TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 479 posts ]  Go to page Previous 120 21 22 23 24 Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Except, Koba went left to try and go to the other side of him a little too early. People seem to be ignoring that.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:29 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Watching the BBC repeat, did DC just say "DRS Piss, errr...Pass" then? :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:31 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

The thing about DRS is drivers relying on it. Massa said that he let Kimi through so that he could get the DRS. That's what's irritating.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:35 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Why should it be irritating? If you have that capability why wouldn't you use it... Good thinking by Massa I say.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:42 pm 

Well for the first time in 20 years I stopped watching the race half-way through due to boredom. Life is too short to waste on a procession like today's race.

On another note, I spoke to Rory Byrne at a family wedding in Johannesburg two weeks ago and he was saying that Red Bull currently don't just have the best car, but they have the best functioning wind-tunnel in F1. Ferrari have been using the Toyota facility as much as possible, but they can't get enough time in it right now. Being a Schumacher fan I asked him why Michael wasn't a possibility to replace Massa and he said that it had been discussed but they believed that Schumacher would be about as competitive as Massa is right now, that they had seen his times slipping relative to Massa back in 2006 already... Sigh.

Which brings me to the bleak end to Schumacher career that was today's race. FFS.

Anyway, let's hope Alonso can keep in the hunt just to keep the championship interesting right up to the last race.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:52 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

phil1993 wrote:
The thing about DRS is drivers relying on it. Massa said that he let Kimi through so that he could get the DRS. That's what's irritating.

I think a lot of the DRS passes today were down to differences in gear ratios rather than just the DRS enabling a speed boost itself.
Witness Alonso sailing past the Mclarens early on in the straight on lap 1 (obviously with no DRS help) and also Kimi not being able to do anything about the other Ferrari in a straight line even with DRS help.
Obviously Ferrari had set their gearing up with a long 7th gear to enable overtaking whereas other teams had focused more on other areas of the track.

People are getting a bit entrenched in their DRS positions now, either pro or anti, but you have to realise there's a lot more going on with each overtaking than JUST DRS, be it KERS, Gear Ratios, tight lines into the preceding corners, tyre disparity or whatever.
DRS is just the easy go-to thing to blame without thinking of the wider issues.

And I agree with Kals, Massa's pass on Raikkonen showed great tactical thinking and forward planning, what's not to like about a driver using all the weapons under his belt to their full advantage to gain a position?

Twitter:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:54 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I've said it before, but I'd rather a DRS system whereby a driver gets X amount of time to use DRS - like in FR3.5 - and can use it wherever he wants. I don't like having specified zones and the 1s rule.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:58 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

phil1993 wrote:
I've said it before, but I'd rather a DRS system whereby a driver gets X amount of time to use DRS - like in FR3.5 - and can use it wherever he wants. I don't like having specified zones and the 1s rule.

I actually love it the way it is because its a tool for offence, not defence.

Under the system you propose, the driver in front will be on it too and then it's situation neutral once more and HOW is that supposed to help overtaking exactly?

No its great the way it is, the FIA are willing to keep tweaking it to prevent it taking the piss too much but I'd much rather it was there than wasn't.

I'd also much rather not have to defend it every single race when without it the race wouldn't have had the little excitement it did, but everyone's allowed their opinion ;)

Twitter:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:01 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

phil1993 wrote:

That was real good thinking. Sometimes, I do the same when driving F1 2012. 8)

I have never liked DRS. I hope they will ban it someday, and thinking about something else what give drivers more opportunity to pass people. With DRS, it's all fake, and we missing some great battles.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:05 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

codename_47 wrote:
phil1993 wrote:

Under the system you propose, the driver in front will be on it too and then it's situation neutral once more and HOW is that supposed to help overtaking exactly?

No its great the way it is, the FIA are willing to keep tweaking it to prevent it taking the piss too much but I'd much rather it was there than wasn't.

I'd also much rather not have to defend it every single race when without it the race wouldn't have had the little excitement it did, but everyone's allowed their opinion ;)

But wouldn't that open up more strategy? If you have X amount of usage, do you use it early on in the race, save it to do a banzai in or out lap or save it to make attacks at the end of the race?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:11 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

phil1993 wrote:
codename_47 wrote:
phil1993 wrote:

But wouldn't that open up more strategy? If you have X amount of usage, do you use it early on in the race, save it to do a banzai in or out lap or save it to make attacks at the end of the race?

It's to aid overtaking, I'm tired of everything in F1 being part of some massive strategic plan.

I don't want the teams sitting down with the drivers and planning where is the most efficient use of the DRS in the race the next day, I want it to be an impromptu decision, see car ahead, overtake car ahead. :p

And if a car at the end of the race used up all its DRS and was passed by one with some left, you'd still get the same kind of "too easy" whining you get now so in the end nothing would change except you've made the concept a little bit worse and reduced the potential overtaking by a tad.

If it was a choice between that and no DRS tho, I'd take that in a heartbeat ;)

Twitter:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:16 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I don't know, I just feel that once the teams understand the tyres there is little strategy. Start on options, change to primes.

I don't want to go back to refuelling, but it did open up some interesting strategies and there were great races that didn't have overtaking.

We're not going to agree on this :p But I don't think my idea is that bad, because at the moment you have a situation where DRS usage differs wildly each race. Having it being used for a certain amount of time would make it interesting strategically.

As well as that, you still have KERS to play with

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:59 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Did anyone else feel that the tyre compounds were a bit too hard for this circuit? One stop is not enough, it's like Bridgestone era all over again.

And DRS was fine today, without it we owuld have had jackshit. In fact, more often than not, it made some interesting two-wide runs in the hairpin then in the straight after it. There should be another slow corner there.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:02 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

coldtyre wrote:
Did anyone else feel that the tyre compounds were a bit too hard for this circuit? One stop is not enough, it's like Bridgestone era all over again.

I think everyone felt that. Looks like teams got what they were moaning about over a year, more durable and predictable tyres.

This sucks big time.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:06 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Pirelli is making the tyres softer in 2013, so we'll end up with crazy races in the early part of the year. Then post-Silverstone it'll calm down again.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That will always be the problem, the teams will always suss out the tyres eventually.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:20 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Location: let them make on all nascar tracks roofs,there u go, make roof like on a house and they can race

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Need a thumbs down button I think.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:49 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

*vomits*

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:02 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

Fox wrote:
:lol: :lol:

what is that good for?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 479 posts ]  Go to page Previous 120 21 22 23 24 Next