TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 10:43 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6683 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1331 332 333 334 335 Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:00 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Let's wait for some official news

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:05 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yes let's wait for something more official.

But I'll still take this opportunity to say that I hope CVC are happy with themselves

Like Dieter Recken (sp?) mentioned in a recent article, it is scandalous that CVC is taking in excess of $550m per year out of Formula One yet there are teams struggling financially.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:08 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I doubt it'll come to the team disappearing, there's not much factual evidence in the article.

AFAIK, they still have no confirmed engine deal.

I mean, very few teams are in great health financially. Lotus, Sauber, Caterham, Marussia all struggling & I doubt Force India & Williams are rolling in money either.

But one of Lotus's problems is that their fallback option of Renault is basically in bed with Red Bull now.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:12 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Антон wrote:
Quote:
BREAKING NEWS: According to Ilta Sanomat, Lotus might not be on the grid in 2014. Operations could shut down in Enstone.

https://twitter.com/KomivesP/status/417256544896434176
http://www.iltasanomat.fi/formula1/art- ... 79156.html
:ohmy:

Does this Ilta Sanomat have credibility in Finland? Wow that would be kind of a shock. The fourth biggest team gone. Holy moly.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:15 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

And they are not the only team under financial pressure. I know we sound like a broken record but something has to change in F1 or there will be another 2008-2009 mass exodus soon...

Lotus
Sauber
Marussia
Caterham
Williams

...are all under financial scrutiny and you could probably add Mercedes, Red Bull and Toro Rosso to this list as well because it only needs to take a swift change on performance for the boards at those companies to pull / redirect funding to something else.

But as long as Bernie and CVC are pulling in huge profits, then all is good in F1 world.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:19 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

kals wrote:
And they are not the only team under financial pressure. I know we sound like a broken record but something has to change in F1 or there will be another 2008-2009 mass exodus soon...

Lotus
Sauber
Marussia
Caterham
Williams

...are all under financial scrutiny and you could probably add Mercedes, Red Bull and Toro Rosso to this list as well because it only needs to take a swift change on performance for the boards at those companies to pull / redirect funding to something else.

But as long as Bernie and CVC are pulling in huge profits, then all is good in F1 world.

Yep! Don't worry, I'm a broken record as well. Red Bull is fine for now but once the titles end, you'd expect them to go the way of Benetton. But that's fine because at the moment they're being bankrolled by Infiniti/Renault - it's Toro Rosso who will have the problems.

Mercedes is also pinning major hopes on the regulation changes so if they fuck up...

One major issue is that the spending in the sport, the technology and infrastructure is such that it is so hard for a new team and so unattractive for potential entrants. Marussia and Caterham have made errors, but they're not a bunch of numpties and in four years they've scored no points and made some, but not much, progress. Gone are the days when a successful junior team could improve a bit and be competitive in F1 (Jordan, Stewart etc). But then if there's a budget cap and Ferrari can spend that saved money on LMP1... then F1 loses out a little - catch 22!

It'd be great to see the likes of ART and DAMS have a crack at F1...but what the hell is in it for them?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:28 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Correct. The business model in F1 doesn't work any longer. For those teams who are in the junior ranks there is no clear and easy progression into the big leagues, which means the only expansion for those operations is into other junior formulae (Carlin - F3, WSBR, GP2) and then onwards into touring cars and / or GT racing. The reason for that is the existing F1 teams are so reliant on the existing financial package in F1 that any newbies would simply dilute money that they are so reliant upon... i.e. Williams denying customer cars rules back in 2006, which stopped Prodrive entering as a McLaren B team.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:16 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

But remember CVC aren't the bad guys
http://www.sportinglife.com/formula1/ne ... e-bad-guys

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:59 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I find it amazing that for example Sauber is still on the grid anyway. They have like zero sponsorship the past last years. How on earth are they able to continue? I can't believe the money brought in by drivers is sufficient?

Furthermore I find it amazing that no more big companies are taking up the opportunity to start sponsorship. I am thinking of Coca Cola for example, Apple, that sort of companies. A F1 car painted in Coca Cola companies would be quite a big publicity.

