $900m of their budget on engines but they're obliged to sell engines to other teams for a capped amount. It would reduce spending as the more money and effort they put into their engines the more they will be helping the competition.

AFAIK, the engines are not drawn, unlike with the tyres, which means the engine supplier/manufacturers can provide any engine they want to their customers. I'm sure the Mercedes' PU on the Force India, Williams..... are inferior to the one on Toto Wolf's and Niki Lauda's team, if that's really the case.

@
codename_47
, the cases you mentioned are like exceptions, afair. The sport started with purism and was like that for several decades but for sure there were several moments in the 2000s where they loved to throw some absolutely unecessary SC, even if a mere plastic bag was in a place no car passed by, just to spice up the show

I'm liking how fan friendly Liberty Media has been on the official youtube channel. That Bottas' onboard is very useful. :)

PS: When I badmouthed Honda before the cars' launches, there were a few people here who were not pleased with my comments. It's okay to be a Honda fan and I didn't mean to offend any fan, it's just that it's very difficult to trust Honda and the situation seems even worse than what I was predicting.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:05 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

[tweet]https://twitter.com/autosportlive/status/840154857927467008[/tweet]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:18 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Soul Reaver wrote:
Man, I'm surprised as no one, fan or team staff, haven't mentioned that now we don't have the Token rule bullshit, so Honda should improve much faster than in previous seasons. I'm looking forward to see how this goes.

but to find 3 seconds?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:51 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Raikkonen just did a 1.18.634 on supersoft :ohmy: :o

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:54 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'm still baffled the Honda sucked so bad in the first place. They had plenty of time to test the damn thing. I'm pretty sure they weren't bound to F1 rules before entering so they could have had 2-3 full season distances of testing done.

I bet my left testicle that the VW/Audi engine RBR was rumored to run if Dieselgate didn't happen would be on par with the top engines if not better.

It seems Honda just don't know what they're doing. Renault missed the mark first time around but they got it to turn around so why not Honda?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:16 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Fryslân, The Netherlands, TBK-member since May 7th, 2003
Here we go... 8)

https://hasmclarenbrokendown.com/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:27 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Before testing started Honda said they'd built a power unit with a huge potential but it came with an equal amount of risk.

Autosport.com wrote:
"The concept is completely different," he (Honda chief Yusuke Hasegawa) told Autosport.

"It's very high risk, we don't know a lot of things about that new concept.

"We know it will give us a performance advantage but the biggest risk is whether we can realise that potential this year."

Full article - http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... -high-risk

None of what is happening should come as a surprise.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:45 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

At least the scrapped token system isn't holding updates back anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:54 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Diageo wrote:
Raikkonen just did a 1.18.634 on supersoft :ohmy: :o

He's past it, he should retire, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:18 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Problem McLaren are suffering from this week is an intermittent electrical shutdown.

They have canceled all media briefings previously scheduled for today.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:19 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

StefMeister wrote:
Problem McLaren are suffering from this week is an intermittent electrical shutdown.

I hear that is because they can't gets the lights working in their motorhome

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:33 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

kals wrote:
Before testing started Honda said they'd built a power unit with a huge potential but it came with an equal amount of risk.

Autosport.com wrote:
"The concept is completely different," he (Honda chief Yusuke Hasegawa) told Autosport.

"It's very high risk, we don't know a lot of things about that new concept.

"We know it will give us a performance advantage but the biggest risk is whether we can realise that potential this year."

Full article - http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... -high-risk

None of what is happening should come as a surprise.

But don't you think the extend of the misery is quite surprising? Sure testing is meant to discover en solve problems, but this is a whole new level and almost worse than 2015.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:05 pm 

micha wrote:
I
I bet my left testicle that the VW/Audi engine RBR was rumored to run if Dieselgate didn't happen would be on par with the top engines if not better.

I agree VW would likely be better than Merc but the thing is that VAG never really intended to enter F1. There is no point, really. Toyota was bad in F1 and it didn't harm their sells after they, correctly, got out.

Mclaren will have to make do with a Renault, next year.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

kals wrote:
StefMeister wrote:

I hear that is because they can't gets the lights working in their motorhome

The lights aren't the problem; it's the power source:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:21 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

The engine thing is something my boss and I discuss often.

2.5L naturally aspirated, 12 cylinder limit, no rev limit.

1.5L turbo, 6 cylinder limit, 15,500 rev limit (or whatever is applicable.)

Throw the hybrid junk in the trash bin, leave it for the sport cars. F1 has never been about road relevance, even though manufacturers have used technology developed in F1 for road cars, that result was never the explicit intent. F1 has gone the opposite direction, implementing road car technology (highly sophisticated of course) in their race cars.

All manufacturers have to sell engines to whoever wants one (cost capped), all manufacturers are welcome. Teams do not have to build their own cars (face it, the big teams always will build their own but smaller teams will happily pay Dallara, or whoever to build them a car.) Current safety regs and car must fit into a box A x B x C.

With an equitable distribution of prize money, simpler rules and costs that aren't in the $500 million club, it would free up teams to be able to think outside the box to exploit advantages where they find them. The big boys are always going to be at the front. What we need is to fill in the backend and provide smaller teams the ability to compete and develop into something. Right now, the rules and costs are so prohibitive that no new team (talking privateer) is going to make anything of themselves.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:27 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

iks wrote:
cambridge wrote:
webbsy wrote:
Just imagine how beastly and efficient the v8s or v10s would be now if they had the same rate of development and energy put into them that these v6s have had.

I do not buy that not environmentally friendly crap at all. Development pretty much came to a dead halt on them

it's not that they want more clean f1. They want more clean every day cars and the development they do in f1 will once again find his way on everyday cars in the next years. and i think formula-e is almost as important under this aspect. how many cars you know that have a 3000cc V10?

Uh maybe I'm in the minority maybe not, but this is racing. Racing and especially f1 shouldn't necessarily be a development ground for road cars. If it works out that some tech developed in racing can be applied to road cars, fine, but that's not the purpose of racing.

that's from your spectator point of view. But you have to consider the constructors point of view.
There are brands like mercedes, renault, fiat, honda involved, they don't want to spend millions of dollars to develop something that is pointless in the market.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:14 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I've found this cool explanation of what shark fins are for (actually, this guy sounds knowledgeable on racecar aerodynamics in general, and a lot of aspects he covers in other videos are very interesting even to the fan who thinks they saw it all :p ).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:43 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
hybrid power units could make more sense if they worked for more fuel efficiency and if the races were measured by time (2 hours +1lap) instead of distance

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:45 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

The legend John Surtees just past away aged 83 :(

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:50 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

"Legend" is an overused term, but in this case we lost a true legend. RIP.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 137 38 39 40 41141 Next