TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:42 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous 112 13 14 15 16 Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:40 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Well at least you were thinking the same thing I was ;)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:45 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Indeed. It gives us discussion points.

But either way, whether he meant it as a veiled insinuation or you trust Wolff's point to the Sky team that he was referring to a higher being, I wish we wouldn't moan about drivers speaking their minds yet moan when drivers behave like robotic PR monkeys. It seems that some drivers, Lewis being one, just can do no right in some people's eyes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:30 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

He has a habit of acting like a spoilt twat, and should be called out for being so. And for that reason I want him to continue to being so, cause i'd rather post on here about him being a twat than post nothing at all cause drivers have nothing to say.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:02 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I guess we all see things differently. In the past he's done and said some dumb things, on and off track, but since moving to Mercedes he's attitude has been different and much better to that of his time at McLaren. If you want to call him out for enjoying is lifestyle outside of F1 and for him being disappointed when things outside of his control affect his races, go for it but don't expect people to agree or get upset when people offer a different perspective. This year Lewis has had many disappointments, but I haven't heard one instance of him behaving like a spoilt twat. Same for Monaco last year or the various mechanical maladies of 2014. He's been pretty gracious in his disappointment.

But hey, I get it. You and others will disagree. And that's why I say we see things differently. It would be very boring if we all agreed on everything.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:07 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It's Hamilton's fault if we disagree.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:14 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

kals wrote:
Yeah, it's not like he actually said something that refers to his spirituality and people have immediately taken it out of context, or anything.

I know (i hope) most of us are just pissing about, but he did also say to 5 Live that it 'doesn't sit right' with him that only his engines are going bang. The Sky interview was probably a 'FFS God' rant, but the 5 Live and (I think) C4 interviews were a bit harder to put down to that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:22 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Lewis is expressing himself while not slating the team. His demenour is calm and measured. And he's right, these failings shouldn't sit right with him. Whether you're a fan of his or not it is massively unfortunate yet plainly obvious to see that he's the only one suffering (continuous) reliability issues versus all other Mercedes power unit users on the grid.

According to Toto Wolff, after his retirement and while the race was still going on, Lewis walked through the garage and talked to and thanked each one of his mechanics and engineers, plus Niki and Toto. After the race and in the briefing Lewis gave a positive and 'rousing speech' to the team.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:28 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

True. I think part of the problem is, as has been pointed out above, that he does use ambiguous language that can be taken in several ways.

Out of interest, what is your local dialect? In my part of Essex (yes, English is our first language!) people would say that something doesn't sit right with them in order to imply foul play. However, I guess this could differ. I had a revealing conversation with some people from Oop North that made us realise 'fella', whilst meaning nothing much in our area, can be taken as quite aggressive in others!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well considering his demeanour when he gave that interview, it's understandable why people were quick to jump on him slating the team.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:47 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

As an example, "doesn't sit right with me" describes how I feel about comments made recently about Monisha Kaltenbourn on this board. To me that phrase means something that feels uncomfortable, not good or right.

Gaara wrote:
Well considering his demeanour when he gave that interview, it's understandable why people were quick to jump on him slating the team.

Disappointed? Gutted? Sullen? I wonder why...

He'd just retired from leading the race where he stood to retake the championship lead. Seriously, some of you guys are looking for any excuse to berate him.

I saw that interview as well and while he was disappointed he also dealt with it with good grace.

