TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 12:20 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 296 posts ]  Go to page Previous 111 12 13 14 15 Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:47 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

The biggest joke this weekend (and this season, to be honest) has been the FIA handing out penalties like they're pulling them out from their arse. There's no consistency at all except that the multiple champions can get away with everything.

Verstappen's public service is a f*cking joke. Ridiculous and unheard of. Maybe Schumacher's penalty for Jerez 1997 could be comparable at some level, but then again not. Can anyone seriously believe that Hamilton would have ended up cleaning toilets at FIA offices had he'd gone pushing another backmarker?

If I'd be Max, I'd skip those public service dates. FIA doesn't dare to change it to bigger penalty. Losing the win is a big enough penalty. Ocon provoking and pushing back once should also be handled as a misconduct.

From my understanding it is allowed for drivers to unlap themselves. But what I remember is that drivers have made an agreement that you have to be way faster and you have to do it with extra precautious for the cars that are lap up. Then you have to be able to pull away. I can't remember when was the last time I saw this happen, maybe in mixed weather conditions or when a top driver has gone lap down due damage/penalties/pitstops. But every other time there has not been a crash.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:17 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

So a couple of young drivers had a bit of a shoving match after the race. What is the big deal?

Every interview a team or driver does already looks scripted, radio conversations included, and the lack of emotion from drivers ads to that feeling. And maybe it's just me acting like an old fart, but all the ads, highlights, graphics in F1 these days, look cheesy as fuck. No character at all.

Stop over policing every single thing a driver says or does.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:35 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Didn't Jos Verstappen did a similar thing to I think Montoya?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:01 pm 

Yes, but Jos Verstappen wasn't racing Montoya. He just misjudged the braking point (even tho afterwards he first said Montoya braked way to early to his anticipation).

In that light you can see it was way much more a mistake than the way Ocon behaved. He was really racing and going for it with Max Verstappen.

Still, it's very ironic anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The thing with Jos and Montoya was because the Williams at the time were braking much earlier then everyone else. They were rear-ended a few times at the start of the season, including the fatal Ralf/Villeneuve crash in Australia. Besides, didn't Montoya chop back across Jos and brake?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:09 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Gaara wrote:
Besides, didn't Montoya chop back across Jos and brake?

Montoya did not.

You're thinking of Turkey 2005 with Monteiro - https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xut3nm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

kals wrote:
Gaara wrote:
Besides, didn't Montoya chop back across Jos and brake?

Montoya did not.

You're thinking of Turkey 2005 with Monteiro - https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xut3nm

Honestly didn't remember the Montiero incident at all.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
I still believe it has more to do with this incident rather than Verstappen using Arca brakes on Montoya

and Ocon should had waited for Hamilton to hit him either, you know, to show some fairness

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:30 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

but didnt multiple teams/drivers complain about the sudden slowdown of the Williams during the season?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:40 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

micha wrote:
but didnt multiple teams/drivers complain about the sudden slowdown of the Williams during the season?

They did, they were rear-ended a number of times in the early part of the season.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:41 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Williams even put "keep your distance" on the back of their wing in Imola (the next race after Brazil) :p

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:07 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I think it's a 40/60, 60 on Max, He is awar of Ocon's move and understand that he can unlap himself. A wise driver should give him more room.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

DinoMarko93 wrote:
Stupid move by Ocon,he is a bit frustrated and he was no way near a points fight.
Also Max was I think unaware someone who was a lap down could fight wheel to wheel. In his position I would never consider that I need to take care in such a spot on a car who is way behind, a lap down and that I need to take care of that also. Max wasn't battling him / not lettling him go. He was I think surprised and was unaware.

That awareness comes with experience. It's like veteran motorcycle drivers who never assume they have right of way, because they know that they have the more to lose in a collision in the event that the other motorist is being a complete rule-breaking moron. It's the mature, realistic way of viewing the world and making it through safely.

