TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat May 25, 2024 1:07 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 506 posts ]  Go to page Previous 122 23 24 25 26
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:18 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Bias aside, Sky probably has the best F1 coverage worldwide, probably along with Sky Germany's.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:52 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

kals wrote:
For any of you complaining / venting about Sky's coverage, I invite you to spend at least a season watching F1 via MSNBC and then see if you have anything negative to say about Sky.

I remember the late 00s watching shitty streams with their commentary. They still try and give nick names to drivers? What was one...Bob Massa? I liked their commentary for about 20 minutes but all of them just kept on making obvious commentary blunders that became old hat....and not to mention the adds every 5 minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:25 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

webbsy wrote:
kals wrote:
For any of you complaining / venting about Sky's coverage, I invite you to spend at least a season watching F1 via MSNBC and then see if you have anything negative to say about Sky.

I remember the late 00s watching shitty streams with their commentary. They still try and give nick names to drivers? What was one...Bob Massa? I liked their commentary for about 20 minutes but all of them just kept on making obvious commentary blunders that became old hat....and not to mention the adds every 5 minutes.

Yes and yes. Then add in their consistent overuse of the yellow onscreen pen. I never watch the pre-race as it is 30 minutes of nothing and I normally turn off the TV once the race is finished. A couple of Sky's pundits are horribly biased but I'd take that given the quality of the overall package versus what I pay for.

I wrote this back in 2012 and it sums up the coverage very well, save for Will Buxton who's grown on me since then and I feel is under utilized at each event

kals wrote:
The Speed TV team are truly terrible. I mean seriously awful. It's like listening to a James Allen tribute band. I gave up with them after half a season last year. They are so bad that I don't watch the races live anymore, instead I now wait for them to get uploaded to RFM and I download either the BBC or Sky coverage.

You can guarantee that during every GP, the following will happen with the Speed crew:

- The commentary team talks about "clag" being an issue for overtaking
- The commentators will miss some obvious action on screen
- Someone will do some random / unrelated to F1 blatant self promotion
- A commentator will blame the wrong driver in a clear cut incident
- There are constant mentions of F1 coming back to USA in 2012
- Bob Varsha will say "wow"
- Bob Varsha will say "wow" at something truly unremarkable
- Will Buxton will ask a stupid

And I haven't even mentioned the advert breaks every 6 laps yet.

That all said, had I not had years of BBC (and ITV) coverage to compare them with then I would probably consider them a lot better than they are.

And yes Speed TV is no more however MSNBC merely took over the coverage and crew from Speed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:08 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I really like NBC's F1 coverage. :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:10 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Dan Belcher wrote:

I'm fine with NBC's coverage as well, I'll be stuck watching some practices on a Sky stream since it's not shown on TV here, and I found myself muting the commentators.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:30 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Dan Belcher wrote:

Like is referenced at the end of my quote, I'm sure I'd have a different opinion had I not had years of BBC / ITV / Sky coverage. Calling it bad maybe unfair but it's not on par with the U.K. broadcasters.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 506 posts ]  Go to page Previous 122 23 24 25 26