TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Jun 09, 2024 12:42 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 135 36 37 38 39141 Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:33 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Quote:
It's Vandoorne. The McLaren-Honda has caused the stoppage.

Oops.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:47 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

And McLaren and Honda have canceled the press conference this afternoon with Boullier and Honda’s Hasegawa this afternoon...move along nothing to see here.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:50 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Vettel is clearly under orders not to dip below 1:19. There are several laps where he could have done it but never got above third gear coming out of the last corner.

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:54 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

RtN wrote:
Vettel is clearly under orders not to dip below 1:19. There are several laps where he could have done it but never got above third gear coming out of the last corner.

Jon Noble reported that Vettel keeps backing off down the straight as well.

Mercedes are definitely not walking this year. The Ferrari is consistently quicker on the soft tyres, and right up there on super and ultra soft. It's getting very late now for Mercedes and Red Bull to take off the sandbags.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:58 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Quote:
11:54 Vandoorne's back out in the McLaren.

Quote:
11:57 RED FLAG.

Quote:
11:57 It's Vandoorne AGAIN in the McLaren.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

:slaphead:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:09 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

As a reminder, the Honda contract has 7 years left to run.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:10 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:11 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

Quote:
One theme we have seen so far in Winter Testing is these new wider Pirelli tyres lasting a lot longer than we usually see in Barcelona. The soft tyres just keep going and going, while Lewis Hamilton even completed 20 laps on the ultrasofts on Day Two.

Because of this, Force India technical director Andrew Green is predicting one-stop races in 2017, and perhaps even a change in tyres.

"They appear to be lasting a lot longer than last year," he told Sky F1's David Croft. "We've got a soft tyre now that can just about do a race distance in Barcelona at Winter Testing, which is sort of unheard of.

"Looking ahead to other races, that would mean we're going to be doing one stop. I'm sure it's going to get tweaked. Where we are now, we could see some quite dull races."

That in combination with the new aero sounds great.

Hey but at least the cars look much better, oh wait.
Oh right, the drivers are happy because they can push all race long now :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:32 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

[tweet]https://twitter.com/OfficialMinis/status/839808801230446593[/tweet]

The first stoppage.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:51 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fabs wrote:
Quote:
One theme we have seen so far in Winter Testing is these new wider Pirelli tyres lasting a lot longer than we usually see in Barcelona. The soft tyres just keep going and going, while Lewis Hamilton even completed 20 laps on the ultrasofts on Day Two.

Because of this, Force India technical director Andrew Green is predicting one-stop races in 2017, and perhaps even a change in tyres.

"They appear to be lasting a lot longer than last year," he told Sky F1's David Croft. "We've got a soft tyre now that can just about do a race distance in Barcelona at Winter Testing, which is sort of unheard of.

"Looking ahead to other races, that would mean we're going to be doing one stop. I'm sure it's going to get tweaked. Where we are now, we could see some quite dull races."

That in combination with the new aero sounds great.

Hey but at least the cars look much better, oh wait.
Oh right, the drivers are happy because they can push all race long now :roll:

If your favourite GP ever is one of these:

2003 Monaco Grand Prix
2005 United States Grand Prix
2009 European Grand Prix

then boy, have I got good news for you...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:12 pm 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

what is the penalty again if you don't stop for the mandatory tyre change?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:13 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Not long ago, wasn't the forum praising the Alonso/Hamilton press conference rant about how cars were too easy to drive, and how they couldn't push all the way ?

You can't have it both ways. Make a pick.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:55 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Tobias wrote:
what is the penalty again if you don't stop for the mandatory tyre change?

Depending on the circumstances, DQ or +30 secs after the race:

FIA wrote:
k) Unless he has used intermediate or wet-weather tyres during the race, each driver must
use at least two different specifications of dry-weather tyres during the race, at least
one of which must be a mandatory dry-weather race tyre specification as defined in
Article 24.2(b). Unless a race is suspended and cannot be re-started, failure to comply
with this requirement will result in the exclusion of the relevant driver from the race
results.
If the race is suspended and cannot be re-started, thirty seconds will be added to the
elapsed time of any driver who was unable to use at least two specifications of dryweather
tyre.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:28 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

I predict a lot of first lap tyre changes by the lower order teams in the hope of a safety car (lol remember them? :p) that means they don't have to pit again while others in front do.