Last edited by kals on Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

On another note, Vettel apologised to Rosberg for hitting him.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:21 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
I still find funny and interesting that an european openwheel driver can be as religious as a South Carolina stock car racer

in F1 history I only saw something like that twice: Alex Dias Ribeiro (Sid Watkins ride) and obviously, Ayrton Senna

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:57 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Jimmie Johnson did it!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:12 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Well lets say Lewis is in a situation like Vettel was in 2010. He had that engine failure in Korea and it looked all is lost.
But he won the remaining 2 races and performed perfect drives. So this is what Lewis needs now. Poles and race wins if he wants to turn it around like Vettel did

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:04 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

alex1369 wrote:
Well lets say Lewis is in a situation like Vettel was in 2010. He had that engine failure in Korea and it looked all is lost.
But he won the remaining 2 races and performed perfect drives. So this is what Lewis needs now. Poles and race wins if he wants to turn it around like Vettel did

If you look at his streak from Monaco to Germany, he's very well capable of that. But it requires the car to be reliable. This year reminds me a bit of 2014 when he was plagued as well with horrible reliability despite excelling in speed and racecraft.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:05 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Reliability has always been part and parcel of f1 and the history of f1 would look very different if it had never played a part. The suggestion that Nico would be an undeserving champion is quite pathetic frankly, it's not his fault that luck has played into his hands, nor the countless times it has occurred in the history of the sport. I feel bad for Lewis but that's the nature of the beast.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:35 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

How many races did Hamilton lose from his pole positions? How many points did he drop compared to his starting positions?

It seems to me that Rosberg haven't really lost a lot of positions at the start (I recall a recent race that he dropped down quite a bit)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:11 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

bigears wrote:
How many races did Hamilton lose from his pole positions? How many points did he drop compared to his starting positions?

It seems to me that Rosberg haven't really lost a lot of positions at the start (I recall a recent race that he dropped down quite a bit)

Australia and Monza are the main ones, but let's not forget that Nico also had a bad start but was handed the win in Australia thanks to the red flag and Ferrari not changing tyres during the stoppage. You could argue Bahrain also, but Lewis' start wasn't bad it's just Nico's was slightly better. What happened before the start (Vettel DNS) and at T1 with Bottas hitting Lewis meant Nico went unchallenged through the race.

But then you get into the reliability issues for Lewis. In China and Russia Lewis was hampered, the result in China being further compromised by being caught up in the aftermath of the Ferrari pair making contact. And those races was just the start.

The only times Nico has comprehensively outperformed Lewis in 2016 has been Baku and Singapore. Additionally, almost every time he's put himself into a racing situation with a main rival he's had an incident. Spain and Austria with Lewis, Germany with Max and Sunday with Kimi. His judgement in those situations has been questionable.

Having said all that, I wouldn't say he doesn't deserve the title. But he's certainly not the driver of the year. Like JV in 1997.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:04 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

kals wrote:
bigears wrote:

Australia and Monza are the main ones, but let's not forget that Nico also had a bad start but was handed the win in Australia thanks to the red flag and Ferrari not changing tyres during the stoppage. You could argue Bahrain also, but Lewis' start wasn't bad it's just Nico's was slightly better. What happened before the start (Vettel DNS) and at T1 with Bottas hitting Lewis meant Nico went unchallenged through the race.

But then you get into the reliability issues for Lewis. In China and Russia Lewis was hampered, the result in China being further compromised by being caught up in the aftermath of the Ferrari pair making contact. And those races was just the start.

The only times Nico has comprehensively outperformed Lewis in 2016 has been Baku and Singapore. Additionally, almost every time he's put himself into a racing situation with a main rival he's had an incident. Spain and Austria with Lewis, Germany with Max and Sunday with Kimi. His judgement in those situations has been questionable.

Having said all that, I wouldn't say he doesn't deserve the title. But he's certainly not the driver of the year. Like JV in 1997.

My main problem with Nico is where he goes in wet races.....

Monaco, among others, was not the drive of a champion and nearly handed the race to Red Bull (in fact it pretty much did before RB muffed up their tyre change)

Aside from the clumsy wheel to wheel stuff, that is Nico's biggest weakness.
Lewis needs to pray to his god for rain at the next few races. Japan, Brazil, COTA, all have the possibility of rain based on past wet races there.
(If it rains at Abu Dhaubi that might prove God's existence and that he's a Lewis fan :mrgreen: )

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:10 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

no rain

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous 112 13 14 15 16 Next