TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:56 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1134 135 136 137 138141 Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:59 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

webbsy wrote:
*Sigh*.....gone are the days when a backmarker would throw the car off the road in a pissy little spin. That's another thing to moan about with current F1...they don't even spin anymore.....though what is much better is that usually there are about 2-3 different camera angles of the rare half spin where as before we used to just get a shot of the car beached in the gravel and maybe if lucky a glimpse of the car coming to a stop.

So there is always that I guess.

You say that on the same page where Ericsson is mentionned multiple times.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:14 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Coldtyre wrote:
There might also be a lot more to the lack of spins than purely technical reasons and car reliability. Drivers themselves are now machines built up for racing since their most tender age. They have racing pumped into their blood and brains, they spend their off-time on life-like simulators, they train physically all the time for racing purpose. Not so long ago, only monomaniac lunatics like Senna, or Schumacher would do it seriously, now it's almost the whole field.
Heck, I was reading an article about Pierre Gasly, and they have psychologists following them regularly since they joined the LeMans academy (so, at about 13yo).

Is there anybody who is remotely looking like coming into F1 who hasn't been part of some sort of academy or have some teams backing in their junior days?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:37 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

IMHO we can't hope for spins when the cars have such huge mechanical and aero grip. The last time I remember spins actually being common was in 1995, when they decimated the aero potential of the cars compared to the previous year, with no real change in tyres.

There was another little spike in 1998-1999, but this was for the opposite reason of course.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Scotty wrote:
It's supposed to be $60 a month, but the good thing is if you complain about it, they drop the price, they'd rather have your business at a discounted rate than no business from you at all. A bit bizarre since they don't have any competition.

haha you can do that in here for pretty much everything, they improve internet connection and give discounts for TV everytime you call threatening to cancel the plan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:36 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

gkmotorsport wrote:
IMHO we can't hope for spins when the cars have such huge mechanical and aero grip.

That is definitely a big part of it. But also, the tracks themselves are part of it too. Paved runoff and really flat, mild curbs don't punish mistakes. If you run a little wide or catch too much curb on a corner nowadays, nothing happens. Back 20 years ago, you'd get sideways or put a couple wheels in the grass and lose control.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dan Belcher wrote:
gkmotorsport wrote:
IMHO we can't hope for spins when the cars have such huge mechanical and aero grip.

That is definitely a big part of it. But also, the tracks themselves are part of it too. Paved runoff and really flat, mild curbs don't punish mistakes. If you run a little wide or catch too much curb on a corner nowadays, nothing happens. Back 20 years ago, you'd get sideways or put a couple wheels in the grass and lose control.

Verstappen showed just that in practice in Brazil. Wide, two wheels onto the grass and spun.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:08 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Gaara wrote:
Dan Belcher wrote:
gkmotorsport wrote:

Verstappen showed just that in practice in Brazil. Wide, two wheels onto the grass and spun.

We used to see 10 spins or more in each and every session.

Even if F1 races were boring overtakingwise, there were many moments of spins, going wide into the gravel etc.

Last races I had a hard time watching the races.

It is the first season this year I really didn't care that much anymore. I missed most qualifying (this has become boring because there were no real surprises mostly). Then we have the max number of engines, causing drivers/teams tuning them down, or if they see a minor issues teams asking the drivers to retire the car. were is the time we had big engine blow ups in each and every race? Now we have silly penalties instead.

For my personal feeling, I think the only thing I look forward is Le Mans. That to me is still a real race, no kilometer wide run off areas, cars and drivers pushed to the limit. Or Stoffel would be a podium contender.

the final straw is the halo. Sorry but I will not watch something that is most likely to be boring, that has almost no incidents, were ultra soft or hard compount tyres seems to be no different and on top of that watching two hours of the ugliest F1 cars ever in the history. Even worse compared to the stepped nose.

So for next year they will lose me as a F1 viewer for the biggest part, except the few circuits were you can expect something to happen, because of the narrow margins like Australia, Monaco, Canada

My first race I watched back in 1986, the Austrian Grand Prix with Alain Prost as a winner. Those were the days :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:27 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

IMHO the grids are too small and the cars too reliable

Think what you will about the likes of Stroll, Ericson or others in recent years. While bad none reached 80's and 90's pay driver levels. We had some really bad ones. With more seats available its more likely one or two will get filled by the Inoue's of today. With the added hilarity.

Also the reliability is too high. While Renault and Honda are trying their best to reach 80's & 90's levels the rest is almost bulletproof. Renaults current record would be one of the most reliable engines in the early 90s.
During each race you still expected the leader to suddenly have an issue. Now this is almost a rarity.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:07 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

FIA scrutnieering must go to parc ferme before races and do something random in random 3 cars from top 5 on the grid

is the russian roulette of F1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:53 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

They should add ballast to the championship leader. And placed up high, to fuck with their center of gravity.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:48 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ericsson is apparently favourite for the second Sauber seat ahead of Giovinazzi, according to Autosport. What a shame tt would be if it turns out that way.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:05 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

what a joke :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:32 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ericsson would have fitted right in back in the day of pay drivers. The answer is simple. Just buy the team!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:38 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ericsson and Leclerc confirmed. What a letdown.

Skickat från min SM-G870F via Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:02 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Lame

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Obviously they need Ericsson's money, otherwise LeClerc is on the sidelines for '18.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:42 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

According to Andrew Benson Williams are unsure who they want alongside Stroll next year because Kubica's performance in the Abu Dhabi was inconclusive & they appear to now be unsure if he really would be the best choice in terms of performance.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42199674

Kubica making an F1 comeback would be a great story & I want to see it happen just as much as most others do..... But only if he can come back & be at least close to the level he was at in the past. Seeing him come back & struggle would be as sad as it was watching Michael Schumacher look rather average for 3 years from 2010-12.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:08 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

if they paint the whole car with that shade of red will be great

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:09 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Red and white eh?

https://www.teamvvv.com/en/news/comment ... er-line-up

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:42 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

what a joke

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1134 135 136 137 138141 Next