Or Monza 2010 Red Bull strategies, build a big gap all race, then pit on the last lap.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:17 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

cambridge wrote:
webbsy wrote:
Just imagine how beastly and efficient the v8s or v10s would be now if they had the same rate of development and energy put into them that these v6s have had.

I do not buy that not environmentally friendly crap at all. Development pretty much came to a dead halt on them

it's not that they want more clean f1. They want more clean every day cars and the development they do in f1 will once again find his way on everyday cars in the next years. and i think formula-e is almost as important under this aspect. how many cars you know that have a 3000cc V10?

Uh maybe I'm in the minority maybe not, but this is racing. Racing and especially f1 shouldn't necessarily be a development ground for road cars. If it works out that some tech developed in racing can be applied to road cars, fine, but that's not the purpose of racing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:20 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
webbsy wrote:
Just imagine how beastly and efficient the v8s or v10s would be now if they had the same rate of development and energy put into them that these v6s have had.

I do not buy that not environmentally friendly crap at all. Development pretty much came to a dead halt on them

you have those hybrid engines on F1 cars... transported by regular diesel lorries and jumbo jets that also release lots of greenhouse gases

they just want to be environmental friendly to what is shown on cameras but they don't bother to increase air pollution behind the scenes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:27 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

codename_47 wrote:
I predict a lot of first lap tyre changes by the lower order teams in the hope of a safety car (lol remember them? :p) that means they don't have to pit again while others in front do.

Or Monza 2010 Red Bull strategies, build a big gap all race, then pit on the last lap.

The only time there would be a scenario where mid-field team has fulfilled the tire rule and the podium is right in the grasps when someone finally manages to crash/stall in a dangerous place, Charlie puts on a VSC for three laps, giving enough time the others to pit. Then when the retired car is almost recovered, they send out the real sc to run about 10 laps in front of the field to get them in the right order with lapped cars.

Then the other McLaren stops nearly to the same spot as the other and we get the sc run on track until on the final lap it pulls away to give a photographic finish (cars are not allowed to overtake).

This will of course happen in a race on a beloved circuit where we have super exciting qualifying to build up the hype and there's rain promised for the race day. It doesn't rain, but we get team radios and TV graphics and commentators telling us that it will in 15 minutes.

The race is action-free and we're all about to fall in to sleep until this vsc/sc scenario comes to alive and gives us falls hope for better, but only making the reality even worse. In the end we get some millionaire driver smiling on the podium and thanking all the fans for showing up. And the fans will boo while the interviewer on the podium seems to be shocked for their reaction after such a wonderful race.

There. I bet my scenario happens at least twice compared to yours, codename. :p

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:43 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Yeah, there does seem to be an odd notion in race control to make the VSC/SC as fair as possible so it doesn't disadvantage the top teams

Which does go against the actual reason for its existence, which is to scramble as quick as possible so the track can be made safe.

I've also seen this a few times in Indycar and V8 Supercars.

Race control obviously have more interest in a race than just making a track safe, it seems, they also think they're the arbiter of fairness for some reason

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:41 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I don't really see the point of going back to a V8/10/12 engine formula just because of the noise. Noise & Volume should not be the determining factor in what engines are used, In fact I think the sound/volume should be at the bottom of the pile when determining engine format.

Let’s take the sound out of the equation & look at it from this perspective. The current power units are already producing more power than the V8’s & are about on-par with the V10/V12’s & are doing that despite been of a smaller capacity, Having less cylinders & using significantly less fuel, I just don’t see why everyone is so against that or simply opting to ignore that just because there so fixated on noise which has no bearing at all on anything that should matter (i.e. Performance).

F1 has to move forward, It can’t be stuck in the past with engine formats & somewhat outdated engine tech just because they are loud. The motor industry, The technology within it & society as a whole have moved on & it’s right for F1 to look forward & move on with it. Smaller capacity turbo’s with hybrid technology is the way the motor industry seems to be going, F1 can’t ignore that & I don’t think it’s fans should either.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 135 36 37 38 39141 Next