TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:33 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 696 posts ]  Go to page Previous 126 27 28 29 3035 Next

Will these incredibly twitchy V6 machines be able to take Eau Rouge flat out?
Poll ended at Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:12 am
Yes 45%  45%  [ 22 ]
No 10%  10%  [ 5 ]
Someone will try and end up in Malmédy 45%  45%  [ 22 ]
Total votes: 49
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:12 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I don't get why everyone is blaming Mags. How I see it: Magnussen had already started covering the inside line and Alonso tried to bluf himself to the inside, hoping Mags would open the door again for the untouchable Alonso.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:13 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

On the straight, i thought, Mags would send Alonso into the trees. That was frightening from the heli shot.

Maybe we get to see a better shot from some onboards to judge it better though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:14 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

If the car defending is entitled to take the racing line, or indeed any line he wants, isn't what Mags did technically 100% fine? at what point does it move from ok to not ok. This is not me saying what Mags did was fine - it's an actual question.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:15 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Eddie Jordan seems to believe Mercedes should prevent there drivers racing for the 1st few laps :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:16 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

StefMeister wrote:
Eddie Jordan seems to believe Mercedes should prevent there drivers racing for the 1st few laps :roll:

On that note, Damon Hill might not be too happy with Sky after they showed Damon asking for team orders at Spa in 1998. Damon of course this year said he doesn't believe in team orders and all drivers should be allowed to race.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:19 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Just seen the onboard of Mags against Alonso, when Mags didn't leave room. Mags appeared to be already moving over. In fact that move was identical to Alonso putting Vettel on the grass at Monza. Literally identical. Neither move is ok, but Alonso has happily driven like that against other people.

Not ok. But Fernando seems to think it's ok to do.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:20 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

They just showed a bunch of replays on Sky & Magnussen moved to defend, Alonso got alongside & Magnussen moved again & put Alonso on the grass.

There was a car width gap, Alonso got in it & Kevin moved again.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:20 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

MaskedMan wrote:
Magnussen made a brilliant defensive move at first on Alonso though. Alonso raised his hand to complain about a perfectly clean move, and I think that pissed Magnussen off. Reckless or not, he just defended against 3 world champions, and only had to let one through, who was on much better tyres.

In the hairipin overtake,so I'm talking the first try from Alonso like 5,6 laps to go,Alonso was alongside,and Mags was inside,oversteered and corrected,on bad tires,hadn't Alonso backed off,there would be a collision for sure. That's the reason for the reaction.
Later on he pushed him to the grass on the Kemmel straight,while doing 300+ kph,that's just ridiculous,one thing is defending,but another is being dangerous for others and yourself.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:21 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ellis wrote:
Just seen the onboard of Mags against Alonso, when Mags didn't leave room. Mags appeared to be already moving over. In fact that move was identical to Alonso putting Vettel on the grass at Monza. Literally identical. Neither move is ok, but Alonso has happily driven like that against other people.

Not ok. But Fernando seems to think it's ok to do.

I remember that move, also really dangerous.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:22 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ellis wrote:
If the car defending is entitled to take the racing line, or indeed any line he wants, isn't what Mags did technically 100% fine? at what point does it move from ok to not ok. This is not me saying what Mags did was fine - it's an actual question.

I think I read last year that the driver in front must leave a full car width between himself and the edge of the track, which ostensibly prevents a following driver from being pushed off in the first place. However, I'm not sure it applies to corner exits.

As for Alonso's 5-sec penalty - wasn't Ralf Schumacher actually disqualified for the exact same offence at Canada a few years ago?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:24 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

gkmotorsport wrote:
ellis wrote:

I think I read last year that the driver in front must leave a full car width between himself and the edge of the track, which ostensibly prevents a following driver from being pushed off in the first place. However, I'm not sure it applies to corner exits.

As for Alonso's 5-sec penalty - wasn't Ralf Schumacher actually disqualified for the exact same offence at Canada a few years ago?

If the rule is you cannot leave less than 1 cars width, then Lewis is 100% at fault as Rosberg was a nose alongside, and wasn't left a cars width.

But of course common sense tells you Lewis was not at fault for that accident. So the idea doesn't work.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
gkmotorsport wrote:

I still thought that the stewards would issue a "no further action for him"

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:26 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

alex1369 wrote:
Rosberg was everything but alongside Lewis, He wasnt even next the half of his car!