Or beer companies?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:59 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
why don't they strip it off all the techonology in favour of racing action. WEC is the proper lab for road technologies, not some medium lenght races with totally out of proportion cars with heavy aerodynamics to improve cornering

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:04 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

aerogi wrote:
I find it amazing that for example Sauber is still on the grid anyway. They have like zero sponsorship the past last years. How on earth are they able to continue? I can't believe the money brought in by drivers is sufficient?

Furthermore I find it amazing that no more big companies are taking up the opportunity to start sponsorship. I am thinking of Coca Cola for example, Apple, that sort of companies. A F1 car painted in Coca Cola companies would be quite a big publicity.

Or beer companies?

Alcohol is slightly problematic due to the restrictions in certain countries.

Plus Coca Cola is represented on the grid, albeit not that many know..

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:13 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

aerogi wrote:

I've mentioned it before, Sauber have had sponsors but not in the conventional sense. See here - viewtopic.php?p=697584#p697584

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:48 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

aerogi wrote:

Or beer companies?

Didn't Bernie steal a few sponsors away by offering lower prices for relative better exposure??

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:55 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

kals wrote:
Alonso plays the best mind games ever. Period.

Well, his mind games have been getting weaker and more futile in his growing years. Frankly they're starting to come off as more amusing and senile than anything. Won't faze Seb one bit. I'm sure he'll get a good chuckle out of it though.

kals wrote:
It's doing wonders for his public image and popularity.

You really think so man? I would say that's more down to him punching well above his car's weight the last few years consistently, solidifying that underdog mentality which the general public loves. Do you think he'd have the same image and popularity if he'd been performing at Massa's level for example? He'd probably just come across as a whiner in that case lol.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:26 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

micha wrote:
Didn't Bernie steal a few sponsors away by offering lower prices for relative better exposure??

Well two big F1 sponsors are Swiss...

But yes, he definitely 'stole' a big sponsor from one team recently.

Sauber do have quite a few sponsors ayway.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:50 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Karan wrote:
kals wrote:

Well, his mind games have been getting weaker and more futile in his growing years. Frankly they're starting to come off as more amusing and senile than anything. Won't faze Seb one bit. I'm sure he'll get a good chuckle out of it though.

kals wrote:

You really think so man? I would say that's more down to him punching well above his car's weight the last few years consistently, solidifying that underdog mentality which the general public loves. Do you think he'd have the same image and popularity if he'd been performing at Massa's level for example? He'd probably just come across as a whiner in that case lol.

In both quotes I was being sarcastic.

His attempts at mind games are pathetic and he makes himself look a laughing stock.

If there is anyone that falls for his mind games, it is Fernando himself.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:01 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

kals wrote:
Karan wrote:
kals wrote:

kals wrote:

In both quotes I was being sarcastic.

His attempts at mind games are pathetic and he makes himself look a laughing stock.

If there is anyone that falls for his mind games, it is Fernando himself.

Hah oops, my apologies then I totally missed the sarcasm. :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:26 am 

Justin Time wrote:
Антон wrote:
Quote:
BREAKING NEWS: According to Ilta Sanomat, Lotus might not be on the grid in 2014. Operations could shut down in Enstone.

https://twitter.com/KomivesP/status/417256544896434176
http://www.iltasanomat.fi/formula1/art- ... 79156.html
:ohmy:

Does this Ilta Sanomat have credibility in Finland? Wow that would be kind of a shock. The fourth biggest team gone. Holy moly.

It's basically a tabloid, sold alongside Iltalehti in major grocery stores. My Finnish friends reckon that there aren't very many reliable F1 news sources in Finland. Heikki Kulta of Turku Sanomat is very reliable though, and MTV3 has some insiders like Captain JJ and Mika Salo.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:41 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Few more Sochi pics

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthrea ... 19&page=61

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:14 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

So Chi. 8)

I hope this does not come out to be another Valencia. The scenery is awesome and the layout is somewhat interesting.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6683 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1331 332 333 334 335 Next