TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:20 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1138 139 140 141 142302 Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:48 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Gaara wrote:
Yep, would be much better if they'd put the start replays in while the race had quietened down.
I think FOM should look at using a PIP system for the start replays at least. Lets them show the replays while were still able to keep track of the live action.

Something like this, Replays full-screen with live action in the PIP box:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:52 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Yeah, that would be a good development.

Another one would be copying the MotoGP graphics in how they deal with the final qualifying segment - makes for such better viewing. eg:

Red = fastest sector times, Orange = PB sector times (I think), Grey = slower sector times.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:49 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

Yes yes yes ! I've been wanting to have this since 2006 lol.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:38 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

I want to see those hilarious NASCAR bump drafting air flow FX and track camber tilting onboard cameras in F1.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:06 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

dicksplaash wrote:
One of the places where the slightest fault, human or mechanical, would result in a massive accident. As Hill and Brabham say, it was a very exciting corner when the car was right.

This. Brundle said (in Working the Wheel, I think) corners like this are almost boring because you're basically a passenger, hoping the car will hold together.

As an aside, Autosport have an interview with Ian Harrison (Williams team manager in '94) about the events of the weekend, which I can post if it's appropriate to this thread. He is firmly of the opinion that the combination of low tyres from the (dreadfully) slow safety car, full (for '94) tanks and the bumps on Tamburello caused Senna to lose the front of the car. Apparently, the team tried to simulated mechanical failures compared to the data recovered from his car, and couldn't match the behaviour.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:07 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

StefMeister wrote:
Gaara wrote:
Yep, would be much better if they'd put the start replays in while the race had quietened down.
I think FOM should look at using a PIP system for the start replays at least. Lets them show the replays while were still able to keep track of the live action.

Something like this, Replays full-screen with live action in the PIP box:

Out of all the features and gimmicks offered by coverage of other motorsports, I'm still amazed that F1 doesn't do this. Bernie could even charge broadcasters double!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:54 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

What? that's responsible for FOM not using PiP replays of the starts?

I guess that figures ;)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:25 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Fryslân, The Netherlands, TBK-member since May 7th, 2003

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:41 am 

dicksplaash wrote:
AC's comment is among the worst things that have ever been said on this forum. And then his next post, feat. a " :roll: ". Stay classy.

From a different POV, people that claimed Tamburello to be anything other than an easy bend that took nonsense to a whole new level

The roll smile was used because he said a plain obvious and simple thing with a "lecturing tone", which is not the first time for that member

Anyway, the foe's list is here for a reason ;)

dicksplaash wrote:
One of the places where the slightest fault, human or mechanical, would result in a massive accident. As Hill and Brabham say, it was a very exciting corner when the car was right.

Not possible(apart from passing out, big bumps on tarmac and etc), ant that was my initial claim about this. Then gkmotorsports came with a "Berger thinks otherwise post" and some people backed him up.

I never saw Berger says so but even if he had said that, let's keep on with this "bring the insider view into the discussion" and throw the Piquet's opinion, a triple champion far more qualified than Gerhard, who said there is no way a driver can make a mistake there.

But in the end, I guess we can all agree to disagree and stop this digressive issue. Plus, I shouldn't have increased an OT debate, so, sorry for that

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:14 am 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

F1 in the 1990's twitter feed: https://twitter.com/1990sF1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:36 am 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

although it was horrible to see the car in that state (with holes in the monocoque), that Simtek was a lovely looking car. The helmet livery of Roland simply added to that.

I have never seen Roland race, and I'm pretty sure that the ones who did saw him as a backmarker - if they took note at all (as far as I recall, Imola was the last race of his contract).

Every year I see people posting about "So sad about Senna, but people forget about Roland". I don't agree at all. The tragic nature of the weekend means both will be remembered. If Ratzenberger's accident had been "the only" accident that weekend, then it is quite probable it would have been forgotten (and honestly, additional safety measures might not even have been introduced).

Anyway, 20 years on, RIP Roland.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:16 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Its not completely clear to me from the amateur footage, but did Roland actually flip after contact with the wall?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:24 am 

no, I think he was nearly on the side though

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:43 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Rencken's latest column on F1's finances has this:

'Rumours are rife that one of the four is down to its last £5m (10 per cent of the most parsimonious budget) with no relief in sight, and fears abound that even Thursday's meeting, regardless of outcome, could be too late.'

The four he is referring to are Force India, Sauber, Caterham and Marussia (the teams which wrote a letter to Todt questioning the legality of the Strategy Group under EU abuse laws).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:28 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yeah, I think I may have been misunderstood. Artur, you said:

Artur Craft wrote:
You can rule out lack of downforce with it. Even if he had a loss of downforce, it wouldn't have been much and Tamburello is not even a real corner. You can very easily corner it flat out even with no downforce at all

I pointed out that Berger may disagree with you because his crash was *caused* by a loss of front downforce. His front wing broke. This doesn't have anything to do with what Berger thinks of the corner. It's a figure of speech.

Artur Craft wrote:
Not possible(apart from passing out, big bumps on tarmac and etc), ant that was my initial claim about this. Then gkmotorsports came with a "Berger thinks otherwise post" and some people backed him up.

I never saw Berger says so but even if he had said that, let's keep on with this "bring the insider view into the discussion" and throw the Piquet's opinion, a triple champion far more qualified than Gerhard, who said there is no way a driver can make a mistake there.

I'm not really sure how we all ended up here. I thought the consensus was that it is a relatively straightforward corner unless something goes wrong. Has anyone said otherwise?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:16 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

phil1993 wrote:
Rencken's latest column on F1's finances has this:

'Rumours are rife that one of the four is down to its last £5m (10 per cent of the most parsimonious budget) with no relief in sight, and fears abound that even Thursday's meeting, regardless of outcome, could be too late.'

The four he is referring to are Force India, Sauber, Caterham and Marussia (the teams which wrote a letter to Todt questioning the legality of the Strategy Group under EU abuse laws).

I doubt it's Sauber because why go test someone who's not even a Friday driver if the situation is that dire?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:19 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Sponsorship obligations or Simona's team paid for it?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Have to say Marussia considering the road car department was shut down.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:25 pm 

adding to the discussion we had on page 113 (Tamburello vs Curva Grande). I believe the first 'turn' of Sochi is equally in that class. Can't believe nothing much has been made of it so far.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:39 pm 

gkmotorsport wrote:
I'm not really sure how we all ended up here. I thought the consensus was that it is a relatively straightforward corner unless something goes wrong. Has anyone said otherwise?

This thing(people debating when they think the same thing) is quite common here :p

It's good that we stop digressing with this ;) At least here we didn't go the "Vettel and Kimi are horrible hyped drivers, only ever won races and tittles because had super cars" kind of debate that prevailed on many forums after China.

Phil, thanks for bringing in what is the most important aspect of F1 nowadays. Income money is not well spread, sponsors are scarce and costs skyrocketed. It was a matter of time until we would lose another team. But hey, let's keep giving Ferrari 100 million Euros or Dollars, apart from their WCC position, because they are mega important and the main reason people watch F1 :roll:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1138 139 140 141 142302 Next