But he was alongside. Even if it was a slight overlap, it's still an overlap, otherwise they wouldn't have touched

Rosberg's entitled to have a go around the outside there. He had a run on him and there was a gap. He did realise it wasn't going to work and was backing out of it. But Lewis just turned in anyway, even though he hadn't fully cleared him

Lewis knew he had someone on his inside. He's not totally lacking in spatial awareness. He chose to squeeze him. He's done it before - I've already given an example. He thinks he can just force someone on the apex into braking and conceding a place, and so he can't really complain when someone doesn't back down and they collide. Rosberg might have made the passing attempt but the collision was avoidable until Lewis decided to take his normal line and squeeze him

As I said, I think if it was the other way around, the response would be "Hamilton have a go early on in the race like a True Racer but Rosberg chopped him off". It's all about perception. I hope Rosberg wins the title now, because it's now clear who Mercedes want to win it - they'll try and cover it up with neutral statements in the future but they've shown their true colours today in their emotional reaction to the incident

ellis wrote:

If the rule is you cannot leave less than 1 cars width, then Lewis is 100% at fault as Rosberg was a nose alongside, and wasn't left a cars width.

But of course common sense tells you Lewis was not at fault for that accident. So the idea doesn't work.

I don't see how "common sense" makes any difference here. If the rule is to leave a car's width, and Hamilton didn't do that, surely it's an illegal defence regardless

Last edited by James B on Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:26 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

Scotty wrote:
Vettel finished 52 seconds behind Ricciardo in a 44 lap race after being in front of him until lap 4 or 5, Ricciardo is humiliating him.

Would you have believed that if someone said that would happen a year ago? It's so weird, but at the same time so fantastic.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:31 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

BBC using Super Furry Animals for their closing music 8)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:33 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Brundle spoke to Pirelli & apparently if the front wing touches the area from the top of the sidewall to the top of the Pirelli logo there's a 90% chance of a puncture. However if it touches the tread or the lower part of the sidewall/rim there's a very low chance of a puncture.

Last edited by StefMeister on Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:34 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

dicksplaash wrote:
Scotty wrote:
Vettel finished 52 seconds behind Ricciardo in a 44 lap race after being in front of him until lap 4 or 5, Ricciardo is humiliating him.

Would you have believed that if someone said that would happen a year ago? It's so weird, but at the same time so fantastic.

Vettel is being...well...Vetteled.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:36 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

From the horse's mouth:

FIA wrote:
20.3 More than one change of direction to defend a position is not permitted. Any driver moving back towards the racing line, having earlier defended his position off-line, should leave at least one car width between his own car and the edge of the track on the approach to the corner.
20.4 Any driver defending his position on a straight, and before any braking area, may use the full width of the track during his first move, provided no significant portion of the car attempting to pass is alongside his. Whilst defending in this way the driver may not leave the track without justifiable reason.
For the avoidance of doubt, if any part of the front wing of the car attempting to pass is alongside the rear wheel of the car in front this will be deemed to be a 'significant portion'.
20.5 Manoeuvres liable to hinder other drivers, such as deliberate crowding of a car beyond the edge of the track or any other abnormal change of direction, are not permitted.

20.4 and 20.5 cover Alonso and Mags's respective incidents, and the lack of specific mention of what should occur when a driver takes a normal line should explain why there was no investigation into Rosberg/Hamilton.

Last edited by gkmotorsport on Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:36 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Vettel was much much closer maybe even a bit in front with Lewis and he saw this wont work so he had to use the runn off tarmac...
But Nico thought it can. But it didnt work out...
But he forgot how both Torro Rossos overtook him there in 2012

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:37 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Vettel took too much downforce out of the car. It was really noticeable on the timing; he was good in S1 and S3 and a second behind Ricciardo in S2. Probably a consequence of him having a grand total of 11 laps dry running on Friday (thanks Renault!), meaning that he had to suck it and see.

Not to take anything away from Ricciardo, though, to drive as well as he did to be able to hinder a Mercedes on all parts of the track is hugely impressive.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 696 posts ]  Go to page Previous 126 27 28 29 3035 Next