You never have control over what other morons will do, but you often have some control over your own destiny, even when you're in your right and they're in the wrong. The Alonsos and Hamiltons of the grid know this, and it is acquired by becoming more patient and learning to tame your ego in favour of the end result and track position. Remember how cautious Hamilton was when he caught up on that backmarker battle at Singapore? If Max approached this situation similarly, he'd have lost some time, but would've been still in position to defend his lead with an undamaged car and while still on the track. It's a valuable lesson that if taken right, will make him one of the Alonsos and Hamiltons in the future years.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:56 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

In the end, we as fans were entertained and that's what it's all about.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:57 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
I'm not entertained seeing Mercedes win every single time

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:14 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I totally agree with what good ol' Jacques Villeneuve says here:

Quote:
“Ocon is an embarrassment,” he told Motorsport.com. “That was ridiculous. And the worst bit is everyone has seen what happened, and on the radio not even a ‘sorry guys, I was wrong.’ It’s good to accept you’re wrong.

“You can unlap yourself, but do it properly. You’re not allowed to put the leader at risk at all. You don’t do something that loses time for the other driver, and is taking a risk.

"Overtaking on the straight and you’re in front is fine. But that looked like it was a battle for the lead.

“But also it shows he has no racecraft, zero racecraft whatsoever. All the incidents in the last two years where maybe it’s his fault, maybe it’s not, you can kind of think that maybe he was in the wrong, because he hasn’t read the race properly.

"And he never learns, because it’s never his fault, ever.”

Ocon has been so overrated and in his clashes with others (namely Perez), he was usually never blamed which is incorrect.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:24 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Scotty wrote:
Any journalist who goes to Jacques Villeneuve for his opinion on F1 should not be allowed back into the paddock.

He just says divisive/controversial/anti-establishment garbage just to keep his name relevant.

Indeed.

Nico Rosberg is rapidly getting this way too, except when he's asked about Lewis he still has an air of desperation about him as if he's still begging him to forgive him so they can be best buddies again...
For everyone else, he just plays the Jaques role
micha wrote:

Pretty sure this ended up just being an urban myth/coincidence.

Patrick Head came out with the data telemetry at some point early in that season that proved they weren't braking any earlier than any other car. If i find the time later on I'll try and wade through old articles to find the one where he said that.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:35 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:
Any journalist who goes to Jacques Villeneuve for his opinion on F1 should not be allowed back into the paddock.

He just says divisive/controversial/anti-establishment garbage just to keep his name relevant.

So Sky Italia then?

There's a very good reason (many in fact) as to why Williams told JV that he was no longer welcome in their motorhome during race weekends.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:47 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think 90% of what Villeneuve says is bullshit that only serves to keep him in the spotlight. But the other 10% are very sensible things that worth be heard, like when he said Verstappen being in F1 at such a young age showed there was something wrong with the series, because F1 was supposed to be something too hard for an 18 y/o guy.

And I think he is spot on here. Ocon had the right to unlap himself, but this should never be in such a forced way.

On the other hand, Max was at least very naïve. And he was totally aware of Ocon attacking him, as radio footage shows, and like @
Coldtyre
said, an experienced driver could have avoided to put more risk in such a situation.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:17 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

EAS wrote:
I think 90% of what Villeneuve says is bullshit that only serves to keep him in the spotlight. But the other 10% are very sensible things that worth be heard, like when he said Verstappen being in F1 at such a young age showed there was something wrong with the series, because F1 was supposed to be something too hard for an 18 y/o guy.

And I think he is spot on here. Ocon had the right to unlap himself, but this should never be in such a forced way.

On the other hand, Max was at least very naïve. And he was totally aware of Ocon attacking him, as radio footage shows, and like @
Coldtyre
said, an experienced driver could have avoided to put more risk in such a situation.

I think if it was a battle for position, it'd be about 70% Ocon (he never did get fully alongside which you need to do if you're going around the outside there), 30% Max.
Since it was a lap down car fighting the leader, that sways it way more towards Ocon, with maybe a question mark as to why Max felt the need to turn in on someone who was a lap down instead of just giving him room

It's a great incident for provoking debate tbh, there's no 100% right or wrong

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 296 posts ]  Go to page Previous 111 12 13 14 15 Next