TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat May 25, 2024 1:28 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1615 posts ]  Go to page Previous 124 25 26 27 2881 Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:08 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Absolutely horrible news :( :( :(

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:28 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

That is a really big loss. His role covered a lot of things.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:43 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm in total shock! He was an easy target over the years, but he was the man as long as I can remember. As was just said, he has such a huge role in the officiating of the sport. Plus, I imagine being in Australia for the race meant he was away from family?

I agree, such a horrible way to start the season.

RIP

Sent from my Umidigi One Max using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:10 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yes very sad for his family indeed. But let's be honest, he should have been removed from his position after Jules died. His failure to follow /enforce the FIA's own protocols contributed to a needless death.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:29 am 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

I can't believe this! Extremely sad news and impact for the sport is massive as Charlie had huge role.

Pulmonary embolism is fast and painless way to go, person kinda falls in a sleep. It leaves a huge shock for everyone around passed person as it comes out of a blue. One moment the person is there, doing things as always, next thing you know he isn't.

RIP Charlie Whiting. :flag:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:49 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

That's absolutely awful news. Charlie's been around for as long as I can remember, it's going to feel very strange without him.

RIP Charlie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:24 am 
Admin - Shareholder
Admin - Shareholder

That's a hell of a shock. Condolences to his friends and family.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:22 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Woah this sure is sudden news. RIP.

Wonder who will replace him. He used to be very nice to the drivers in briefings, I hope some light version of Jean-Marie Balestre comes in, for shits and giggles.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:41 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I think a point for fastest lap is a good idea, but do it for all drivers, not just top 10.

Someone driving 8th, 9th or 10th will probably not pit because they could be back to P11 or P12 after the pitstop

This would especially be nice for the backmarkers to go to the pits in the dying laps and trying to get the fastest lap.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:36 am 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

Coldtyre wrote:
Woah this sure is sudden news. RIP.

Wonder who will replace him. He used to be very nice to the drivers in briefings, I hope some light version of Jean-Marie Balestre comes in, for shits and giggles.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14209 ... ting-death

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:35 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I have been watching the episodes on Netflix, and I don't understand the negative reactions here. It's nice to have a look behind the scenes, have an insight on what pressure is doing with you. The Grosjean struggle, the team mates war at Force India, the relation between Red Bull and Renault...

It also showed that each race is actually very interesting and tense. It's just not shown on tv during broadcast.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:34 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Omega wrote:
I have been watching the episodes on Netflix, and I don't understand the negative reactions here. It's nice to have a look behind the scenes, have an insight on what pressure is doing with you. The Grosjean struggle, the team mates war at Force India, the relation between Red Bull and Renault...

It also showed that each race is actually very interesting and tense. It's just not shown on tv during broadcast.

My initial reaction to the documentary was something like "I don't need additional material about F1, I already know everything and no casual would ever want to watch behind the scenes stuff about boring season like 2018 was. I might actually stop watch the sports actively this year, it's not worth of wasting time."

After few minutes I was already hooked and binge-watching it super excited like "Holy shit! This is the best documentary ever! 2018 was such a great season! I can finally tell my friends who doesn't follow F1 that there's something on Netflix of all places that could make them see the stuff the way I see it! Holy shit! I can't wait for the 2019 season to kick off!"

So yeah, it's quite all right, I guess. 5/7.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:39 pm 
Eddie Jordan

Charlie was a great guy, he will be missed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:24 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

NVirkkula wrote:
Omega wrote:

My initial reaction to the documentary was something like "I don't need additional material about F1, I already know everything and no casual would ever want to watch behind the scenes stuff about boring season like 2018 was. I might actually stop watch the sports actively this year, it's not worth of wasting time."

After few minutes I was already hooked and binge-watching it super excited like "Holy shit! This is the best documentary ever! 2018 was such a great season! I can finally tell my friends who doesn't follow F1 that there's something on Netflix of all places that could make them see the stuff the way I see it! Holy shit! I can't wait for the 2019 season to kick off!"

So yeah, it's quite all right, I guess. 5/7.

I understand why they did this, but the thing that drove me nuts while watching it were the fake sound effects and fake exposition commentary. (wasn't as bad as all those documentaries from the 70's and 80's) Also the way that they cut the episodes together a casual viewer would have thought that Daniel Ricciardo was on the cusp of being world champion.

I really liked all the behind the scenes stuff though and the team radios.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:46 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Lets not pretend the narrative would've been the same had Mercedes and Ferrari actually taken part

Danny might have got a bit of a look in around Melbourne and Baku time but you can imagine Lewis' slow start to the season compared to Bottas, then Bottas losing out and Lewis ending up getting the first Mercedes win of the season would be the story from the Merc side, and of course Vettel's early dominance leading to his eventual downfall would be the narrative for Ferrari, and that's just the on track stuff
If they were made aware of Marchionne's declining health, the documentary could've been the most powerful there has ever been, let alone just in sport.
(That also might be the reason Ferrari said no back then, not just their usual elitism)

Max also seems a figure that is seen from afar rather than a character in the narrative, did his people also decline access to him for the Netflix doc?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:56 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If somebody outside of the top 10 does set the fastest lap, will it result in nobody scoring a point?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:20 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
If they were made aware of Marchionne's declining health, the documentary could've been the most powerful there has ever been, let alone just in sport.

Marchionne's declining health was a secret for everyone.

He made everyone (including other FCA big guys) believe his high-risk surgery for a sarcoma was just a shoulder thing. Truth only came out because the surgery failed.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:11 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

De Cesaris fan wrote:
If somebody outside of the top 10 does set the fastest lap, will it result in nobody scoring a point?

Yep.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:21 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
Lets not pretend the narrative would've been the same had Mercedes and Ferrari actually taken part

Danny might have got a bit of a look in around Melbourne and Baku time but you can imagine Lewis' slow start to the season compared to Bottas, then Bottas losing out and Lewis ending up getting the first Mercedes win of the season would be the story from the Merc side, and of course Vettel's early dominance leading to his eventual downfall would be the narrative for Ferrari, and that's just the on track stuff
(That also might be the reason Ferrari said no back then, not just their usual elitism)

I think it's not bad that for once it wasn't about Ferrari or Mercedes. They get attention enough during the year. It was about midfield teams that struggle a lot, and that's something that you don't see during most of the season. I learned a lot by watching it. I couldn't think of any episode that I would have replaced by a Ferrari or Mercedes story.
I actually missed Toro Rosso a bit. The Hartley situation could have been very interesting too. He was underperforming, but did he get the same car and updates as Gasly?
codename_47 wrote:
Max also seems a figure that is seen from afar rather than a character in the narrative, did his people also decline access to him for the Netflix doc?

Max got quite a bit of attention in the Monaco episode.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:31 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I quite enjoyed their spotlight on the Red Bull vs. Renault rivalry especially that between Horner and Abiteboul.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1615 posts ]  Go to page Previous 124 25 26 27 2881 Next